Hi
Here in South Africa rugby is a huge sport and the world cup is next month. I have also seen that in our group we play against the USA. And I was just hoping someone from America could tell me how you as a nation feel about the sport or world cup.

The only reason I'm asking this is because I know baseball, basket ball, hockey and American football are huge in the US. And I barely here people from America talking about.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

We Americans are completely ignorant of the event you've described. It doesn't register on anyone's radar at all.

Edit: The word 'anyone' could be replaced by 'my' to achieve a more factual interpretation of things.

It's the Rugby World Cup and the USA are taking part. It's being held in France. Google it :)

I've heard about it but have never seen it played. It appears to be a simple form of American Football, minus all the body protection. Ouch!

The U.S. has a rugby team?

I've heard about it but have never seen it played. It appears to be a simple form of American Football, minus all the body protection. Ouch!

haha. hilarious! i would say that american football is the simplified form. i also believa that ours is tougher! we cant tackle the other guy without the ball but then again we do not use body armour.

@ josch

yes they have.

america is an interesting country. rugby does not make as much money as soccer or your american sports so you guys are probably not that interested in it.

in new zealand it is a national sports and in south africa and australia it is as good as a national sport.

but if america really wants to it can probably create a competent team in less than a decade.

Hi
Here in South Africa rugby is a huge sport and the world cup is next month. I have also seen that in our group we play against the USA. And I was just hoping someone from America could tell me how you as a nation feel about the sport or world cup.

The only reason I'm asking this is because I know baseball, basket ball, hockey and American football are huge in the US. And I barely here people from America talking about.

A new league has been started in america recently and the attendence has been fair. So in the future you might hear more discussion about football from americans. As for the recent past you don't hear alot of americans talk about it because there was no league to promote the game year round. The only thing there was talk about was the world cup and thats only once every four years.

The only Rugby references generally found in the US is "Rugby players have leather balls", 'reporter scrum" (but this one goes over most heads), and something about Rugby players use their hands or something.

Rugby is quite popular in the UK, I'd say probably less popular than Football (Soccer as america calls it) but its still quite big.

I have seen your American Football, and I prefer Rugby :)

Rugby could become a sport, if they ever show it on the tele in the US.

yeah rugby is 2nd most popular sport here in scotland. never heard of rugby world cup though , i only ever watch the six nations.

Rugby could become a sport, if they ever show it on the tele in the US.

Its in the top-3 sports in France, NZ, Australia, South Afirca, and the UK.

Rugby is definitely a simpler game than American football. It has fewer rules and fewer plays (in terms of coaching) and fewer formations. How could such a game not be simpler?

Yeah american football is wayyyyy too stop-start for me to watch. And its so complex!

It does not help that they have to stop the game so many times to run commercials to support the cost of broadcast rights that the NFL charges.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.