What are they?
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=reputation&pp=50

How many "about to become" or "in training" or whatever "almost something" categories are there? The "almost something" categories to me mean less than nothing -- unless they are intended to prompt a member to post more.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Are you referring to the things like 'Posting Whiz in Training' and 'Practically a Posting Shark'?

These titles have nothing at all to do with reputation and they don't fly over anything, either. They are simply a member's user title which is set exclusively based on how many posts they have. If you're a sponsor or "special" member, you can set your own user title in your user options, as you've set yours to be Lounge Lizard.

If you have fewer than a couple thousand posts, every so often you may encounter the user title 'Practically a ...' or 'Nearly a ...'. The idea is that it's encouraging to post more to get to see what your next usertitle will be. But if you don't want to wait for the next title to come, halfway there you'll get a "hint" about what it will be. It's meant to be encouraging. Think going to the gym ... "Just 10 more! That's it! Almost there! 8 more! You're almost at your goal!"

Okay, default titles -- again my way with words. Gotcha.

The 'Practically a ...' or 'Nearly a ...' only works if there is a ... -- when there isn't an everybody's "almost something" it is only annoying. But if that ain't the case, swell.

Well it would be stupid if you were always nearly something and never actually that something.

When you have fewer than a thousand posts, your user title changes every 100 posts. As a "sneak preview" for what's coming next, you become nearly that next thing after 50 posts. After that, your user title changes every thousand posts, and you get your sneak preview after 700 posts (roughly the last quarter of the stretch). After a couple thousand posts, you no longer get any sneak previews, and have to wait the full 1000 posts to see what comes next.

I want to be nearly The Quee..... King of Daniweb.:zzz:

I want to be nearly The Quee..... King of Daniweb.:zzz:

That's a lofty goal for an unknown quantity :icon_wink:

That's a lofty goal for an unknown quantity :icon_wink:

"unknown quantity" means that it hasn't been measured yet, hehe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.