Someone just notified me that a new free online space provider has launched, called Copy. If you know Dropbox: it's pretty much similar to that for as far as I can see now, only here you get a starting 15GB for free (instead of 2? at Dropbox). They now have a temporary? launch action: for each person you redirect to Copy that then registers himself, both you and the one registering get 5GB of extra space.

So therefore my idea: if anyone is interested in registering, register, then copy your share-link to this thread, and the next person who is interested uses that link to register and then posts his own share link here. That way everyone will get +10GB extra: one for joining, and one for the referral of the next person.

I'll start. If you're interested, join can join using my referral link.

Have fun! :)

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

I had already heard about this service, though I didn't know that they had already laucnhed the Windows and Mac clients.

I have 50Gb on Dropbox (thanks to my Samsung purchase). Still, there's never "too much" cloud storage space. Here's my referral link.

Aww didn't you use my link? I didn't get a referral bonus! Plan's off! haha (just kidding, except for the first part, that was actually true ^^)

my internet is slow at the moment... still downloading the installer

Ah no problemo of course, just wondering! Didn't know that you were requierd to download their client in order to get the bonus space. I'll add it to my starting post. EDIT: Which I cannot edit anymore, so here it resides.. :)

I don't like the way Dropbox automatically and instantly takes things like pics from my phone. I had to uninstall the app because of that. I'm going to wager a guess that Copy probably does the same.

Well there's probably a way to turn that off. My dropbox app for android doesn't do that.

There's a way to prevent automatic photo uploads by Dropbox, right there in the settings.

No doubt but it was an instant annoyance factor for me. I back everything up on my pc from my phone once per week so Dropbox or similar isn't necessary for me.

I'm having a problem installing on win8. The installer hangs with no cpu activity. It install perfectly on my android. I've seen this before and I'll try again after a reboot.

Personally, I don't use any online storage. I don't trust any external service to securely maintain a copy of my data. I know that I can always use something like TrueCrypt in coonjunction with DropBox but that requires resynching the entire TrueCrypt container even if only one file in that container is modified. When I need to exchange large amounts of data with a remote PC I use either Hamachi and map a drive or TeamViewer filecopy.

I use Microsoft's SkyDrive and they give you 7GB free. Works well with the MS file manager.

Dropbox works for me, and doesn't have the problems some people are having with Skydrive where trying to load a file into their applications that's hosted on Skydrive causes their computers to crash (which is probably due to those applications, not Skydrive).

I don't use any online storage but I would imagine SpiderOak is preferable to DropBox. SpiderOak uses on-the-fly encryption (meaning you don't have to manually encrypt your files) and it is secure in that the SpiderOak staff do not have access to the keys. No one there can decrypt your data even under court order. DropBox has admitted that unless you encrypt your files before uploading they can be accessed by the authorities upon request.

DropBox has admitted that unless you encrypt your files before uploading they can be accessed by the authorities upon request.

I didn't know that but I'm happy that I do now. Time to take over the world!

DropBox has admitted that unless you encrypt your files before uploading they can be accessed by the authorities upon request.

which is not surprising as they're legally required to provide such access...
In fact encrypting the content might leave you liable to criminal charges of obstruction of justice in case there is a court order to access those files and you refuse to supply the means to decrypt them.

I can see that you could be required to provide a password for an encrypted file or folder at Customs when entering the US (although I disagree with the legality) however, at least in Canada, you would not be required to decrypt files either for cloud or locally hosted files unless a search warrant was first produced. Because SpiderOak does not have access to your keys they are required to provide access only to the encrypted files.

I don't use any online storage but I would imagine SpiderOak is preferable to DropBox. SpiderOak uses on-the-fly encryption . . .

Nice. I will have to check that out; I hadn't heard of SpiderOak before.
I presently use Google Drive, ADrive, Box, and My Shoebox (shoeboxapp.com) for photos, but it is always good to know about more options.

Regarding privacy, I don't worry too much about it. I don't save documents with deep dark secrets anyhow. I mainly just treat it as a back-up in addition to a USB, in case my computer crashes or my home burns down.

Anything more personal or private I would encrypt anyhow (addresses, phone numbers, business contacts, website log-ins, etc).

at least in Canada, you would not be required to decrypt files either for cloud or locally hosted files unless a search warrant was first produced.

AFAIK the same is true in the US. E.g. for telephone records, to get the duration and sender/recipient data the government needs no search warrant, to get a wiretap installed and listen in on a conversation they (for now, the Holder injustice department is trying to change that) do need one.

@Reverend Jim
I also appreciate the way you make use of alternate way for online storage...But as you have mentioned not all sites are untrusted...I use online storage through <snip> where the data is secured and it is user friendly...

Tucktail is flagged by Trend Micro as Trend Micro has confirmed that this website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.

now why doesn't that surprise me...
Of course you can just wait for the conspiracy theorists to come out of the woodworks to accuse Trend Micro of wanting to destroy Tucktail...

Activity When Space Earned
Referred by Stephan G. 1 minute ago 5 GB

Thanks, Stephan G.

My Referral Link

I wonder what <snip> is?

Seems to me the best thing is to hide your encrypted private data within an image file that looks rather normal to the outside world.

I wonder what <snip> is?

That's what is left behind when a moderator has removed something from a message such as a link to a website that has been flagged or spam links.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.