What title says

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Yes but being a geek is a compliment. You did post this in the Geeks' Lounge.

Ah yes. In america, do many people LAN?

I am not sure. I have only ever been invited to one LAN party.

wat are you two talking about?

Google LAN party. Seeing as I mentioned that I am pretty sure that is what we are talking about.

I wouldn't say it's particularly geeky. I have a group of friends from mixed backgrounds (and some are definitely geeks but others not so much) and we LAN a couple times a year.

On the other hand, when you have people who bring their own table, chair, power strip, gigabit switch, monitor, gaming mouse, joystick, and have a special carrying strap for their desktop, it can be a little geeky...

On the other hand, when you have people who bring their own table, chair, power strip, gigabit switch, monitor, gaming mouse, joystick, and have a special carrying strap for their desktop, it can be a little geeky...

:$

I know a lot of people that have LAN parties, but they're not particular geeky... they just like to play video games. :)

Hmmm... depends in that case on how far you take it.

It's considered geeky when you spell it LANning though...

From Websters:

geek
n.
dial. geck, fool
Du gek, madman, fool
orig. echoic of unintelligible cries

1 a performer of grotesque or depraved acts in a carnival, etc., such as biting off the head of a live chicken

2 [Slang] any person considered to be different from others in a negative or bizarre way, as a teenager seen as being socially awkward, tall and gangling, or stupid.

It that sense, no, LAN parties are not geeky!

I think looking up the word geek in an online dictionary is geeky. Lol.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.