Get IE7

Get IE7

Why?
If you read the first post in this thread you'll see that Ancient Dragon is using IE7 and has exactly the same problem as me. Midimagic has FF2.0 and has the problem and The Dude has IE6 and the smilies DO work for him.

So: Get a Ferrari, Fish and Chips, a Christmas tree and a SpaceShuttle ;)

Niek

I have IE7 and it works for me, but it doesnt work on my laptop (IE5) so i assumed that it was an IE bug

I used to have that happen to me, but it seems to have gone back to how it should be now.

I had mentioned in a different thread that, unfortunately, the solution to the Smilies popup problem seemed to break more things than it fixed. It was brought to my attention yesterday that various popup menus throughout the site no longer worked. Therefore, I've reverted the Smilie fix as it was too buggy.

However, we plan on upgrading to the newest version of the vBulletin forum system in about a week's time. The goal is for this upgrade to fix the Smilie popup problem. Even if it doesn't, I would rather not spend a lot of time trying to work on code that is going to be replaced next week either way. I'll reattempt this problem next week after the upgrade.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

When are the old-style smilies gonna become obsolete? I say they should be, otherwise I might question why there was any point of having the new smilies commissioned.

agreed

I'm not quite sure what you mean. You mean the Original Smilies versus the Sleek Smilies?

Yes, get rid of the old (original smilies).

I got rid of the old smilies a very long time ago. However, I received numerous complaints from people who liked them better and still wanted the option to use them. Therefore, I put them back. However, they're "secondary" smilies in that if you just type :) or such in your text, it automatically parses itself to :)

So the secondary smilies exist only in the bottom half of the dropdown menu for those people who yelled at me when I took them away.

I don't think the original smilies are consistent with the style of the rest of the site. You should get rid of them.

People who don't like it, need to get used to change. Seeing as 'smilies' do not serve any purpose (from a pragmatic P.O.V) you can do this without fear of any reprisals, since none of the complaints would be taken seriously or have any substance.

There's a couple of the old smilies that don't exist in the new crop of cmilies, such as embarrased and the big green grinning face. So my vote is to leave them as they are now.

And yes, Ms Dani, no point in fixing the smilies when the whole board is going to get upgraded in a week or so.

When are the old-style smilies gonna become obsolete? I say they should be, otherwise I might question why there was any point of having the new smilies commissioned.

agreed

Disagree.

I don't think the original smilies are consistent with the style of the rest of the site. You should get rid of them.

People who don't like it, need to get used to change. Seeing as 'smilies' do not serve any purpose (from a pragmatic P.O.V) you can do this without fear of any reprisals, since none of the complaints would be taken seriously or have any substance.

We're programmers. we're already used to change. We just dislike the new smilies for various reasons.

There's a couple of the old smilies that don't exist in the new crop of cmilies, such as embarrased and the big green grinning face. So my vote is to leave them as they are now.

You forgot WINK and ROLLEYES. The current WINK is bad and cannot be distinguished from TONGUE. Using it gives the wrong message.

Dani could implement a couple that I made. They're on the other site, but not here.

Get rid of the new ones. I can't tell one expression from another on those. The old ones are standard webwide, and make sense.

Smilies are supposed to be M&M shaped, not spherical.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.