Hey All.

Please ready your pocket protectors and re-tape your black-rimmed glasses in the middle.

Here we go.

Are any of you hardened consultants who are sick to death of consulting company insurance plans? That's me - I've been copnsulting for quite a long time and finally am at the point of complete frustration with the whole insurance thing. Have any of you perhaps found a good independent insurance plan that provides good coverage at a reasonable cost?

I've been offered a great contract with a company I've worked with before, whose insurance plan is WORTHLESS. If I take that contract, I'd have to find other insurance.

So - if any of you might have found a good solution, I'd love to hear it. My wife is a stay-at-home Mom, so I really only have my company's insurance plan to leverage, unless I find my own coverage.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

if you are an independent contractor why does a company that you have a contract with provide you with insurance? you are not their employee so why should they provide you with medical insurance (I assume that's the kind of insurance you are talking about).

if you are an independent contractor why does a company that you have a contract with provide you with insurance? you are not their employee so why should they provide you with medical insurance (I assume that's the kind of insurance you are talking about).

Yes, I am talking about medical insurance. I'm not talking about independent (read: 1099) contracting - I mean W-2 based contracts where you do get benefits. That's what I've done for just about 11 years now. Some companies are better than others, benefits-wise, and this one happens to be one of the worst, but the opportunity is tremendous.

So - my question remains - does anyone know of a good personal insurance plan?

Available insurance would have to depend on what state you live in. Here is the insurance available to Illinois residents. A simple google for your state might give you something similar.

If you have a local home owner's insurance policy you might ask your insurance agent for some advice.

Thanks, AD.

I always appreciate hearing other people's opinions about products before I buy them. Yes, I can do the google thing, but in my book that doesn't tell me from a policyholder's view how good the policy is - from customer service, to claims, etc. Insurance agents sell a product - they don't service the policy, so my agent isn't the guy I'd talk to about how good a policy is.

Sorry - I really didn't intend this question to be what it apparently has been perceived to be. I was hoping to hear from someone who has an individual policy who is happy with the coverage. I know I can go to a whole bunch of websites to find insurance - but that isn't what the goal is here. I'm looking for opinions on insurance products from folks in a similar situation professionally as me.

I've never had to buy my own except though my employer. HMOs aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

This is a list of several plans in Illinois. The one from Aenta was what my previous employer offered and it was very good, I had PPE option which meant I had to select a doctor or service that was registered with them (In-Network Service). I see they only offer PPO on that site, which is nearly the same and PPE and also pretty good plans. In 10 years I never had a problem getting medical service that I needed.

But again you have to check out the plans from your state.

Thanks AD - I appreciate the feedback.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.