What is your current motto? What phrase would you use as motto in this current period ?

Mine would be “think, but don't overdo it. Act”

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

The other day I came across
"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in somebody else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way."
Not your usual 'Be all you can be' quote but I still like it.

commented: brilliant +0

Mine is under my avatar. Noli mentula, which (not literally) translated into English is "don't be a dick".

Always code as if the person who will maintain your code is a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Don't screw up. That's my motto atm with 4 tests coming up today and it is 2 am atm... tests for my classes start at 6:54 am... i should really get some sleep...

See under my avatar.
Why don't we all make love and forget about war!
It dates from the 60ties or something, but it is still VERY actual.
O, and "making love" has not always the meaning of what rabbits do all the time...

Haha, I meant my signature of course.

commented: In a few years my motto will likely be "senior moment" ;-P +0
Member Avatar for Warrens80

A hero needs not to speak for himself
, for when he is gone the world will speak for him

Die Hard or Go home

Today, mine is: "Either way you look at it, blowing a tranny is a bad thing."

But, steadily through the ages it's been : "Illegitimi non carborundum" Latin for (loosly translated: "Don't let the b astards wear you down."

Without first reading the last two replies and just having read some threads about the best, the most powerful etc. This latin proverb or motto came spontaneously into my mind: "De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est." which could be translated as: You cannot argue about tastes and colors.

Member Avatar for diafol

My outlook on life is very positive - 'when the worst thing that you can imagine in life has actually happened, then what else can be so bad? Without sounding twee - just go out and do it, Dog knows if you'll be here tomorrow.'
Ever heard Tim McGraw's song, Live like you Were Dying (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9TShlMkQnc)? Well, can't really afford to do that, but I do what I can.

So, maybe a cliche, but carpe diem

I too like to do as much carpe diem as I can.
BTW diafol, if you're the Hand of God, slap yourself in the face from time to time and start doing something about the situation in this world. It is getting slightly out of hand...

Member Avatar for diafol

He he. Yes but I also like the Satanist's "do what thou wilt". I take that to mean sort it out for yourself. Do not be bound or limited by others. Unfortunately that can have some pretty horrid connotations. As for slapping myself in the face, I often slap my forehead and say "doh!". I'm not the sharpest tool in the box. :)

I was just reffering to manus dei :)

Actually, you've got the 'do what thou will' thing wrong Alan. It's from the Wiccan Rede (pagan) and the full motto is: an it harm none, do what ye will.

I have it tattooed at the base of my neck/top of my chest.

The 'an it harm none' part refers to self as well as others, so no horrid connotations apply.

Member Avatar for diafol

Ok HG. I read it in a book about Crowley and Golden Dawn. So seems "the wickedest man in the world" bent that as well. He he, nice to learn something new every day.

Crowley was many things, but he wasn't a satanist despite what many media outlets and godsquadders would have you believe.

Member Avatar for diafol

No, I realise that. I was using the term "satanist" in the broader sense, not specifically to Crowley, who as you point out was not one. I mentioned Crowley as it was a tract predominently on on him (and he quotes the "motto") and "magick" but it went on to discuss atheistic satanism (not the "devil-worship") and politics and the devastating effect monotheistic religions have had on the world. Had I delved further, perhaps I would have attributed the "motto" correctly and placed it in its correct context.

Having said that, misplaced negative connotations aside, I like "do what thou wilt" - even moreso now that I see it has an even more benign origin. :)

Try and try until you succeed

Member Avatar for Warrens80

I like my signature
Every man can fall it's the hero that gets back up

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.