Linux for me. But the video card on my notebook isnt powerful enough to do that thing where it rains on your desktop. It's so slow you have to log out to put your desktop back to normal. I like the opening and exiting animations on the windows you can apply.:P

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

>>where it rains on your desktop
Huh! You aren't supposed to set your notebook out in the rain :) I had to get a new video card about a year ago for similar reason -- the game I wanted to play didn't work very well because it was too slow. So bought a new one for about $250 USD (or so) and it works great now.

I used Linux for a while, but I'm back to Windows.

I use Windows on my desktop though.

IMO *nix sucks because it is soooo complex. I know a lot of people will disagree and that's ok too because we each have our own preferences. Some will even say MAC is the way to go.

IMO *nix sucks because it is soooo complex. I know a lot of people will disagree and that's ok too because we each have our own preferences. Some will even say MAC is the way to go.

The complexity of a *nix system is increasingly becoming up to the user. Ubuntu and friends are becoming much more usable for the average user (see: people who don't want to configure text files to setup their system). On the other hand, the available software for *nix platforms and the compatibility (or lack thereof) with their Windows counterparts continue to make them inviable for many.

I use windows because of its simplicity. I also find linux lil boring. :)

While configuring my Ubuntu I ran into a problem with it not recognizing my graphics card and I had to do some crap with the x.conf.

Afterwards plain old Ubuntu became boring and I upgraded to Ubuntu 64 for fun. I had to do that x.conf crap again, but also I could never for the life of me quite get it to play flash on my system.

So off I went to Ubuntuforums where I sggested that they made those sort of things easier...I wasn't even rude or anything (is that hard to believe or what? By the way, this thread was started in the testimonials section...). To my blatant surprise I was called a number of things, including "lazy" and "unwilling to learn". I was told to go back to Windows with my "Windows mentality" because Linux wasn't for me.

So that was exactly what I did. Although I still keep Ubuntu on my system and peep in from time to time.

What am I trying to say here? I prefer Windows because I can get things done, and have a little fun without having to battle with my OS and configure text files(except with PHP, but that's actually straighforward). At least when I go on the support forums I don't get attitude and get called dumb just because I run into a problem (God Forbid!).

I use Arch Linux. I just find *nix a lot easier than windows in regards to programming, servers, etc. For example, when I want a new lib it's as easy as pacman -Sy <lib> . I can be *almost* 100% sure that the library is now installed and fully functional, while on windows, I don't have that certainty.

Though some have complained that *nix is hard, it's not, as long as you're willing to learn and like a challenge. Granted, sometimes you just want things to "work" and don't really care about the knowledge you would not accrue if it was easier.

So off I went to Ubuntuforums where I sggested that they made those sort of things easier...I wasn't even rude or anything (is that hard to believe or what? By the way, this thread was started in the testimonials section...). To my blatant surprise I was called a number of things, including "lazy" and "unwilling to learn". I was told to go back to Windows with my "Windows mentality" because Linux wasn't for me.

So that was exactly what I did. Although I still keep Ubuntu on my system and peep in from time to time.

Don't judge Linux solely on your experience with Ubuntu and its respective community. The Gentoo and Arch Linux forums are populated by extremely knowledgeable members who try to avoid posting "RTFM" as much as possible.

I personally run dual boot Win Xp and Fedora 8

For those who want a version of linux that is VERY user friendly, try Freespire

I know Linspire/Freespire is bagged by Linux traditionalists, but it will be the type of Linux distro that could bring it to the masses

Don't judge Linux solely on your experience with Ubuntu and its respective community.

Why not? At that time when I did my research, I was under impression that Ubuntu was the most user friendly distro out there. After all, my judgement was based on user-friendlyness in the most technical sense. :)

Seriously, try to forgive my impatient attitude. There are so many distros/resources out there that there is always the chance I will pick one that doesn't suit me. Of course when I do that I expect to be told where to go (as you did), not have my intelligence demeaned.

Both. I use Mandrake, FreeBSD, and Windows XP as my three primary systems. I also occasionally find myself working with HP-UX, various other versions of Windows, SUSE, Solaris, and MacOS.

I use a system built on BSD. More commonly know as OS X Leopard.

UNIX is simple. It just needs a genius to understand its simplicity. -- Dennis Ritchie

I am obviously not a genius, so it's Windows all the way for me!

Why not? At that time when I did my research, I was under impression that Ubuntu was the most user friendly distro out there.

Though people claim it is user friendly, ubuntu isn't technically sound nor the least bit consistent. It makes things more complicated (and therefore more prone to breakage) by adding bloated features and user interfaces. I think you'll find distros that adhere to the KISS principle a lot more stable and a lot easier to work with.

I use Mac OS X, Windows XP, and FreeBSD. Occasionally I will use Gentoo, Debian or Slackware.

I prefer MS-DOS over any of the current systems.

What I DON'T need is the multitasking/timesharing. It prevents certain kinds of scientific research.

Windows just becasue more software is compatible with it.

I kind of want to see what Leopard is like. Do any of you like it?

If you read the thread then you'd notice my above post, where I mention it...

Yes, but he asked if you liked it, not if you used it (Althouh, one could conclude that since you use it, then you must like it), so I think he's off the hook.

I have 3 windows systems, and 2 linux systems, each has their use, and each works great for *me*. I would never try to push my tastes onto someone else though, that's what keeps us unique.

Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be very selective about who it decides to make friends with. -- unknown

It's a Mac OS, which I've not used (or not enough so's it would count). I couldn't stand it. And the iTunes-ish file browser first cracked me up, then pissed me off. But really, my opinion values little for OS X.

> I prefer MS-DOS over any of the current systems.
Right....

And you are currently making this post sitting on an MS-DOS system. Great!

> I prefer MS-DOS over any of the current systems.
Right....

And you are currently making this post sitting on an MS-DOS system. Great!

No, I have been forced to use Windows, because the Internet is no longer compatible with DOS computers.

But I have multiple computers. I do my research on the DOS computer, because the timesharing and multitasking prevents it from working on Windows computers.

I would like Windows a lot better if Microsoft didn't keep CHANGING it.

In my opinion, operating systems should never change. Every time a software platform changes, research scientists have to do a whole series of tests to make sure the changes don't change the results of the research. Microsoft has made long term research projects very difficult with its periodic changes.

commented: I understand your feelings... +20

Linux, its for old men who think Vista is better than Windows and Macs are a type of burger.

Na, I prefer Windows :)

wasn't there a lynx version for DOS? I remember being able to browse under DOS 6.2, mostly BBS browsing though (with Volkov commander, or something similar)

but http was possible back then as well

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.