If you haven't heard the rumors (press releases), Google plans to release it's own OS by the end of 2010, according to the news it's going to be aimed at smaller devices (laptops/pdas etc.) and is going to be focussed on web-based functionality including the ability for people to write plugins (it was compared to facebook here) for it so they could customise it.

Just curious as to who thinks they'll be using it instead of their current OS and whether you think it'll be a worthy rival to Windows or mainstream Linux distros?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Let's hope that it'll be a worthy rival to Windows, particularly if it is as secure as planned.

I'll definitely check it out. Maybe just as a virtual installation with VirtualBox or something, but I'm still curious what it's got to offer.

Give Google control of my desktop? I'm too paranoid for that.

commented: Google knows EVERYTHING about you :P +4

True enough. It's already a little creepy just how much personal information they have about so many individuals...

I like to take a piss in privacy, just like how I prefer to surf in privacy; now Google wants a log of all my bowel movements, just like they want a log of all my searches and activities.

lol

There's a lot of OSes for mobile and embedded machines. Some of them Linux spin-offs. Don't think we need another, just because it has Google branding on it.

commented: Hilarious :P +4

And you think MS isn't spying on your OS activities? Get real!

At least they don't put it on Google Earth or the top search page.

At least they don't put it on Google Earth or the top search page.

There is no MS Earth or they would do it.

You seem to think that Windows is the only alternative.

Quite. This is where I'll step in and suggest that you try an excellent, open-source, free GNU/Linux distro.

Just thought I'd post that google chrome OS is going to be based on linux. They also said that the whole thing will be open source, so they'll only be able secretly collect info by making most of the desktop online.
I'm still going to stick to comfortable ubuntu.

Google Chrome OS = Chrome Browser on top of a Linux kernel

My prediction is that Chrome will not have any impact on IT other than maybe for hobbyists. If it just sits on top of *nix then why bother with it?

Yeah i rekon it will be a bit of fun, something to play with. I doubt the functionality will surpass windows/linux distros so i think your probably going to only see the die-hard fans of Google doing this.

Personally im really not that fussed about google knowing what i do, and my personal infomation. I was thinking about this the other day and i thought that its kind of a lot better to have it all stored on one place, that way if something goes wrong you definitely know who is responsible.

So i think i'll probably just try it on a live boot USB on my Mini 9, but i really doubt ill install it. I am interested to see how compatible it is with programs from other *nix systems though.

Google is eventually trying to null our online as well as our off-line privacy. Moreover google chrome OS will not be suitable for heavy works, it will be just good for tablet PCs. Linux will eventually defeat windows, and not the Chrome OS from google.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.