If it does get stuck, hit refresh and it sorts itself out, that's what i do to fix it if it occurs.

I just leave it for ages and it works

Yeah but some people have better things to do, so hit F5 to refresh and it posts your comment.

it gets stuck immediately before loading the advertisements... so i guess it gets stuck working on that...

I haven't been experiencing any slowdowns lately, and I haven't for quite some time...

Actually, it may have something to do with my adblocker.

[edit] The first post was done through an adblocker, whereas this one was not. Both took approximately 1 and a half seconds to post from the quick reply box. However, it takes significantly longer to load the page when there's ads... about 4 seconds to load it without ads, but when ads are enabled, everything freezes up until the ads are loaded, and that takes usually about 20 seconds. I'm on a 1.5 mbps connection.

yeah using ABP makes loading faster, but posting remains the same - thats what ive noticed too

When it gets stuck, I usually don't have a refresh to hit. And if I am posting and there is a refresh, it erases my post.

Hit refresh again, and your post gets posted.
Works for me :)

I guess it depends on your browser and ISP.

Caught in the act!

After this delay happened, the ad space to the right of the Quick Reply window showed a message instead of the ad:

"The server is not responding."

Im seeing the delays right now....... I click SUBMIT and it takes a long time to submit the data!

very slow to post replies and edits today all morning (0900am - 1300 GMT)

Hopefully this has solved the problems...

The thread Davey linked to is in Area 51 but the gist of it is that I had made some backend adjustments over the weekend and there should be a noticable speed improvement when posting.

So far, so good. If I have any issues I'll let you know.

I still get it sometimes, maybe is it becuase as you guys wake up and go onto it, us brits are still on it so making the servers laggy, maybe?

I usually have most of my trouble from 0400 to 0800 uct (12:00 am to 4:00 am edt).

It hasn't happened yet today.

But now I have a new problem.

The scroll down buttons at the end of the browser scroll bar won't go into auto-repeat when you hold down the mouse button while the top banner ad bar is moving. I have to grab the scroll handle to scroll down quickly.

It's happening quite a bit now, but not every time.

We've just upgraded our servers and tweaked MySQL, and this problem should no longer be occurring. Please post in here if you're still experiencing this.

I think you got it.

Nope. It's not fixed.

I just got a delayed post. It took two minutes to post this message in the thread "Recent Changes":

It seems to be working now. I was getting a different editor I hadn't seen before at times. It had dropdown menus for text color, smileys, and attachments. And the editor selector was missing

And while I was trying to post the above portion of this post you are reading now, I needed to go back to the menu to find out the name of the thread, so I tried to use the clipboard to hold the text I had already written (I knew it would disappear when I went back). But....

The no-scroll error appeared when I tried to drag to select my entire text in the quick reply window. I had to go advanced to put all of it in the clipboard.

I have now tracked the no-scroll error to the ads.

The delayed post error still occurs occasionally. Usually it is late at night. Often it is accompanied with a message that the ad server is not responding.

A message that the *ad server* is not responding?? There's no message that would say this because there is no server labeled 'ad server'.

I wasn't quoting the message itself.

I mean a message similar to, "No response from -------."

In this case, ------- is the name of the server containing the ad.

I need to know specifically which servers it is in order to do something about it. We work with a couple of ad servers.

I'll have to wait until it happens again.

Could it be that they are receiving too many requests at once?? I had that trouble with other sites when they used doubleclick.net.

That's very rarely the case. The bottleneck is almost always the network and not the servers when dealing with ad servers. Because they know how important it is to be quick loading, they won't let their servers become overloaded, so the bottleneck is usually something that is not as much in their direct control or something easily fixable like throwing another computer into the cluster. Also, ad servers often use distributed bandwidth services like Akamai. (I believe DoubleClick uses Akamai.)

Ive been away for a number of weeks on vacation (hi again!) but i read in the digest that daniweb now has faster servers?

i must say i havent noticed any slowness.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.