Seen elseweb, I thought it made for a good idea.

A little practice "sandbox" to which one can send new users.

FWIW.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

It looks like a forum filled with complete jibberish. (IMO almost embarassing for Opera) I'm confused by the point of it. Why entice new members to get accustomed to our system by submitting complete jibberish when they're already learning how to use DaniWeb by formulating interesting threads in the Community Introductions forum which simultaneously helps build the community?

Jibberish? It looks like a forum to me.

Nope. It's just pretending to be a forum. It really isn't one. :)

If we had a test area here,we should disable post counts ON THAT BASE (So ppl dont just post crap to increase thier count)

Many sites im on have such an area and almost all of them have post counts disabled...

But what's the point of it? Right now we have new members learning about our system and introducing themselves to our community all at the same time. What would be the point of giving them a place to post complete junk?

I dont really know the point behind it...

We could set the base to delete anything posted there every day automatically...... (If ppl really want a test area)

But what's the point of it? Right now we have new members learning about our system and introducing themselves to our community all at the same time. What would be the point of giving them a place to post complete junk?

And there are plenty of repeaters not using code tags.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/search213556.html

Plenty of threads get mucked up with "use code tags", "use code tags". Increased noise to signal ratio.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=198166

New members don't use code tags because they just want a quick answer to their one-off homework question and so they post without taking the time to read our rules. You're kidding yourself if you think that they ARE going to take the time to do a couple of practice posts in a test forum before asking their question.

If the main reasoning behind a "test" forum is that it's going to increase the usage of code tags and/or improve the overall quality of posts, I think that idea is dead wrong.

The 'Preview Post' button in the advanced editor should be sufficient for double-checking one's post. And you're dreaming if you think that the same people who neglect the usage of code tags will even bother posting in a test forum. Clearly, the real problem lies with the fact that they're in too much of a hurry to read rules, read-mes, watermarks, and all the other helpful reminders that have been placed liberally around this site. I don't think that adding another 'helpful reminder' to this site will increase the likelihood that people will actually pay attention to what they're writing.

I found it useful for a test post in a new forum. I just wanted to pass that on FWIW.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.