McCain is 2 years older than Reagan was when he took office.

(But, yeah, he's old :) )

McCain is 2 years older than Reagan was when he took office.

(But, yeah, he's old :) )

I respect age, my grandpapa is in his eighties and still as sharp as a tack. Then of course that is very rare!

I respect age, my grandpapa is in his eighties and still as sharp as a tack. Then of course that is very rare!

Respecting age is one thing - putting it in charge of a world superpower is another. A good many of persons 70+ shouldn't even be operating a motor vehicle :P

On an unrelated age note, Bob Dole was on The Colbert Report the other night and he's holding up pretty darn well at 84.

Respecting age is one thing - putting it in charge of a world superpower is another. A good many of persons 70+ shouldn't even be operating a motor vehicle :P

Hehe, we are all thankful that old McCain is chauffeured around.

I wonder who'll chauffeur the country...

I wonder who'll chauffeur the country...

Simple, just ask GWB. It will be the same chauffeur.

Simple, just ask GWB. It will be the same chauffeur.

Cheney?

What gives? I thought that old McCain was a Republican? He would be old enough to be one.

1 - Age has nothing to do with political and/or ideological views. It's possible to be a young conservative or an old liberal. At least one old saying I've seen indicates it's not wise, but that's a different story.

I'm not going to get the quote perfectly, but it runs something like this: "Anyone under the age of thirty who isn't a liberal has no heart. Anyone over thirty who isn't a conservative has no brain."

I guess I'm heartless; I haven't yet obtained my third decade of life and I am a proud conservative.

2 - McCain is running as a Republican candidate, but his history in office, especially recently, indicates he's of a more 'liberal' mindset, and 'liberal'ism tends to be associated with the Democrats. And for the record, the quotes are because the stuff that proudly parades around under the name 'liberal' today would seem to be a disgrace to the classical definition of the term...at least as far as I understand the two.

McCain is just too blasted old to be President, if elected the chances are very good that he won't live his 4-year term. He should be in a nursing home with lots of pretty nurses not in the WH.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression you were yourself rather rich in years, AD. Is this not correct?

I bring this up because you just reminded me of something I read once, dating back to the 1984 election cycle. Apparently, one of Reagan's opponents hired a man just a year younger than Reagan to participate in an add about how 'us old folks just aren't quite cut out for that much responsibility' and harping on the fact that Reagan was a good man, but, well, old. Please note: Age is the only area I'm drawing the comparison on here. And please note that I'm not disagreeing with you on the statistics (haven't looked into those), merely mentioning something.

2 - McCain is running as a Republican candidate, but his history in office, especially recently, indicates he's of a more 'liberal' mindset, and 'liberal'ism tends to be associated with the Democrats.

MCain actually has a pretty conservative record, but there have been a few notable deviations for which he's received a lot of criticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_mccain#Political_positions

I heard that President Reagan slept thorough a lot of staff meetings. I guess, if you have a well oiled staff, you can be of any age.

I heard that President Reagan slept thorough a lot of staff meetings. I guess, if you have a well oiled staff, you can be of any age.

It might just turn out that the president that sleeps the most will be the best!

What gives? I thought that old McCain was a Republican?

Perhaps I should try to clarify a little:
http://www.slate.com/id/2064459/

His conservative bona fides are about a decade out of date.

Appears like it will be young Hillary vs. old McCain. One hell of a choice again. Someone is bound to make a nice song out of this.

"Young" Hillary?
http://bp1.blogger.com/_hnqpvFwIwnw/R2RdbVNGyQI/AAAAAAAAANA/2214c7dOsV0/s320/capt.ead497bd299642c7bfb32a642df666e9.clinton_2008_nhjc110.jpg

Hey thanks Dave! I was looking for a nice picture of her and you found it. Well, everything is relative (compare this to Dole or McCain). She does look old and tired in that picture. Must be the makeup person was on vacation. Ene's song writer might have to be careful in the lyrics.

It looks like Ron Paul is out, sort of.

He never really had a chance.. poor guy.. all the other candidates liked to make fun of him :(

I'll still vote for him in the Texas primary, though!

Looks like it'll be McCain v. Obama as I predicted.. :)

My problem with Mike Huckabee is that he is a creationist, and I simply can't stomach that kind of medieval thinking. Otherwise he is sort of a folksy fellow. President no, TV preacher yes.

Huckabee seems to be a very nice kind person, one whom I'd love to have as a neighbor. But President -- no. We had one president during my lifetime that was a devout Christian (Carter) and he didn't make a very good president either.

commented: I do agree +12

So do most people. Nothing wrong with that, 90%+ of what's discussed at staff meetings is best left unsaid :)

It has been said that an inflatable replica of Ronald Reagan would have done a far better job than George Bush one or two.

Huckabee seems to be a very nice kind person, one whom I'd love to have as a neighbor. But President -- no. We had one president during my lifetime that was a devout Christian (Carter) and he didn't make a very good president either.

I was under the impression that Ronald Reagan was as well; weren't there newsliberals continually asking him about his stance on 'Nuclear Armageddon'? I'd hardly say he was a bad president...

Yes, that's my feeling on Huckabee as well. He comes across as a really nice guy. I just don't want someone in office who feels it is government's place to legislate religious values.

I was under the impression that Ronald Reagan was as well; weren't there newsliberals continually asking him about his stance on 'Nuclear Armageddon'? I'd hardly say he was a bad president...

Most, if not all presidents like to be shown going to church and that isn't the problem. It doesn't bother me that a president has personal religious convictions, its just that Carter and Huckabee carry it too far. No one can serve to masters at the same time.

its just that Carter and Huckabee carry it too far.

Which, if I recall correctly, was exactly the point the newsliberals were making about Ronald Reagan during that period. Your point?

What is a newsliberal? Is that one of those characters on Fox News?

Which, if I recall correctly, was exactly the point the newsliberals were making about Ronald Reagan during that period. Your point?

I don't recall that at all -- but might just be my bad memory :)

My point? I didn't bring Reagan into this discussion. IMO he was one of the best presidents we've had in my memory, even better than JFK, who is overrated as a President. Reagan made everyone feel good about themselves and their nation, and when that happens we have a great economy. From what I've seen I think Obama will have a similar affect on us.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.