Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.

The Eiffel Tower has 1792 steps.

In an average lifetime, a person produces 10,000 gallons of saliva.

Before the invention of the thermometer, brewers used to check the temperature by dipping their thumb into the still warm extract, to find whether it was appropriate for adding yeast. Too hot, the yeast would die. This is where we get the phrase " The Rule of the Thumb".

Before the invention of the thermometer, brewers used to check the temperature by dipping their thumb into the still warm extract, to find whether it was appropriate for adding yeast. Too hot, the yeast would die. This is where we get the phrase " The Rule of the Thumb".

There are many different, WRONG derivations of this; yours is one I have never heard before - never the less it is probably wrong. The phrase was first used in print in 1692 in the sentence "What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art." in Sir William Hope's training manual for aspiring swordsmen, The Compleat Fencing-master.

The origin remains unknown, although it is likely that it refers to one of the numerous ways that thumbs have been used to estimate things - judging the alignment or distance of an object by holding the thumb in one's eye-line, the temperature of brews of beer, measurement of an inch from the joint to the nail to the tip, or across the thumb, etc. The phrase joins the whole nine yards as one that probably derives from some form of measurement but which is unlikely ever to be definitively pinned down.

The thumb is so important in human affairs, it is no wonder it plays a big role in rules, and has application to all our different endeavors.

Ob-Elephant:
Having put "A flea in his ear" means many different but similar things in various languages - from making him suspicious to sharply rebuking him.

There is one mile of silk in one silk-worm cocoon

There are as many colours in a rainbow as there are drops of rain.

Over 60% of all hits on the internet are on seggs-sites!

Over 60% of all hits on the internet are on seggs-sites!

Please let a silly person know, what is a "seggs-site"???

Please let a silly person know, what is a "seggs-site"???

You need to say it out loud a few times. I think it's a way to get past the morality filters.

The waters of Earth's oceans contain gold at a concentration of 0.008 mg/m3. This would make the total quantity of gold in the oceans 11 billion tons.

GrimJack is the DW moderator for all facts about every aspect of the human race and other forms of life on Earth and beyond. And if it isn't already, this should be made official.

GrimJack is the DW moderator for all facts about every aspect of the human race and other forms of life on Earth and beyond. And if it isn't already, this should be made official.

Did it really take you that long to figure this out?

A startling medical discovery:
Apples are more efficient at waking you up in the morning than caffeine.

Grapes explode if you heat them in the microwave.

Important, we need someone to verify this!

If your little finger were cut off, you would lose about 60% of the strength of your grip.

<<I know you are listening>>

A hummingbird weighs less than a penny.

A Humming bird actually weighs just over half that of a penny with a humming bird weighing 1.8 g (0.06 oz) and a penny weighing 3.1 – 3.2 g prior to 1982 and 2.5 g post 1982.

A typical hotshoe flash puts out a very fast "pulse" of light. But how fast is fast? To freeze all motion in a hummingbird's wings, you need a duration as short as 1/5,000 to 1/20,000 of a second (50-200 microseconds). Here is a short film, The first person to film a flying hummingbird in free flight had to waste hundreds of rolls of film acclimating the bird to the sound of a mechanical camera running film at above 1000 frames a second (imagine the sound of film you hear when a president is talking, sped way up).

Seven is the average number of days a German goes without washing his or her underwear.

I only do my wash once a week, so 7 days is about right (but I bet that is not what you meant).

The first hard drive available for the Apple II had a capacity of 5megabytes.

I waited for the super-sized 10 meg drive and I think I paid $1100.00 for it.

In one year, microwave ovens consume more electricity in the standby mode than when the unit is in use.

If your little finger were cut off, you would lose about 60% of the strength of your grip.

I would love to see that tested :D

Bring me your little finger and we will test it out!! LOL

Did it really take you that long to figure this out?

A startling medical discovery:
Apples are more efficient at waking you up in the morning than caffeine.

but a direct hit will put you back to sleep

Wonder how polyphonic gotrucculliet gets his frigging spam onto DaniWeb?

There goes another polyphonic spam, this time she calls herself vescapsvece. Please, do not support those miserable spammers!

Report it to spam@uce.gov They will at least start blocking that one web address i.e. mobilephonemusic + org (don't want to increase the number of search engine hits for that site)

Karl Benz invented the first gas powered car. The car had only three wheels. The first car with four wheels was made in France in 1901 by Panhard et LeVassor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.