I've just started using Folding@Home, and I thought we might create a DaniWeb Folders team.

For those of you who would like to be a part of our fight to cure diseases, by using your unused CPU time, please check out http://folding.stanford.edu

When setting up your client, enter Team # 41335 to be a part of the DaniWeb Folders distributed computing group.

You can find information about our team here:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=41335

codeorder commented: .interesting:) +0

Recommended Answers

All 107 Replies

hey, cool, im in. only where do you setup your client and enter that number? I guess its just when its setting up and asks you for you name eh?

Thanks for joining our group :) I just started today, as well, so the group is brand new ... so we can start together. If you are using the Windows XP graphical version, it will have a little icon in your system tray. Right click on the icon and select Configure. Under the User tab, it will ask for a User name and also for a Team number. Just enter 41335 as the team number :)

yes! i found how to do it, i've got 2000, 8% i believe, but im not sure how it works i will read up on it later.

2000 whats? I don't know either - I just started this afternoon as well!

well to the left there is a completion percentage, im not sure what it does when it is complete, but it says its supposed to be complete when it reaches 25000. I dont know what that number is but im currently at 2250.

Ahh. Perhaps you are talking about the number of frames of the work unit. You need to complete all of the frames, and then the work unit will be submitted back to [email="Folding@Home"]Folding@Home[/email] :)

So am i the second to join the Daniweb team? mwahaha...all the power is rushing to my head.....

bah, dani i dont see my name on our team site :(

That's because you haven't completed any work units yet. Each time you complete a work unit, it is sent back to [email="Folding@Home"]Folding@Home[/email] along with a username and team number. In other words, every work unit has a username and team number associated with it. That data is then displayed on the team site :)

Okay! Count me in! I just started, and with an XP2500+ processor, I have no idea when I'll upload a work unit!

I started this morning on two machines ... a first generation Intel 3 ghz (400 mhz bus) and a dualie mac G5 ... my mac finished a work unit in a little under 12 hours and my Intel is still chugging away. Macs are good number crunchers I guess :)

But in any case, welcome to the team, Alex! :)

what?! you cant use this as a screensaver on ME? that sucks that means i will have to enable it everytime i leave, what a pain. lol, im so lazy, even when it comes to diseases... :cool: and is the goal different everytime you finish a work unit?

I'm not quite sure if the goal is different eachj time you finish a work unit - I believe it is. I just leave it running 24/7 on my machines, in the system tray. So what are you doing still using Windows Me anyways? ;)

lol, well i installed XP but the 256mb ram stick i ordered wasnt compatible, so i didnt have enough ram to run XP efficiently, so I reinstalled ME again until i get more ram. Im totally striking out with this whole ram thing!

I started this morning on two machines ... a first generation Intel 3 ghz (400 mhz bus) and a dualie mac G5 ... my mac finished a work unit in a little under 12 hours and my Intel is still chugging away. Macs are good number crunchers I guess :)

Not necessarilly. If it works like Seti@Home the workload in each unit can differ wildly.
I've had workunits complete in an hour when the next took 12 hours or more on the same machine (without me at the keyboard, I kept it going all day and night).

haha i have had this one work unit going for about 3 days now! and its only at 54%

Since we started, my Windows machine has submitted two work units. And my mac has submitted like 8! :)

Until I find a different machine to do this on, I'll have to put my love affair with Folding@home on hold after three platry work units.

I don't know if it was VMWare or Virtual Server doing it, but I was running into lots of ugly "Not enough quota" errors, and it was wrecking the "real" work that I was doing at the time. I'll have to pick things up a little later. :(

I'm game, but my XP2400+ can probably only cook out a work unit every 2 or 3 days.

I'm game, but my XP2400+ can probably only cook out a work unit every 2 or 3 days.

Actually, my 2500+ with 512MB of RAM kicked out 3 in about 1.5 days...

Until I find a different machine to do this on, I'll have to put my love affair with Folding@home on hold after three platry work units.

I don't know if it was VMWare or Virtual Server doing it, but I was running into lots of ugly "Not enough quota" errors, and it was wrecking the "real" work that I was doing at the time. I'll have to pick things up a little later. :(

Try setting the CPU usage level down. That should help.

Damn! I'm already part of another Folding@home team, so I guess I'll have to be traitorous to DaniWeb :(

I've just started using Folding@Home, and I thought we might create a DaniWeb Folders team.

For those of you who would like to be a part of our fight to cure diseases, by using your unused CPU time, please check out http://folding.stanford.edu

When setting up your client, enter Team # 41335 to be a part of the DaniWeb Folders distributed computing group.

You can find information about our team here:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=41335

Consider me a member of the DaniWeb Folders team :) I'm determined to knock you off the top-spot Dani! :mrgreen:

Hehe ... good luck against my dual 64-bit G5 power pc :)

Okay, I suddenly have my eyes fixed on getting position 2 instead of position 1 lol. Keep it real...!

Hehehe. Well in that case, good luck!

Hi all,

I have been wondering what to do with my extra cycles since I stoped running seti@home and well here you go it seems like a good cause and well I leave them on anyway.

Cheers

Crash

I don'tunderstand the fold@home points thing I have only gained 241 points though I have done more than one WU. I have looked on the web site and I dont see how you can have such small points for doing so many work units. Can anyone explain how there point system works or how work units are taken into account??? Oh well I have put some cpu's into play on this project and we will see if they are counted in the end.

Crash

I don't get it

loool i download it in the work to try it and it can't connect to the work servers lol i will try it in home ^_^

:cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.