Heya guys, I know that its somewhat out of topic but I would like to ask if was there anyone here tried to undergo lasik surgery? I already search different kinds of forum about Lasik but unfortunately cant find the perfect community. Im just crossing my fingers here by hook or by crook that someone can share their experience about it and can give me some tips about the perfect center somewhere in Kansas. Actually a friend recommends me to <brand snipped> since they offer <offer snipped> but I want to have another option, anyone?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Too risky, I'm not going to risk my eyes to the 10% chance of permanent damage LASIK means nor my money to the 20% or so chance it won't have a permanent positive effect.

Too risky, I'm not going to risk my eyes to the 10% chance of permanent damage LASIK means nor my money to the 20% or so chance it won't have a permanent positive effect.

ohh thanks fr the reply jwenting, can you expound more about it? Im actually planning to have it because both my wife’s parents had done it before and the outcome of both of them was terrific.

Yes i have heard this also........

Very risky messing with your eyes!!

me me me ..
It is not that bad! ..

First you will have to do some tests to know the shape of your cornea and its thikness .. and then only they will tell you if you are eligible to undergo this procedure or not ..

They will ask you to clean your eyes like 3 times der day for 2 days before the operation day ..

You are not supposed to take shower for 2 days or more AFTER undergoing the procedure (the idea is not to get water get into your eyes)

You are not supposed to wear your glasses/lences for 1 week or more before the procedure ..

I was soooooooo afraaid when the machine was cutting this flap .. Docs noticed that .. they had this silly radio in the room! They turned it on! .. I was like O__o as if ill feel better! .. It did nothing to me .. they turned it off =D .. silly

Anyway .. when they create this flap .. you will see nothing .. even if you wanted .. You will be blind for some time .. then they make this laser bean CHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR into my eyes and thassit! .. They will get the flap back to its place .. and then you will be able to see normal colors again .. Yeppeeeee ..

The doc told me, come on Fatima .. walk out of the room .. you can see now ..

I stood up .. took a step or 2 .. then i was about to fall .. felt a bit dizzy .. hehe .. they held me and walked me out of their stupid theatre and .... taraaaaaaaa, momieee was there waiting for meeee ..

Your eyes will tear for like hmmmm an hour after that .. Doc will give you 4 to 5 eye drops to apply 4 or 5 times a day .. You'll have to wear your sunglasses too .. And you will be asked not to rub your eyes for the rest of your life, lol ..

It doesn't hurt .. You will feel no pain at all .. It won't take more than 2 mins for each eye ..

How old are you? You should be 18+ ..

There are other latest tech in this field .. guess its called zyoptix, ultralasik (no blades) .. read about them ..

Try checking this forum http://www.lasereyeforum.com/forum/

And sorry .. I am from the UAE and I know nothing about Kansas ..

My mom got her eyes lasered and it worked well for her. I can't get mine done, as I'm farsighted though. And I'd recommend waiting till you're at least past your 20's just in case your eyes decide to adjust themselves again. Wouldn't want to waste that procedure, afterall ;)

They are VERY LUCKY things went ok!!

Even if there were a 0.1% chance of failure (and it's 5-10% PER EYE) it would be too much for me.
Rather poor eyesight than no eyesight...

Some eye-treatments have a very high percentage of good outcomes, because they have good after procedure service in the UK. I am short-sighted, but i don't want lasers poking around on my retina!

Hey, you could get laser vision like a super hero!

Hey, if you decide to go the laser surgery route, try and get an ex-USAF doc - Pilots need near-perfect vision uncorrected so the AirForce docs do thousands of these operations with near 5 nines success rates. In fact, they are so successful that there is a decided lack of submarine pilots. I know, you are thinking "wtf - how does that relate?" Well, let me explain - before lasik, wannabe pilots with bad eyesight would settle for captaining a submarine (I guess they were flying in water instead of air) -- now with lasik, they are going for their first love.

Hey, if you decide to go the laser surgery route, try and get an ex-USAF doc - Pilots need near-perfect vision uncorrected so the AirForce docs do thousands of these operations with near 5 nines success rates. In fact, they are so successful that there is a decided lack of submarine pilots. I know, you are thinking "wtf - how does that relate?" Well, let me explain - before lasik, wannabe pilots with bad eyesight would settle for captaining a submarine (I guess they were flying in water instead of air) -- now with lasik, they are going for their first love.

Actually, until very recently, Air Force aviators were under very restrictive LASIK policy - only low flyers (basically, helicopter jocks) could have the procedure. Other AF personnel not on flying duty have had the option since 2002 or so, previously any keratotomy procedure could be done only at personal expense and personal risk.

As a long time user of the AF health care system, I'm not sure I'd trust my eyes to an AF doc. He can give me pills for my cold or allergies OK, but....

Val

Actually, until very recently, Air Force aviators were under very restrictive LASIK policy - only low flyers (basically, helicopter jocks) could have the procedure. Other AF personnel not on flying duty have had the option since 2002 or so, previously any keratotomy procedure could be done only at personal expense and personal risk.

As a long time user of the AF health care system, I'm not sure I'd trust my eyes to an AF doc. He can give me pills for my cold or allergies OK, but....

Val

I have to cop to conflating PRK and LASIK under 'laser eye surgery' - I got much of my info from here and here. I was really more about 1) the 'rule of unforeseen consequences' 2) who has the most practice performing laser surgery on eyes.

I would rather go to a surgeon who has done thousands of successful eye surgeries. I really doubt that comparing your lo-cal military doc with military eye surgeons is particularly valid.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.