Oh, Yeah! I remember a photo essay about life after the 15 years of carpet bombing; one pic in particular stood out - the walls of the man's house was built entirely from different sized artillery brass!

Yea, and the "righteous" get so upset when they're told that we've
descended/ascended from animals; well, there are plenty of instances, throughout history, and even today, where our behavior, were it to be compared to animal behavour, would do animals a grave injustice.

The following statement used to be true:
"More Monopoly money is printed in a year, than real money printed throughout the world."

The following statement used to be true:
"More Monopoly money is printed in a year, than real money printed throughout the world."

Do you have an opinion why this is so?

You cannot sneeze keeping your eyes open ..;)

I beg to differ. I have been known to sneeze, rather violently and loudly, up to eight times and I can keep my eyes open if I concentrate.

(Sorry about all those I’s; it’s 2:30 am and I’m not willing to work on the wording.)

Canine
Arrest
Team
from the side of an animal control truck on Eerie

A male emperor moth can smell a female emperor moth up to 7 miles away. These moths are active only at night time.

Yea, and the "righteous" get so upset when they're told that we've
descended/ascended from animals; well, there are plenty of instances, throughout history, and even today, where our behavior, were it to be compared to animal behavour, would do animals a grave injustice.

This doe not actually make much sense - I am sure that zebras think lion behavior is terrible and carrots do not like rabbit behavior. There is no inter-species yardstick and there is nothing humans do that can't be found in nature (our tech is just tool-using).

The United States just surpassed Germany to become the world's leading wind energy market with 25.1 GW of installed wind energy capacity.

In comparison, Hoover Dam can produce about 2.1 GW, but they are gradually running out of water.

Scientists are working on the prospects of makinng diamonds from
peanut butter, by the use excessive pressure nth times greater than that at the centre of the earth. Not a joke.

They have been making diamonds from carbon under those conditions for 20 or more years. Not sure why they would use peanut butter - diamonds are pure crystalline carbon and peanut butter would have too many impurities to be of any use.

They have been making diamonds from carbon under those conditions for 20 or more years. Not sure why they would use peanut butter - diamonds are pure crystalline carbon and peanut butter would have too many impurities to be of any use.

Well you know, there is all this contaminated peanut butter sitting around after the Peanut Corporation of America has stopped their filthy production lines.

Ooh! <flashing big rock on finger> He loved me so much that I used the insurance money to turn the peanut butter that killed him into this ring.

In 1221 Genghis Khan killed 1,748,000 people at Nishapur in one hour.

In 1221 Genghis Khan killed 1,748,000 people at Nishapur in one hour.

That is too fantastic to believe. 1000 soldiers would have to kill 1748 people in one hour, and 10,000 would still have to kill 174.8 in one hour. And that's not even mentioning how difficult it would be to find that many people who are in hiding (unless they were really, really dumb). That number of people may have disappeared as a result of being conquered, but many probably relocated out of fear. It sounds more like a horror story spun by the conquered, or Genghis Khan himself to instill fear. If anyone less lazy than me wants to dig up anything more on this, please post it.

commented: Good call! I agree +9

JS Bach had 20 kids! They were all musical - many also wrote music. It is thought that more than 50% of Bach's music was lost to:
1) His widow who used some sheets to wrap glassware when she moved
2) She also used some to line shelves.
3) but most were lost to his kids who thought the old man's music was old fashioned and they rinsed the paper clean and used it to write their own music.

That is too fantastic to believe. 1000 soldiers would have to kill 1748 people in one hour, and 10,000 would still have to kill 174.8 in one hour. And that's not even mentioning how difficult it would be to find that many people who are in hiding (unless they were really, really dumb). That number of people may have disappeared as a result of being conquered, but many probably relocated out of fear. It sounds more like a horror story spun by the conquered, or Genghis Khan himself to instill fear. If anyone less lazy than me wants to dig up anything more on this, please post it.

After the husband of Genghis Khan's daughter was killed at Nishapur in 1221, she ordered the death of all in the city (~1.7 million), and the skulls of men, women, and children were piled in pyramids by the Mongols.

About 4000 years ago, it was the accepted practice in Babylonia that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calender was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know to day as the "Honey moon".

It is commonly believed that greedy hunters over-harvested the passenger pigeon and drove them to extinction. At one time flocks of p.p. would blot out the sun; they were hunted with shotguns as large as 4 and 6 gauge (never shoulder-fired, fired either from a hip pad or against a tree (see note1)). The truth is they were hunted to extinction on purpose; they were a pest. If you consider the sky filled with a flock of birds, consider also the ground covered with a layer of bird-doo 3 to 6 inches deep. Crops were destroyed either by being eaten or, later in the season, buried 6 inches deep in poo. Imagine if they still existed - think about that one 'hit' of bird doo that gets on your car, then think about coming out and finding 4 inches of doo covering your entire car. Odds are we would never have allowed that kind of mess - they never had a chance.

(note1 - the gauge of a shotgun is determined by number of round balls of bore-sized lead that makes a pound; ie 6 gauge = 1/6th of a pound of lead shaped into a ball just fits into the bore)

Businesses will spend $13.6 billion on security software this year. This does not include costs for labor, services and hardware.

The worm "Conficker", exploiting the usual weaknesses in Microsoft's Windows operating system, resides in up to 12 million computers worldwide turning them into slaves. Slaves ready to spread the worm to other PCs. Ultimately the worm will be used to spy on critical data.

Businesses will spend $13.6 billion on security software this year. This does not include costs for labor, services and hardware.

The worm "Conficker", exploiting the usual weaknesses in Microsoft's Windows operating system, resides in up to 12 million computers worldwide turning them into slaves. Slaves ready to spread the worm to other PCs. Ultimately the worm will be used to spy on critical data.

I heard some more details the other day - it has a list of thousands of ip addresses; it randomly checks a couple hundred each day until it gets its instructions. Of course, security guys are checking the sites too. I imagine that somewhere a program is randomly choosing to post instructions to these site then deleting them until 'conficker' gets its instructions which could be keyloggers or spam or whatever.

The internet was rebooted yesterday. Read on here.

James Doohan, who played Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott (Scotty) on Star Trek,
is missing the entire middle finger of his right hand.

Wow, you'd think w/ all the Star Trek I watched that I would have noticed that...

At Aberystwyth University in Wales, Ross King and colleagues have created a robot called Adam that can not only carry out experiments on yeast metabolism but also reason about the results and plan the next experiment.

Starfish don't have brains.

Cephalopods, among other interesting skills have complete control of chromatophores - They can camouflage themselves so that they are indistinguishable from their environment but they can also put on a dazzling display of light will stun prey and/or attackers.

The CDC estimates that each year 76 million Americans get food poisoning, more than 300,000 are sick enough to be hospitalized and 5,000 die.

Right now, you are not to eat any products that contain pistachio nuts from California.

Most recent stats for safety of US food supply

The CDC's new report is based on data from 10 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Maryland, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, and Tennessee.
Together, those states got a grand total of 18,499 laboratory-confirmed cases of nine food-borne illnesses in 2008.

Here's how those illnesses ranked:

1. Salmonella: 7,444 cases
2. Campylobacter: 5,825 cases
3. Shigella: 3,029 cases
4. Cryptosporidium: 1,036 cases
5. E. coli 0157: 718 cases
6. Yersinia: 164 cases
7. Listeria: 135 cases
8. Vibrio: 131 cases
9. Cyclospora: 17 cases

Children younger than 4 accounted for a greater proportion of reported food-borne illnesses than other age groups.

James Doohan, who played Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott (Scotty) on Star Trek,
is missing the entire middle finger of his right hand.

How come? I mean did he just wake up one morning, rub the sleep from his eyes, and go "Huh?! What's this then??" :D

How come? I mean did he just wake up one morning, rub the sleep from his eyes, and go "Huh?! What's this then??" :D

Haha :)
And what's even worse: He can't greet vulcans the proper way...

How come? I mean did he just wake up one morning, rub the sleep from his eyes, and go "Huh?! What's this then??"

Early in his career, he flipped off a Klingon.

Early in his career, he flipped off a Klingon.

A hungry Klingon.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.