This is a feature lacking here at the moment, so I am interested in comments and feed back for the higher ups.

Elseweb this may be my main source of feedback. Here the same feature presently doesn't exist.

Since our input is a minority report, please keep your comments relevant to this discussion.

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

As the forum administrator, I often pay attention to how many users are currently online and how many users are currently browsing each category. I also like to see which names I recognize as being online a lot to pick out who the regulars are. But I never actually go to the Who's Online page. I just use the information provided at the bottom of the forum pages of currently active users.

I use it to see who's posting to threads I started or posted to or who's making new threads.

To see that information, I hit up the Today's Posts link throughout the day. Especially using Today's Posts in my Subscribed Forums.

Checking my trusty statistics, not very many people at all use Who's Online. We're talking about an order of magnitude in the hundreds, granted they are only available to registered members.

However, as someone who is a frequent forum goer and never uses who's online on any of the forums I visit, I'm curious to know what it is about that page that works better for you than the list of recent posts in your subscribed forums, for example. I would think the latter makes it easier to see exactly what you're looking for instead of trying to wade through a list?

Also, you commented that it's a feature that's lacking ... but what, specifically, is it lacking? What, specifically, are features that it should have that it doesn't?

I'm curious to know what it is about that page that works better for you than the list of recent posts in your subscribed forums, for example.

I like the real time aspect of who's online. The list of recent posts in my subscribed forums doesn't show me who's replying or creating a thread right now, it only shows me who's already posted.

I would think the latter makes it easier to see exactly what you're looking for instead of trying to wade through a list?

If I only follow the people in like tech talk or coffee house, the list is smaller and it's easy to look for 'replying' or 'creating thread'. :)

commented: Danke. +11

I dont check it very often..........

I use the todays post thing mainly. Its good . I occasionally use whose online if i want to pm and ask someone to look at a log for example

I'm still confused by the first post of this thread (poke Dave poke) saying that the Who's Online feature is lacking. In what way??

Checking my trusty statistics, not very many people at all use Who's Online. We're talking about an order of magnitude in the hundreds, granted they are only available to registered members.

Oh, I have no doubt that the number of users of this can generally be counted with a hand or two.

However, as someone who is a frequent forum goer and never uses who's online on any of the forums I visit, I'm curious to know what it is about that page that works better for you than the list of recent posts in your subscribed forums, for example. I would think the latter makes it easier to see exactly what you're looking for instead of trying to wade through a list?

I didn't make it very clear, true. But I thought Hamrick covered for me quite well. (But also, it was option #2 in the poll.)

I use it to see who's posting to threads I started or posted to or who's making new threads.

I like the real time aspect of who's online. The list of recent posts in my subscribed forums doesn't show me who's replying or creating a thread right now, it only shows me who's already posted.

If I only follow the people in like tech talk or coffee house, the list is smaller and it's easy to look for 'replying' or 'creating thread'. :)

I'm still confused by the first post of this thread (poke Dave poke) saying that the Who's Online feature is lacking. In what way??

Patience. :)

Also, you commented that it's a feature that's lacking ... but what, specifically, is it lacking? What, specifically, are features that it should have that it doesn't?

I guess it's somewhat of a continuation of my post the other day.

I use a number of tools available. When I first log in, I use the Control Panel and first Ctrl+Click subscribed threads and private messages (if any), then subscribed forums.

After I've gone through that pile, including the new posts to subscribed forums, when I have finished any new posts and am relatively "caught up", I generally use Who's Online to see who may be viewing these threads. I also use Who's Online to see who else may be watching particular threads. When I see the little icon indicating "my threads" (where available in forums) by folks, it perks my interest.

I also like to revisit ancient threads that a Guest may be viewing. For me it's nice feedback that indeed someone has interest in my posts, perhaps.

Then I refresh the Control Panel, but in less frequent intervals than the Who's Online updates.

Watching for creating new threads by someone who just posted in a particular forum, and having an Advanced Search feature that let's me search for a particular user's posts in a specific forum sometimes gives me an opportunity to preview what his/her next question might be -- often there are "continuation" type issues. Or else it's just a quick check to see if they're a frequent code tag non-user or whatever.

Perhaps it's a "getting the drop on folks" kind of habit I picked up in my early Cprog days where it was like speed-posting the best answer.

I use a number of tools available. When I first log in, I use the Control Panel and first Ctrl+Click subscribed threads and private messages (if any), then subscribed forums.

After I've gone through that pile, including the new posts to subscribed forums, when I have finished any new posts and am relatively "caught up", I generally use Who's Online to see who may be viewing these threads. I also use Who's Online to see who else may be watching particular threads. When I see the little icon indicating "my threads" (where available in forums) by folks, it perks my interest.

I also like to revisit ancient threads that a Guest may be viewing. For me it's nice feedback that indeed someone has interest in my posts, perhaps.

Then I refresh the Control Panel, but in less frequent intervals than the Who's Online updates.

Watching for creating new threads by someone who just posted in a particular forum, and having an Advanced Search feature that let's me search for a particular user's posts in a specific forum sometimes gives me an opportunity to preview what his/her next question might be -- often there are "continuation" type issues. Or else it's just a quick check to see if they're a frequent code tag non-user or whatever.

That's really sophistimicated compared to how I use it. :D I guess I need a few thousand more posts to figure out all of the cool features of the forum.

Perhaps it's a "getting the drop on folks" kind of habit I picked up in my early Cprog days where it was like speed-posting the best answer.

Speed-posting the best answer... It must be nice to be _that_intimate with a subject.

I voted No. I swing through the forum, reply to stuff, check it when I'm done to see if someone was replying while I was doing other stuff, then leave for a while.

I'm still not understanding the point of this thread. In your first post, Dave, you stated something about the who's online feature lacking, but when I asked what that meant you said 'patience'. So what's the point of this thread other to say you think is a fault somewhere but you won't tell me what it is?

I see a difference. But that may just be me.

And by 'patience' I was referring the my usual 16 hours offline.

Question: what is the bloody difference if a guest arrived at a thread you are subscribed to from a search engine or if a search engine spider is crawling a thread you are subscribed to?

If you want to see if anybody has posted to threads you're subscribed to, you can see that listing here: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

But DaniWeb gets millions upon millions upon millions of visitors every month with the average thread receiving from a couple hundred to a couple thousand visitors. So how exactly does it improve your experience on DaniWeb or your interaction with the DaniWeb community by seeing that some anonymous visitor or search engine spider is currently viewing a thread that has already received hundreds of views and is destined to receive hundreds more?

To me, the main focus is seeing if and when people reply to posts in threads you're interested in ... not necessarily just viewing them. You see, posting in a thread expresses interest in the thread. Simply viewing a thread signifies nothing - they could have randomly arrived at the thread from a search engine, they could be using the 'view previous / next threads in forum' links, and they could be one of those people who clicks on 100 different threads an hour, with no interest in more than a small handful of them.

Question: what is the bloody difference if a guest arrived at a thread you are subscribed to from a search engine or if a search engine spider is crawling a thread you are subscribed to?

Experience. A guest may have ambled on something -- which is cool. Spiders tend to be triggered by fresh responses, so if one of them is triggered, chances are good that it is back in play.

If you want to see if anybody has posted to threads you're subscribed to, you can see that listing here: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

Not necessarily posted; viewing.

But DaniWeb gets millions upon millions upon millions of visitors every month with the average thread receiving from a couple hundred to a couple thousand visitors. So how exactly does it improve your experience on DaniWeb or your interaction with the DaniWeb community by seeing that some anonymous visitor or search engine spider is currently viewing a thread that has already received hundreds of views and is destined to receive hundreds more?

You seem intrigued by people visiting your site. I seem intrigued by people visiting my replies. It can't be that big of a stretch.

To me, the main focus is seeing if and when people reply to posts in threads you're interested in ... not necessarily just viewing them. You see, posting in a thread expresses interest in the thread. Simply viewing a thread signifies nothing - they could have randomly arrived at the thread from a search engine, they could be using the 'view previous / next threads in forum' links, and they could be one of those people who clicks on 100 different threads an hour, with no interest in more than a small handful of them.

I am a user, you are an admin. We see things differently.

I guess if you filter the who's online list to only show members, that's a moot point.

To me, the main focus is seeing if and when people reply to posts in threads you're interested in ... not necessarily just viewing them.

I think Dave's point is that that's reactive. Watching what everyone is doing and how it relates to you can be more proactive.

Experience. A guest may have ambled on something -- which is cool. Spiders tend to be triggered by fresh responses, so if one of them is triggered, chances are good that it is back in play.

The "speed posting" thing again. Something that is lost on 99.99% of the population, I'd presume.

[post=431184]Is this still a shot-down idea[/post]? (Just checking and following up.)

You seem to mistakingly believe that the little icons on cprogramming illustrate threads that you've posted in. They don't.

Well, I've got a heckuva lotta subscribed threads here that I wish I could see marked similarly.

Or ... here's something that might suit you:

Do an advanced forum search to find all threads that you've posted in, and sort them by the number of views they've received. This way you can see which threads you've posted in that are the most popular.

Because I'm looking for "the present" rather than "the past". Sometimes I use one or the other. For catchup I use "the past"; for idling I prefer "the present", when available. YMMV.

So you don't want to see a listing of the top viewed threads you've posted in but instead want to scroll through a constantly in flux listing of 150 pages of threads, that every so often might have a checkbox next to a thread you're subscribed to?? I don't see the point.

I don't see the point.

This has become increasingly apparent. I'll take it the short answer to this request is still no and leave it go again.

On that note, I've been trying to reach you on the IRCs.

7-11pm, or so, CST

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.