Report: Flip Flops Can Kill You http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-flip-flops,0,1421175.story

"Two New York Daily News reporters recently tested their flip flops after walking around the city for four days and found that the rubber shoes picked up about 18,100 bacteria of the five most prevalent varieties found. Among the bacteria detected was the potentially deadly Staphylococcus aureus."

"Dr. Charles P. Gerba -- professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona -- says that 93 percent of flip flops will have fecal bacteria after three months of wear, and 20 percent will have E. coli."

These are typical numbers of fecal coliform bacteria per gram of wet feces:
dog=23 million
human 13 million
pig 3.3 million
cow 0.25 million
elephant ?

So the next time you step into the usual pile of dog doo (dog owners call those "landmines") in the park, you could easily carry over one billion bacteria on your hiking boot.

The Tarahumara Indians of Mexico are the best runners in the world; they never stop running, children games include running about 50 miles while adults run hundreds of miles well into their 90s.

It is now routine practice to use insect larvae to perform initial testing of new drugs, and then to use the typical laboratory white mice for confirmation tests. This method is much faster and cheaper.

The new flu vaccines are being grown in bacterial soups rather than chicken eggs which should speed up production by about a factor of 1000

The bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa is better than most other bacteria at becoming resistant to new antibiotics, and is any hospital's nightmare bacteria.

Phyllobates terribilis (the Golden Poison Frog or the Golden Dart) is the most poisonous frog. A tiny fraction of a drop, 0.00000007 ounces, of its skin secretion is enough to kill a person.

The African Chikungunya virus has now adopted to the common Asian tiger mosquito as a carrier. Infections are more severe than West Nile virus infections. Something to look foreward to during next summer for the survivors of the swine flu.

Let's hope they bite the Golden Poison Frog first!

I heard about an English novel written by Ernest Vincent Wright
Gadsby: Champion of Youth.The interesting fact is he never used letter " e " in his novel ! and he died when he completed the novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsby_(novel)

Another news : Our hair will grow even after we died ! [ a limited offer, i mean for a few days , hehehehehehehehehe ]

The novel is most famous for a letter it omits; written as a lipogram, it purposefully does not use "e" in any word. It inspired other authors to write lipogrammatic books, including Georges Perec's famous novel A Void.

Yesterday my friend asked me two questions just two , TRY IT ..

Fill in the blanks with YES\NO

1- ________ , I Have No Brain !
2- ________ , I Am Mad !!

Only seahorses are the real Life Partners becoz :
Both mother and father take real efforts in giving birth to their babies !
Both of them will carry their baby before birth.

But in case of some birds : the father bird will wait and protect their babies.When the babies become adult then the father leaves them only after MATING with his own daughters !!

The Volcano House Hotel, built 1846 at the edge of the Kilauea volcano, burned to the ground from a kitchen fire.

Tattoos ..
Our grandfathers used tattoos for different uses to show status , their position in the economy , their skill etc ..
But in some places tattoos are used as a DEATH CERTIFICATE !!!
Yes its true , people are used tattoos to identify the dead body.

In INDIA ;
- there are over 800 languages and dialects spoken across the country !!!

Anna Pepper was born in Derby,England on 19 Dec 1882.
She was given 26 first names ! one for each of the alphabet ;
IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER : -" ANNA BERTHA CECILIA DIANA EMILY FANNY GERTRUDE HYPATIA INEZ JANE KATE LOUISA MAUD NORA OPHEALIA PRUDENCE QUINCE REBECCA STARKEY TERESA ULYSIS VENUS WINIFRED XENOPHON YETTY ZEUZ PEPPER ...... "

[ i am going to name my child as ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 1234567890 !! ]

Tommy Gun
Tommy gun sub-machine gun was invented by American Army General John Taliaferro Thompson and us Navy Commander John N.Blish . It became known as the Tommy Gun !!

King George III was one of the most insane kings in English history.

Murphy's Oil Soap is the soap most commonly used to clean elephants.

Mantis shrimps have the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom. They can see in 12 primary colors, four times as many as humans, and can also detect different kinds of light polarization. The shrimp's cell membranes are rolled into tubes, which researchers hope could be mimicked in the lab using liquid crystals. This would greatly increase the information obtained from a DVD sensor using such technology.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091025/sc_nm/us_shrimp_dvds_1

commented: You have wowed me! thanks +0

In our growth from a embryo to adult, the genetic sequencer is the same for insects, fish, as for us.

Einstein couldn't speak fluently when he was nine. His parents thought he might be retarded.

Guys, here is another one for you....

This thread has been goin for over a year and a half!!!

WOW! thats worth a freaky fact to me haha!
:)

o and here is another fact, the tuna is the fastest and hardest fighting fish pound-for-pound.

Tuna is at the top of the food chain and probably contains the most mercury per pound of any edible species.

China has 720 million cellular subscribers, that is more than that of the US and Europe combined. They are rolling out 3G mobile services nationwide, which should give their Government Internet Censors quite a workout.

Via CNet

On average, cell phone users in the United States buy new gear every 18 months. In Japan, it's about 9 months. In Europe, cell phone users get new phones every year.

King George III was one of the most insane kings in English history.

It came and went - he suffered from porphyria - he suffered from 5 bouts of it. So it goes.

A from will not quietly sit in a pot of water while it rises from room temp to boiling - it will try to escape as soon as it begins to get too hot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.