Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hi

I watch a few movies the past weekend, just to relaxed and not think about work. I saw a few movies.

I saw:

The Raid Redemption - The best action movie this year! It's a Indonesian action film. The director is Welsh but he speaks Indonesian and English and Welsh. Not quite sure how he manage to speak in 3 langauges but he do. The English subtitle fits right with the storyline in Indonesian. My friend(speak & understand Indonesian) told me that it fits the storyline so I don't speak Indonesian but the English subtitle really help me understand the story. It's a excellent movie!

2 Coelhos - It's also an action movie but a different storyline than The Raid Redemption. It's a Brazilian action film and it's in Portuguese. The movie is great it remind me of a little Memento and Pulp Fiction. In the end, it was very sad but it also give you a better understanding of the story or film. The song that been playing throughout the movie is called Kings And Queens by 30 Seconds to Mars. Not a fan of them but that song fits well with the film.

The Road - post-apocalyptic drama movie. It's base on a book by Cormac McCarthy. The movie is very slow but overall is a good movie. It's about a father and son struggle to survive post-apocalyptic setting. It's sad story but a good one if you understand un-conditional love and sacrifice.

The Man from Earth - science fiction movie. It's base on a book by Jerome Bixby The movie remind me of a "Death of Salesman" setting. It's good movie overall, a lot of debating topics. The movie is recommended by another DaniWeb members- Reverend Jim.

Bonded by Blood - It's a action drama movie, it's not a good movie. It's a British movie. Too much cursing, the storyline is not good. All I know it's based on a true story in UK.

adam_k commented: The Man from Earth really worths it. +0

Recommended Answers

All 1,028 Replies

the expendables 2

Hunger Games -- a chick flick, pretty slow at first but action picks up about half way through. If I ignore the first half of the movie I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars, but overall it only gets 2 stars.

I watched "A Fistful of Dynamite" yesterday... man, I never get tired of this movie, a timeless classic, like most of Sergio Leone's work.

commented: Jame Coburn was my hero - thank you for the reminder +0

Few hours ago, I watched "despicable me".

Two movies I saw in the theater, and thought they were worth seeing again. So I bought the DVDs:

"Crazy Stupid Love" with Steve Carell and Lulianne Moore.

"Friends With Benefits" with Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake.

"It Might Get Loud"
"The Little Mermaid"
"Star Wars (A New Hope)"
"Spirited Away"

I have a daughter and a son. Guess which movie I watched with which kid? :-)

@Haifaa

the expendables 2

I want to see that movie. But I'll wait til the movie to come out on DVD most likely in December 2012 or January 2013.

@Ancient Dragon

Hunger Games -- a chick flick, pretty slow at first but action picks up about half way through. If I ignore the first half of the movie I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars, but overall it only gets 2 stars.

I didn't see that movie yet but I heard of it. 2 stars? 2 out 4 star. You are tough critic.

@mike_2000_17

I watched "A Fistful of Dynamite" yesterday... man, I never get tired of this movie, a timeless classic, like most of Sergio Leone's work.

You must love western movies. It's bit too classic for me. I wasn't even born yet when that love came out.

@np complete

despicable me

I saw that movie it was funny.

@vegaseat

"Crazy Stupid Love" with Steve Carell and Lulianne Moore.

"Friends With Benefits" with Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake.

You must love Romantic Comedy. I heard of it but I haven't see those 2 movies yet.

@BitBlt

"It Might Get Loud"
"The Little Mermaid"
"Star Wars (A New Hope)"
"Spirited Away"

-

I have a daughter and a son. Guess which movie I watched with which kid? :-)

Gosh, you have a daughter and a son!

This is hard.

If you watch one movie with your daughter and your son together. Base on the movies that you saw with your kids. I might have to say:

"Star Wars (A New Hope)"

"It Might Get Loud"

That's a documentary!

"The Little Mermaid"
"Spirited Away"

Both animation a family movie?

You must love western movies. It's bit too classic for me. I wasn't even born yet when that love came out.

Neither was I, and my parents still had pimples. I wasn't born yet when that one came out, nor when "Scarface" came out, nor when "The Godfather: Part II" came out, nor when "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" came out, nor when "A Clockwork Orange" came out, nor when the whole Star Wars trilogy came out. Yet, those are some of the best movies ever made, and not having seen them would be a gapping hole in your popular culture (you can't even understand the references in cartoons like the simpsons or family guy, or just when people talk to you, if you don't know your classics). Doesn't matter when you were born.

And I'm not at all a particular fan of westerns, only the Sergio Leone ones ("A Fistful of Dynamite", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", and "Once Upon a Time in the West"), cause these are in a class of their own. And I like his slow, quiet, and incredibly intense movies, punctuated with delicious dialogues, like this one:

Frank: Morton once told me I could never be like him. Now I understand why. Wouldn't have bothered him, knowing you were around somewhere, alive.
Harmonica: So, you found out you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race. Other Mortons will be along, and they'll kill it off.
Frank: The future don't matter to us. Nothing matters now - not the land, not the money, not the woman. I came here to see you. 'Cause I know that now, you'll tell me what you're after.
Harmonica: ...Only at the point of dyin'.

@mike_2000_17

Yet, those are some of the best movies ever made, and not having seen them would be a gapping hole in your popular culture (you can't even understand the references in cartoons like the simpsons or family guy, or just when people talk to you, if you don't know your classics). Doesn't matter when you were born.

Yeah you're right. You made a good point. The best movies are in the 60's & 70's!

"Scarface"
"The Godfather: Part II"
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

Yes, I saw those movies and it does consisted as classic!

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

I read that book and saw the movie and it is a great movie!

Member Avatar for iamthwee

@vegaseat, I saw those two movies...

I also watched something called 'no strings attached' with aston kutcher and natalie portman, it was pretty awful but natalie portman is a hottie so that made it bearable.

Last movie I saw on the big screen was 'The Dark Knight.'

I didn't particularly enjoy that one. I've been meaning to watch more of Stanley Kubrick's movies but haven't got a chance. There are some classics I need to watch on the 'alltime' list.

And I know this is pretty lame but the little mermaid was an absolute classic. I loved that disney movie and I'm not afraid to admit it. Haha.

@iamthwee

Last movie I saw on the big screen was 'The Dark Knight.'

I saw that movie, it was good.

I've been meaning to watch more of Stanley Kubrick's movies but haven't got a chance.

I think he passed away a few years back.

I don't know if you saw the Shining & Full Metal Jacket?

I love the movie Full Metal Jacket, it's a great movie.

And I know this is pretty lame but the little mermaid was an absolute classic. I loved that disney movie and I'm not afraid to admit it. Haha.

It's not lame, I watch those with my niece, she's only 3 years old, so those disney movie help her start to talk more and laugh. But I still don't understand what she's saying.

You have to see Dr. Strangelove. Peter Sellers goes to town playing three roles to perfection. And, of course, My favourite Kubrick film - A Clockwork Orange. It helps if you have read the original book. The film was based on the American release of the novel which omits the last chapter.

Hello guys, Last time I watched "3 Idiots".
It is an Indian movie which teaches a lot of life's lesson.
It's really good and I recommend it. Try reading the synopsis..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187043/synopsis

At first, yo may not want to see it, or it may not catch your attention
but it will become more and more interesting as you watch.
I love the catch phrase "Aal izz well" which means "All is well",
and the lesson "follow excellence...success will chase you(pants down) ".. haha..
If you wanna know what I'm talking about, I dare you to see for yourself.
GodBless everyone!!!!! :):):):):)

commented: I must start watching indian movies now that i think of it great idea! +0

@Reverend Jim

I never hear of Dr. Strangelove nor Peter Seller? A Clockwork Orange I never heard of or saw the movie. I never read the book either. I just google and check Stanley Kubrick's movie and that movie is old. These movies consisted classic like what mike_2000_17 mention a few post ago.

Thanks for the mentioning the The Man from Earth! Yes, you were correct that there is a lot debating in the movie. I had to laugh when John said he was you know what ...
He also met Buddha, but in the end it was sad.

A Clockwork Orange is basically about morality and free will. Alex (the anti-hero) is a vicious thug, who, through a controversial treatment, has been forced to act properly. The question is can he be considered a moral person or is he simply a clockwork automaton because his ability to choose between good and evil has been removed? The original book was in three sections of seven chapters. In the original printing (which included chapter 21) the story is also about redemption. Kubrick based his movie on the American version which lacked this chapter. I suppose he wanted to focus on the first theme only. It takes place in the near future and does not suffer from having been made years ago.

@Reverend Jim: Although your description is accurate, I find that that "message" is somewhat secondary to the movie, and certainly not what makes it the iconic movie that it is. The movie is really iconic for its very unique psychadelic style. And, it breaks so many of the stereotypes by portraying "ultra-violence" with both sharp and burlesque humour, a thuggish little punk with culture and sophistication, a pure psychopath as a loveable hero and "faithful narrator", all authority figures as completely corrupt baffoons, and so on. The movie is full of revolutionary propositions that make you question a lot of things in a very organic way, which is something a lot of movies sorely lack these days where most blockbusters roll out just peddling the same stereotypes and emotional conundrums (with, at best, very lame and obvious attempts at questioning any pre-conceived ideas). I haven't read the book (not a big reader in general), so I don't know what, if any, of these kinds of things came from the book, but that is certainly the more unique and memorable aspects of the movie, and Kubrick's genius in rendering this to the screen. In any case, "c'est un incontournable", as we say in French (for lack of a proper translation).

Kubrick, indeed, brought his own unique style and interpretation to the movie but that style and visual flair did not come from the book and had nothing to do with the central theme which is indicated in the title. We are fortunate that Kubrick imposed his visual ideas on the film for it was that visual flair that keeps the film from looking dated even after more than 40 years.

A little bit of trivia - you may recall the scene after Alex's treatment where Alex is on stage, first with a bully, then with a platinum-haired beauty. The actress was, many years back, one of my cousin's piano students in Toronto.

@green_ning

No, I haven't seem it. I'm not a comedy movie person. I don't watch much comedy. It's good you enjoy the movie.

@Reverend Jim

I really don't read much beside read php scripts now. You must love philosophy because most of the things you mention (post) relates to it. I haven't read any books since High School. In College, I didn't read any literature either. I forgot to mention I had to re - download the movie "The Man From Earth" because it was in French I wanted it in English. In the end, I did saw that in English last weekend.

I just saw 2 movies this past weekend:

Snow White and the Huntsman & The Hunger Games.

Snow White and the Huntsman it's OK, I didn't really like the storyline that much.

I will give it 1.5 out of 4 stars. The .5 star is that Charlize Theron looks good after all these years.

The Hunger Games it's a little better than Snow White and the Huntsman. I can understand why people think it's a good decent movie.

I will give 2.5 out of 4 stars. The .5 star is I didn't recognize Elizabeth Banks at all.

On the flight to Argentina I watched MIB3 and something forgettable. Higher on my list of what to see next is Duck you Sucker, The Nameless One for my western kick then go for El TOPO (the mole) - this is a western that will blow your mind. It is a Spanish with sub-titles and involves a gunslinger traveling the desert taking on other gunslingers like a pair of twin dwarves - one with no legs and one with no arms who are, together, the best gunfighter (there is a scene where the one with no arms braids the other's hair while he is taking care of the harness that they wear so the 2 of them together have arms and legs - yeah "porque demando porque" - why are foreign films so -- foreign?).

Just Saw mega mind and kung fu panda 2

Actually I love animation movies very much ;) Kung fu panda 1 was better than 2. What do you guys say ?

@GrimJack

MIB3

I haven't seen MIB yet will wait til it come out on DVD.

Duck you Sucker,

The Nameless One

El TOPO

I not familiar with Western Movies.

@np complete

mega mind and kung fu panda 2

Haven't seem those yet.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.