is this a new feature? It's really neat, though becomes annoying quite fast. I have noticed while browsing for a certain thread it can get in the way and you have to move your mouse to the left or right of the screen to see the threads. It makes skimming much harder.

I've noticed it blocks either the two threads above or the two below the preview.

just my opinion.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Oh wait, maybe it's just changed. Now it keeps the preview even if you don't hover over the actual link to the page. I dno, maybe i'm confused

>is this a new feature?
It was present before, but I believe it somehow got lost in the recent site changes that Dani made. There was a mention about it in one of the previous threads here.

>It's really neat, though becomes annoying quite fast.
No need to worry. There's a Control Panel option that can disable this feature.

well i like the feature, but i wish it could only pop up if say you hover over the link, or maybe even a details or preview button beside the link so that if you hover over it the popup will let you preview the first post. Now, that would be awesome.

i was browsing old threads (which have filthy language) and noticed the popup thingy doesn't filter bad words. =o

sorry this is random, lol

Tomorrow I'll fix the bad words filter. In the meantime, did you realize that the tooltip will still popup when the mouse is hovering to the right of thread titles instead of directly on them? This way you're not covering up any text with the popup.

Is it possible for the popup to show the last post in the thread instead of the first post ? Or make it an option in CP? Often I'm more interested to read the last post.

It depends on what you're looking for. Perhaps the post shown in the tooltip could show the first post based on your thread display options? If you use linear with oldest first, it would show the first post, and linear with newest first would show the most recent. I don't use hybrid or threaded, so I can't suggest how that would work. ;)

Tomorrow I'll fix the bad words filter. In the meantime, did you realize that the tooltip will still popup when the mouse is hovering to the right of thread titles instead of directly on them? This way you're not covering up any text with the popup.

I noticed that. I guess I'm just not used to it. I usually browse with my mouse over the links rather than to the right of them... not big deal i suppose. thanks

Is it possible for the popup to show the last post in the thread instead of the first post ? Or make it an option in CP? Often I'm more interested to read the last post.

This isn't possible from a coding perspective. It would require very large mysql table scans on the page. For each thread on the page, the entire post table would need to be scanned to find the last post in the thread. What we have now is a built-in vBulletin feature where the thread table stores the postid of the first post in the thread, so no table scans are necessary.

I will add to my list of things to do to at least investigate the possibility of using AJAX such that the last post of a particular thread is fetched and displayed when a link is clicked on or hovered over, without a page refresh.

Nevermind. I don't know what I'm saying. There's a button to go to the last post of a thread so obviously we already have the lastpostid in the thread table as well. I'll look into it ... we'll see.

Thanks, but if it will slow things down it probably won't be worth it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.