I found this site as I was exploring solutions to a little video card problem I'm having. I like to solve my own computer issues as opposed to paying someone $100/hour to do it, so I think this will be a great forum for me.

I'm just knowledgeable enough about computers to get asked by people I barely know to help them with their technical problems. I try to explain I really don't know much, but apparently knowing how to operate the right mouse button and scroller wheel, and make new desktop folders qualifies me as an expert in my town. :)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

make a thread about the problem and then post a link to it here and i will take a look at it for you :)

welcome!

Thanks! I actually did post it under "Tech Talk", "Hardware", "PCI and Add-In Cards."

Here's the post: I'm new to this site, so please forgive any breach of etiquette.

I am trying to install a graphics card on my son's computer so he can play his new Republic Commando game. He's got a Dell Dimension with a Celeron processor and 512 MB SDRAM. According to the manufacturer this is adequate to run the card. He previously just had integrated video.

I've physically installed the card and drivers, and when the computer boots I see the GeForce driver is installed and I have video while Windows is in the process of loading. THEN, right before I get to the Windows screen, the screen goes blank. I have tried rebooting several times.

Any suggestions? Do you think it's just a bad card? Diablotek tech support is a joke - I tried to get through for an hour on my dime and they don't even put you on hold. Thanks for your help.

Hey, I fixed it. After much searching I went to Dell web site, found a user with a similar issue who solved by uninstalling & reinstalling the video driver. I did that in Safe Mode, then rebooted and Windows came right up. Yay!

Hi my name is Sandi and I am a start-up business consultant. I am working on a Christian dating site start-up and am looking for a talented (could even be young) person to partner on this project. I anticipate 10 hours per week. Not sure where to post this. Visit my site to send email at eagleconsultingteam.com

Thank you very much
Sandi

the dells tend to have very inadequate power supplies (~300w) which isnt enough for a high end card and in some models they are custom so you cant replace them.

the dells tend to have very inadequate power supplies (~300w) which isnt enough for a high end card and in some models they are custom so you cant replace them.

That may be the case, but I did get it working and the boy's been gaming for nearly an hour with no trouble. So happy...

Hey Sandi --

You should probably start your own thread on this... more likely to be seen.

Welcome to Daniweb!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.