Using the Opera browser I am finding that the thumb shots are staying open after passing over links. The only way I can get rid of it is to refresh the page.
Anyone else experiencing this in Opera?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

I hate to be so blunt ... however, I've found that Opera consistantly does not follow XHTML/CSS standards and a very small percentage of the DaniWeb audience uses that browser. Additionally, I am not a fan of Opera at all, having used it a few years back, and therefore don't have it installed on my own machine to test. Therefore, I will be very blunt in saying that there are no plans to make DaniWeb Opera-compatible right now as it would be impossible to do without a working Opera installation myself.

commented: "I haven't installed it on my machine", God I love this excuse! :) +11

And Opera is now free, and updated. May be worth another try.

And Opera is now free, and updated. May be worth another try.

And in my opinion, the most compliant web browser around :D.

I sent the hijackthis log page for validation and it seems that there are a few errors on the page.
I know nothing at all about this stuff, so I don't know if those, or one of those errors are causing my problems.
EDIT. This thread came back with even more errors.

Using deprecated elements in XHTML will cause unpredictable borwser behavior.

I always check my pages with W3C before deploying them.

So MidiMagic, you are saying that those errors are causing the problem and not Opera?

I've found that Opera consistantly does not follow XHTML/CSS standards

In what way? I have always thought that Opera was the most compliant of the 'mainstream' browsers, an opinion that has been backed up by everyone in the web development community I have spoken to - until now :)

If there are standards compliance problems with Opera I'd love to know about them as it would be a good thing to write about in the blogs...

In what way? I have always thought that Opera was the most compliant of the 'mainstream' browsers, an opinion that has been backed up by everyone in the web development community I have spoken to - until now :)

If there are standards compliance problems with Opera I'd love to know about them as it would be a good thing to write about in the blogs...

I'm with you. Found most of the problems with Opera to be due to bad code being served up to it :).

The properties that are invalid are *all* related to the display of the banner advertisements which, unfortunately, just don't render the same in IE and FireFox without specifying the additional parameters, as IE and Firefox appear to have different default behaviour when it comes to the rendering of IFrames. I probably could replace them with CSS and will most likely do that later today. Thanks for the catch.

My bad experience with Opera comes from quite a few years ago. I forget the specifics, but I believe there were alignment issues and a few other small glitches that annoyed me enough to made me stop using that browser. I haven't seen Opera in use in years, however.

According to traffic statistics, Opera users spend an average of 34% more time on DaniWeb than the average user. This leads me to believe that there is nothing untoward going on with Opera's rendering of DaniWeb to the point of making the site unusable.

When either bad code or code that is undefined (in the Doctype declared) is served to a browser, an error condition occurs. Different browsers handle these errors in idfferent ways.

Oddly enough, the more compliant the browser is, the more messed-up the page looks when an error occurs.

Using the Opera browser I am finding that the thumb shots are staying open after passing over links

Try the solution provided in the screenshot attached.

Though your General Browsing expereince will become a bit slow but will most probably solve your problem. Good Luck!

I also like Opera but all the editor boxes don't run for all the three following forums
1) http://www.daniweb.com
2) http://www.codeproject.com
3) http://forums.microsoft.com

I'm Using Opera 9.21 but still this problem stays. For Daniweb and Codeproject the editing options won't come and for MSDN Forum the editor box itself won't show up.

Otherwise Opera is really better than Firefox and IE

Cheers for the tip :). I would rather Dani fix this on the other end though :D.

Hey i have a wierd IE bug where it will give an error and any tabs loading will nstantly 404. This only happens on daniweb and it does it on 4 different machines all using IE7/XP SP2. Its only began happening recently

i have been having that problem for quite some time now. The problem occurs when you try click on the Add to "xx" Reputation before the page loads up. I thought it was a problem with my IE7.

No it does it for me when loading the thread

it does it on 4 xp machines with IE7 but not on vista. This happens 60% of the time so is really annoying

Could anybody please tell if we can Edit or Post messages in MSDN forum using opera browser.

thats a bit unrelated to this thread but yeah i think you should be able to.

Oh ok.. In my case its when im about to give a rep before the page loads. That error message pops up and when i click on ok button it redirects to page cannot be displayed. I know its annoying but i got used to it i guess.

When i click it every tab gets 404 not found instantly :(

The properties that are invalid are *all* related to the display of the banner advertisements which, unfortunately, just don't render the same in IE and FireFox without specifying the additional parameters, as IE and Firefox appear to have different default behaviour when it comes to the rendering of IFrames. I probably could replace them with CSS and will most likely do that later today. Thanks for the catch.

unfortunately, I have discovered that many advertising gimmicks provided by third-party sources are not XHTML compatible.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.