The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

Yahoo almost picked Hooray for its company name as it started up.

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

Who exactly is this 'average' person anyway, and how come they run so many tests on him? No wonder he fell asleep; he must be exhausted!

In China a woman gives birth every 2 seconds.

Twenty-five percent of the people who live in North Africa have never seen any rainbow.

Poor woman!

Somebody needs to stop her!

Talking about babies:
The U.S. government prevents parents from giving newborn babies more than nine names.

In a year we blink over 10,000 times.

The abbreviation "LOL" first appeared in print in 1973.

Reference, please? (Actually, I'm hoping to look up the original use.)

Actually, I read that "LOL" was used for "lots of love" and predates the Internet.

A housefly lives for about one month.

The odds are eight to ten that the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train.

Japan uses 20 pounds of disposable chopsticks per person each year.

I found an estimated population of Japan at 127,433,494 as of June 2007.

That makes it 1,156,057.21 tonnes of chopsticks that Japan dumps each year!

The phonemes for Professor Stephen Hawking's computerized voice were recorded by Michael Jacobs, who is now on trial for the murder of his wife. A spokesperson for Hawking says that he has no plans to alter his voice, even if Jacobs is convicted.

Lord Byron's fame rests not only on his writings and peotry, but also on his extravagant living and numerous love affairs. His daughter Ada Lovelace, notable in her own right, collaborated with Charles Babbage on the analytical engine, a predecessor to modern computers. The Ada computer language is named after her.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are America's most popular snack food.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are America's most popular snack food.

Apologies, but Clicky

Apologies, but Clicky

Wow, a "Peanut Butter and Jelly" cartoon!

The wale's heart beats about 10 times a minute.

I will be more careful the next time I bite into a peanut.

The Eisenhower (US) interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

You know, if you just entered those "odd facts" into a google search, you would find that most are just plane bogus. This one brings up this at the top of the search:One mile in 5 is bogus

Japan uses 20 pounds of disposable chopsticks per person each year.

The largest supplier of chopsticks in the world is in Minneapolis MN

a quick google brings this tidbit: "Every year, Japan gets through roughly 24 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks. That’s 185 pairs for every person in Japan" - a quick calc says that would imply a pair of chopsticks weighs .1 pounds.

BRB (to weigh a pair)

a largish pair of mine weigh .4 oz - .1 of 16 = 1.6

I am guessing that the actual weight would be 5 pounds each;

so rather than use the weight thing - I would use either the 24 billion pairs nationally or 185 per person

I think you are close, I remember reading that Japan uses 200 pairs of disposable chopsticks per person each year.

Here is another elephant:
The average western woman consumes 6 lbs of lipstick in her lifetime.

I know that in college we used lol to designate little old ladies, this was in the 60s and may never have entered into the media.

ooh,ooh my insomnia is coming crashing down and

i going to have to get

sleep -- 5 more hours and I have to start another 12 hour day (45 min. each for bus) sigh

And some people wonder that I get grumpy

night all

The only US State that doesn't contain any of the letters of the word 'Mackerel' is Ohio.

A sparrow is the only bird that stutters.

Continuing to pick on Ohio, a state law says it is illegal to get a fish a drunk.

And elsewhere in the US, in Miami, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.

Staying with Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

And in Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

...then coming across the pond...

In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

and finally,

The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

Courtesy of The Times Online

28 percent of the value of gift cards and gift certificates is never redeemed.

Dammit. That reminds me...

Dammit. That reminds me...

Got one of those for Christmas, didn't you!

How about this elephant:
In 2007, George W. Bush's approval rating in China was seventeen percentage points higher than it was in the United States.

Got one of those for Christmas, didn't you!

Which Christmas I don't recall, other than not this last one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.