I've been surfing forums off and on for a few days, trying to find my way through the maze. There is so much here!

I feel guilty surfing without introducing myself, so here goes. I enjoy golfing when weather permits (we live in Northern Illinois), reading mysteries, volunteering in the community, collecting recipes, and obviously, computing. We have a cat which is allowed outdoors only with one of us in attendance to save him from himself and coyotes (he was declawed before coming to live with us).

My main reason for joining was the frequent challenges I get from the desktop PC I have at home. However, I've been distracted by the word games and have found myself spending time on them -- I'm unable to resist word games.

Although I'm no stranger to computers, the technologies change too fast for me to keep up. I have an HP Pavilion Media Center with Windows XP. Most recently, I've been having trouble managing digital photos that I take off my Nikon and my husband's Olympus. All the photos are overwhelming -- many duplications. I'm wondering what is the easiest way to narrow them down. Are there any ideas out there?

I'm looking forward to learning about all your computer challenges, solutions, and interests.:icon_smile:

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Welcome!

Welcome to Daniweb! What do you mean narrow them down? You could just delete replicas.

Jasimp, Thanks for the welcome.

Is there an easy way to delete replicas? The only way I know of is going to each photo, one by one, and delete it. In addition, it may be in more than one software location after being edited. It's confusing.

What you could do is create a folder and put all of your images in it. Sort it by name and that should place duplicates next to each other. Then delete them one by one (or in groups) that way.

Call me lazy but with the number of photos I have, all their locations, and for the most part not named yet -- only ID's are numbers -- I was hoping there'd be some "computer magic" I could use!

Zandiago, I appreciate the welcome to DANIWEB.

This is the first time I've participated in a site like this, so hopefully I won't be too dumb in the newbie process. From some of the postings I've read, I have alot to learn about computers. It seems the longer I work with them (a long time), the more I recognize how much they do what they want, when they want.

Your welcome..there is much to learn...hope you'll enjoy it here.

Call me lazy but with the number of photos I have, all their locations, and for the most part not named yet -- only ID's are numbers -- I was hoping there'd be some "computer magic" I could use!

If there is I do not know what it would be. That is the only way I can thin of doing it.

Hey ! System mechanic has this feature (i checked it sometime ago) to remove duplicate files. It checks the file size and also the dates to mark a file as duplicate.

Welcome to Daniweb btw.

I'll put System Mechanic on the side burner for now until I can be sure there'd be no conflicts or other problems with my system. I just invested in tuning it up and thought I wouldn't add anything for awhile. I do appreciate your suggestion however and will investigate the software further.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.