Hey guys, haven't been on here for a while. Just thought, I'd get the ball rolling and interact with the community. Anyways, tell me and everyone else on the internet, the derivation of your username? Why? How? What? When? Who? WTF?

Recommended Answers

All 84 Replies

Mine was almost a random choice when I couldn't come up with anything better. The misspelling is intended to differentiate myself a little bit from the rather pervasive correct spelling from Transformers.

Other candidates included ragecoder, algorhythm, and James2.

I'm a geek.

I'm happy.

Simples :)

For me, not so simple to explain.

First some background: I used to do some Win32 graphics programming. One of the methods used in animating is heavily using a technique called a Bit Block Transfer. Basically, you reserve an area in memory, do some manipulations like setting pixel properties, then move it as a block to your graphics area or screen. Do this repeatedly, and it is like the frames of a movie going by.

The function name is BitBlt (also known as "blitting").

Now, for the explanation: When I give help to someone, the best possible result is that the knowledge in my head ("memory area") is moved quickly to the head of the querent with complete understanding. So, I'm "blitting" my knowledge to someone else. So, Bit Block Transfer, BitBlt. It's a stretch, but there it is.

:)

I used to be ProliantFan, as I had (have still) a number of HP/Compaq Proliant servers, and I came here to get help with them and Fedora Core Linux (Version 1 lol!)

Was listening to Autopsy's Mental Funeral album and needed a new e-mail account, might have been dealing with some art stylized with mosaics around the time too.

Mine was from about 20 years ago when I played Dungeons and Dragons role playing board game. It has nothing to do with my real-life race -- I'm a WASP, not Chinese.

My story is boring - GrimJack was an awesome graphic comic from the 1980s. I have used GrimJack as a username in one version or another since 1988 - the name was so popular at the time that I often had to use variants like GrmJck but I would never use something like <username>## - except once I used GrimJack666.

A randomly assigned password I received, and a nonsense syllable.

stultus => latin word for 'idiot'

commented: I was wondering about that for a long time, now I know :) +0

That is my first and last name concatenated.

So, you are really Debbie Asisdas? :)

A combination of my favorite number and random words that popped on my mind

Member Avatar for diafol

Mine's an anagram of Mississippi.

commented: The palindrome of "Bolton" would ne "Notlob". +0

Really?? How do you get ardav out of mississippi?

commented: +1 for satire +0

"Saviour Of Sanity" for those crying out help ("sos") in these forums. ;-)

Dark glasses, a wig and fake passport...

commented: Chuckles +0
commented: laughed so much I farted all over my living room :) +0

uuencode64 ?

Mine is an acronym for: BenAtNoFixedAbode

Which I use in a number of email addresses; this was chosen when I went on holiday to Vietnam in 1999. I wanted an web email address to keep in touch with my family while I traveled, I tried MobileBen, BenMobile and a number of other short 2 word terms but always got the reply "that's not available would you like to use MobileBen2745264" but I've always felt that having a random series of digits at the end of your email address just makes it hard to remember. Having got quite frustrated in a fit of pique I bashed that into the signup form and it was accepted and has stuck. I now use Banfa because it is shorter to type or if it is not long enough BenANFA.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Iamthwee... Just seemed appropriate.

commented: But what about your avatar and signature?? :) +0

Agreed :)

when I went on holiday to Vietnam in 1999.

How times change :) When I went on holiday there for a year in 1967 it was a war zone.

Mine is probably too simple...but here it goes anyway: I work a full-time job, do free lance Web design and/or PHP coding, work whichever novel I currently haven't finished yet and band practices throughout the week...BUT the weekends is when we get to play most of our shows. So for at least 1 or 2 days of the week I can have the mindset of a rockstar =0)

I guess I'll chime in. I always end my emails with "Veni, Vidi, Didici"-(LAMBDA)(ALPHA)(BETA) since my initials are LAB but using λαβ just looks so much cooler. I came up with my slogan last year in latin class while reading De Bella Gallica (On the gallic wars) by Julius Caesar. It is derived from his "Veni, Vidi, Vici" which means "I came, I saw, I conquered" I modified it to "I came, I saw, I learnt". When I was typing in my username to create this account I suppose I missed the 'm' key. Thus labdabeta.

? De Bella Galica: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentarii_de_Bello_Gallico#Book_I

My name is Danny. In the nineties I tried to make an account on Yahoo to play chess. I tried to use Danny which was obviously too common and already in use. So I changed it to danbe(be abreviation of my country Belgium) Then Yahoo told me it had to be 6 letters.:twisted: So I added a d in front ==> ddanbe

ddanbe caught a mistake of mine, it is de bello gallico. My bad.

eh...silly skill kill killy

-edit- an expresion of how i feel when i give away all the knowledge i paid so many thousands of money for...why am i here?

I needed a new handle as my previous one was literally a bunch of letters, and trying to dictate it to people was a pain, and one day I was reading through some code at work and one of the guys I work with has a thing about adding comments with "nup" everywhere (he mistyped nop once and stuck with nup since), and I just ended up switching to 0x90 one day when reading the comments as it is the x86 opcode for a nop... or in his case a nup.

I picked mine from what general references i have heard over the years RTFM (Read The Flippin Manual) and the ID10T because i can tell the people i work with it was and ID10T error and they just say oh and don't realize unless they actually write it out what i was saying. Plus ProblembetweentheKeyboardandchair was way too long.

I was basically really hungry for most of my early twenties. My housemates noted this and started calling me Ravenous. It seemed like a cool user name so I use it wherever I can. It's actually kind of common, so I also use Ravenacious (which I don't think is a real word) if someone else already has Ravenous :-)

Pterothea in Welsh Myth is a winged deity... i want to have wings hehehehe :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.