I've noticed several times a couple of odd occurrences on the forums recently.

1) Sometimes I simply cannot mark a forum as read. I'll read all of the forums, explicitly mark the forum as read, and mark all forums as read, yet the forum will still show as having unread posts. I'll have to leave it and try again later.

2) Sometimes I see posts out of order. This tends to happen when two posts are close to each other in post time but not so close that I could excuse it as simultaneous. For example, I'll ask a question and the question is answered 20 seconds later, but the answer is shown first on my view. I've even seen my post marked as, say 5 minutes ago and the previous post marked as 6 minutes ago. The time is correct, but the view order is mucked up.

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

I've seen the former a time or two, but the top-level "mark all forums read" has always worked for me.
Forums with sub-forums (like the lounge) seem to be more susceptible to this.

I have had the second one happen to me before to.

The second problem I've seen occasionally too. Never attempted to mark forums as read so never experienced the first problem.

Hi,

I just got back from a two-day conference and will look into this a bit later today. First on my agenda is to catch up on Monday night's episode of Prison Break.

When you see posts out of order, is it right after you just posted with Quick Reply? If you refresh the page, does it stay out of order?

>When you see posts out of order, is it right after you just posted with Quick Reply?
I don't use quick reply.

>If you refresh the page, does it stay out of order?
If I leave the page and come back it stays out of order. I haven't tried refreshing, but I imagine the result would be the same. This is a nice example if you can see it. The OP created the thread, but my reply to him is the first post.

Hmm ... the database has both the OP and the reply posted at the exact same second. I've never seen this behaviour myself before. How often does it happen? I will have to investigate some more ... after my dentist appointment.

>Hmm ... the database has both the OP and the reply posted at the exact same second.
I've been told that I'm quick on the draw, but I never realized I was that fast. Maybe I need to start using my crystal ball avatar again. ;)

>How often does it happen?
Fairly regularly if I'm policing the forums. It seems to happen when two posts are made in quick succession, like the same minute.

Sometimes I see posts out of order. This tends to happen when two posts are close to each other in post time but not so close that I could excuse it as simultaneous. For example, I'll ask a question and the question is answered 20 seconds later, but the answer is shown first on my view. I've even seen my post marked as, say 5 minutes ago and the previous post marked as 6 minutes ago. The time is correct, but the view order is mucked up.

Ive experienced that. Seems to be if you post very close in time to eachother (<1min) then sometimes the older post goes first (i know that as in one thread i was on the reply came before the question.....)

Can you guys recall whether this problem just started happening within the past month or if it's been happening for a very long time? About a month ago we changed from MyISAM MySQL tables to InnoDB.

>Can you guys recall whether this problem just started happening
>within the past month or if it's been happening for a very long time?
It seems to be a new thing. I'm sure I would have noticed it before.

Does it only seem to affect posts made semi-recently or are you finding that posts made a couple of months ago are also suddenly out of order?

Its new. (Since when the slowness posting stopped) and it only affects NEW posts

I have noticed it happening more frequently in the past few weeks.

Who's Online seems to have a 10-minute lag of sorts. It seems to show my current location, but the time seems 10 minutes in the past. And I just ran the NIST time correction.

Who's online data is always cached with vBulletin.

Does it only seem to affect posts made semi-recently or are you finding that posts made a couple of months ago are also suddenly out of order?

Its a random thing and does not happen to me very often-- The last time I saw it was when Narue and I posted almost at the same time.

Who's online data is always cached with vBulletin.

Okay, but if it gets the place right, why is the time off? Or is your server time just off that much?

Odd happenings just did it again, here

Dave, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that Who's Online showed what page you were at a little while ago. For example, I may visit my profile and then end up at Who's Online, and the Who's Online page will say I'm currently visiting my Profile.

DaniWeb's server time is off by 10 minutes according to my clock ... I keep forgetting to ask blud about it.

Ancient, the thread you linked me to looks in the correct order?

Dave, ya know what, I think that's what the problem is all along. We now have two load-balanced web servers. If each of them have a different time, it's possible that one poster was using one web server and the other poster was using the other web server, and the times of each were a little off. That would explain why responses were being timestamped before the OP.

Times look squared up now.

The problem was that the two web servers were 2 minutes apart, so sometimes someone on one web server wrote the original post, and then someone on the web server that was 2 minutes behind wrote the other post within 2 minutes after the OP being posted, causing the reply to be timestamped earlier than the OP.

The post out of order problem shouldn't happen anymore, but I'm going to spend the majority of tomorrow doing damage control. I'm going to end up having to write a script which finds all threads where the first post in the thread is timestamped after the second post in the thread ... but unfortunately I have no way of being able to fix the problem with respect to all of the other posts ... without having someone manually point them out to me.

Ancient, the thread you linked me to looks in the correct order?

But according to this I was the last poster, which I'm not.

Gotcha. Yeah, it's all part of the same problem. I'll sort through it all tomorrow.

The problem was that the two web servers were 2 minutes apart

Do you not use NTP?

Ive had a similar issue using NT4 on a domain (one system was 5 mins behind the other so sometimes you would get ERROR: Date cannot be in past)

This is my first post over here.

I liked this forum entry the most though, the way you said it was just amazing!
See you Later ;)

Regards.
Michele

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.