Smiles list in the advanced edit window often does not work -- it does nothing. Sometimes when it does work the list is generated below the edit window (see thum) and I have to scroll down to see them all . I've noticed this behavior in only the last few days. Using IE7 on Vista Home with the diaplsy zoom size set to 100%, if that means anything.

Recommended Answers

All 43 Replies

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

I have also experienced it after the change of Rounded Corners in DaniWeb.

I complained about it before, but it seems that it hasn't been fixed yet. (OK -- so it was the color palette. Actually, I experienced the problem with the smilies, too.)

It was fixed. Then it wasn't again. I'm still investigating exactly what is causing the issue. It appears that before the problem only affected FireFox but was fine in IE. Now the problem is only affecting IE and is fine in FireFox, from what I can tell.

I noticed it on FF 2.0.0.6 when the servers were changed.

But it's a JavaScript problem? It can't possibly have been caused by moving servers.

That's just about the time I noticed it. It might not have anything to do with the servers.

Or maybe the wrong file got copied.

It's working right now.

But I couldn't even reach the site on Sunday.

It was fixed. Then it wasn't again. I'm still investigating exactly what is causing the issue. It appears that before the problem only affected FireFox but was fine in IE. Now the problem is only affecting IE and is fine in FireFox, from what I can tell.

Did you ever get around to fixing this problem? I still can't see the list of smilies most of the time. When I do see it it is located almost at the bottom of the window.

The smilies are completely broken on IE6

Im using IE6 and the smilies work fine....

I just click that drop down menu and i enter what i want

:) :( :'( ;) :D :@ :$ :S :scared:

See they all work :)

I use IE7 and sometimes they work and other times they don't. I like the list of smilies to appear above the edit box. When I do see the list it is located just to the right of the text Post Icons just below the bottom of the edit box. I have to scroll the window up to see them, which is inconvenient.

The next version of vBulletin will use a new JavaScript UI toolkit and so I am waiting on that to fix the problem. It will supposedly be out rather soon.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Now I jumped to Firefox 2.0...everything is running smooth.

The next version of vBulletin will use a new JavaScript UI toolkit and so I am waiting on that to fix the problem. It will supposedly be out rather soon.

The latest version i have seen is 3.6.8 :)

Is this the version your speaking of?

OMG Dani you fixed the smilies :) Thank you.

OMG Dani you fixed the smilies :) Thank you.

[thread]95037[/thread]

Except that they are just the names of the smilies. You can't see which one it makes until you put the post.

I'm using IE7 on Vista and they work ok.

Except that they are just the names of the smilies. You can't see which one it makes until you put the post.

It depends which editor you're using. You have JavaScript features disabled, don't you? If that's the case, you don't get to see the JS-enhanced wysiwyg editor.

I only see the names, not the pictures.

I am using a clean install of XP home with office + the newest things from MS update. Thats it.

Javascript IS enabled

As I've said, it's because you are disabling clientside scripting enhancements in your member profile. A fancy wysiwyg editor is a scripting enhancement. :)

O i see, its saved in the profile

i had tured it off so it would work on my pda but i thuaght i would affact that as i thaugth it was a cookie duh :)

We have a lot of users who visit DaniWeb from work as well as from home, or from their desktop computers and laptops, etc.Therefore, all of the settings are saved in the database instead of via a cookie, down to which threads you've visited. For example, which forums you have marked as read and which threads are new since your last visit is consistant across multiple computers.

sorry if what i said made no sense :)

Nope, you made sense :)

commented: Hey it's almost your birthday. Five more years till yer 30 scary :P +13

So how do I see the smilies without being bombarded by bumbling screen tips?

Bumbling? I'm not sure what you're talking about. :) Tooltips haven't followed the mouse in months and months.

I had them turned off, so I didn't notice.

It appears smilies are broke again. Just now clicked the Advance tab then smilies but couldn't get a list. And doesn't work here either.

They appear, but the pop-up is about 300 pixels to low on the screen.

See attachment

Niek

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.