hi guys... i have been away from the irc for a while now (studying and working), and i tried logging in from a computer @ my university, and it kept disconnecting me... i tried using the java-based client from Dani's and it didn't work... i tried using the client i use at home, and it didn't work either...

is it a problem in this computer or does it happen to anyone else?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Can you let us know what the error message you receive is when it disconnects you?

i'll have to try again tomorrow, since i tried on my computer and it worked as always...

It's possible your university has a proxy server / firewall that is blocking IRC because they don't want to waste university bandwidth with students chatting and hanging out in warez channels.

may be... though, if they allow downloads, why would they forbid chatting? hehe

i'll see what i can find out, just to make sure there is no problem with the site...

Figure it out, yet? Only time something like that has happened to me was when blud introduced his new scand bot that blocks proxy servers :(

nope... not yet... tonight i'll try it again...

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

I cant connect to irc.daniweb.com when i click on it Firefox says:
Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (irc) isn't associated with any program.

Iam complete new to IRC Please guide me so i can join and chat up a storm.

Download the ChatZilla extension for Firefox.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Thanks hollystyles..i will try it and just installed Flash plug-ins from Adobe now i am able to connect to rooms directly.

DaniWeb's Java based irc server says:

Trying to connect - www.daniweb.com
Not Connected.
Trying to reconnect in a few seconds...

though it shows me the rooms available @ the irc... i'll check if its any firewall or something...

nope... i disabled all firewalls and still... nothing...

Here's an idea: Get a REAL irc client. I prefer Xchat, but chatzilla, pidgin, and trillian all work well too. :)

the one i use @ home (IceChat) doesn't work either... though, they uninstalled it, so i didn't try with that one, so i couldn't write the error message

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.