People who keep saying hypothetically

People who keep saying hypothetically

I can see how that would be annoying, if they just kept repeating "hypothetically hypothetically hypothetically ..." over and over and over. I think it would annoy most anyone.

What on earth (or in your mind) provoked this thought?

Well, you know that Macs are used by creative people. Maybe scru thinks you are creative. I wouldn't try to destroy the possible illusion.

Most of mine are what people do in traffic:

- Bicycle riders breaking the law, endangering themselves and others in the process. (Bicycles are the same as motor vehicles in most states.)

- Drivers who are in too much of a hurry to be safe or obey the law.

- Drivers who don't use their turn signals.

- Drivers who don't leave enough space when changing lanes.

- Pedestrians who don't realize that pedestrians don't always have the right of way.

- People jogging, skating, or skateboarding in traffic (all are illegal here).

Others:

- Microsoft changing the software every three years.

- Government officials greedy for more taxes, when they are already getting 72 percent.

- Fake science in globbal warming.

Microsoft changing the software every three years.

Ugh.
Don't remind me...

Well, you know that Macs are used by creative people. Maybe scru thinks you are creative. I wouldn't try to destroy the possible illusion.

Illusion, while not my first preference, is fine with me, thanks.

I hate it when people in some forums seem to know everything and think they're always right.

> - Fake science in globbal warming.
Completely ignoring legitimate climate change science.

I hate it when people in some forums seem to know everything and think they're always right.

It's the rare bird who does not act on the assumption that they are right and state their opinion in that manner. It's how they act in general while doing so, and in particular, how they act upon being confronted with evidence that they are wrong that ultimately defines the experience of dealing with them.

I actually love to find out I am wrong. It means I learned something at that moment. I know, that like most people, I operate under the illusion that what I believe to be true is in fact true. Finding that I was wrong has advanced me much more than believing I was right. There's no advancement in that.

But I will always talk with assumed authority on what I believe I know. And some people take that as offensive.

I find that for the most part, they are the ones who do not want to "go the distance" and support their position. I am always ready to support mine, down to the point where my supposition or my logic falls apart.

I find that most people flee from a "real" discussion .. where you have to get down to the core truths underlying your position.

Logic and reason do not prevail in most discussion. Generally people just have a belief that is very strong, and they want others to yield to it, not to explore it.

Dude come on, you sure ur not a Mac guy?

Who is this "Ur" you speak of? A caveman?

Dude come on, you sure ur not a Mac guy?

Yeh, I'm sure. You should be able to see it in how I write, the clues are everywhere, but we'd have to go private for me to explain that statement.

Are you one?

No no...I'm not :cool: enough :P

Are you going to take Josh's place as grammar police? Fine. Just be aware that I don't like that dude, and will probably take it out on you.

Are you going to take Josh's place as grammar police? Fine. Just be aware that I don't like that dude, and will probably take it out on you.

I believe Josh is the Posting Relevance Police, which may leave an opening in Grammar police, but really I don't have the time to fulfill it to the necessary extent.

I do really hate "text speak" or "leet speak" though.

No no...I'm not :cool: enough :P

Is there any content to your Mac notion? I'm going to treat it as some sort of joke I just don't get. Have a laugh if you like, whether I get it or not, no matter. On the other hand, if you have something to say, please do.

Point in fact. I like Macs just fine for the people that need to use them. I've been building for, and supporting the business PC crowd for 30 years. Well, okay, the early years were a mish-mash of CP/M. I'm a hands on guy who likes to know how things work, and isn't impressed with smooth scrolling, proprietary architechtures or artificiallly high prices. But don't get me started.

> - Fake science in globbal warming.
Completely ignoring legitimate climate change science.

I agree that there is some real science going on. Most of it implicates the sun getting brighter (Venus, Mars, and Titan are showing global warming too).

On the other hand, I have caught a lot of scientists and polluticians doing bad science:

- One hack said that melting the icecap over the Arctic Ocean would raise sea level by three feet. He totally ignored the laws of floating bodies.

- The studies of air trapped in ice ignore the fact that ice is NOT a hermetic seal for CO2. It has a CO2 removal mechanism - the same one that makes caves.

- They say that global warming is a cause of glacier melting. Then they turn around and say that, because glaciers are melting, global warming must be occurring. Using that same faulty logic, I could prove that you were driving drunk solely because you were in an accident.

- The studies of temperatures over the last 200 years ignore the fact that the instruments available at the beginning of the period did not have enough accuracy to be able to report the change the study reports.

- Those same studies ignored the redefinition of the Fahrenheit scale in 1901 to be an exact conversion to and from the Celsius scale, and the fact that most US Weather Bureau (later National Weather Service) temperatures come from airports, which are increasingly being paved for safety.

- The predictions of warming based on CO2 in the atmosphere are based on computer models. The same kind of models predict the weather wrong every day.

- Too many people are basing their demands for action on the dire predictions of what "might" happen if global warming in fact occurs, instead of on whether or not global warming has been shown to be occurring.

- Science does not use the words "might", "could", "can", "possibly", and other terms of unsureness in scientific conclusions.

Technically, it would have been an inaccurate quote. 'Ur' was the name of a city.

- Too many people are basing their demands for action on the dire predictions of what "might" happen if global warming in fact occurs, instead of on whether or not global warming has been shown to be occurring.

And on the assumption that human activity has played any significant role in the warming, and that changes in human activity can play a significant role in reducing said warming.

Who here can remember when a decade or so ago the big fear was the coming Ice Age?

It would interesting to see how this period will be reported in history books a hundred years from now. What will be the economic impact of trying to cure the warming as opposed to adapting to the changing conditions?

People who hijack threads with their overly passionate beliefs.

And on the assumption that human activity has played any significant role in the warming, and that changes in human activity can play a significant role in reducing said warming.

Who here can remember when a decade or so ago the big fear was the coming Ice Age?

It would interesting to see how this period will be reported in history books a hundred years from now. What will be the economic impact of trying to cure the warming as opposed to adapting to the changing conditions?

It will be more interesting to see if man is even around a hundred years from now to read history books. In my lifetime we have nearly tripled world population. It took millions of years to achieve a 2 billion, only another 50 years to hit 6 billion.

Does anyone really believe we can sustain this for another 100 years?

Humanity has become a lumbering beast, tied to his technology, unable to respond to his environment. If anything "does us in" it will be our inability to respond to the whims of nature with a "technology fix."

People who hijack threads with their overly passionate beliefs.

Being annoyed by that is akin to being annoyed by the weather.

...and you make sure you read the rules of this site before posting here. L33t speak along with threatening members with malicious intent is against the board rules and to quote you "Just be aware that I don't like that dude".

Keep It Clean

We strive to be a community geared towards the professional. We strongly encourage all posts to be in full-sentence English. Please do not use "leet" speak or "chatroom" speak.

What will happen: Offensive material will be snipped out of offending post or censored by bad words filter.
First offense: Member will be warned via user infraction system. Warning will be documented.
Second offense: 5 point infraction will remain on user's record for 3 months.

Keep It Pleasant

Do not troll by posting anything with malicious intent against another member (including, but not limited to, racist, sexist or religiously prejudiced remarks).

What will happen: Very derogatory posts will be deleted. Flame war threads will be locked.
First offense: Member will be warned via user infraction system. Warning will be documented.
Second offense: 5 point infraction will remain on user's record for 6 months.

And to be back on topic, I am annoyed by cocky kids who think they know better than everyone else, unable to realize that the way they look at things, when they are 17, won't be the same when they are mature enough to handle their family responsibilities.

I hate learner drivers :P
After just passing my test a few weeks ago, i can now pass my aggression that others passed onto me, onto the newer generation of drivers :)
Why do they do 20mph in a 30mph zone?

I hate drivers with cell phones permanently attached to their ears.

oh man that's annoying!
Totally with ya on that one vmanes!
In the UK you can now get up to a 2 Year jail sentence for using you phone (holding it to your ear with a hand) while driving. You have to have a hands-free device fitted to keep within the law.

oh man that's annoying!
In the UK you can now get up to a 2 Year jail sentence for using you phone (holding it to your ear with a hand) while driving. You have to have a hands-free device fitted to keep within the law.

My favorite is when you see people reading while driving.

Or fiddling with maps.

oh man that's annoying!

And there is evidence that even hands free cell phones are still as much a distraction. It's not the dialing, it's the conversation that takes your head out of the car. Texting while driving is a whole 'nuther matter!

Here's some summary of studies.

What kind of idiot texts when driving??? I can't even climb the stairs properly when I'm texting!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.