Yahoo’s board plans to reject Microsoft’s $44.6 billion hostile bid in a letter on Monday, saying the offer undervalues Yahoo

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Just the usual trick to jack up the price. Microsoft will have to borrow more money, and Bernenke will screw around with the rate to make it possible.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

haha.. that's what I'm saying. $44.6 billion? I'd take the money and run... Now all Microsoft has to do is wait for yahoo to plummet, as it will. Once yahoo is doing absolutely terrible, I say they offer $44.6 million dollars instead :P

Just the usual trick to jack up the price. Microsoft will have to borrow more money, and Bernenke will screw around with the rate to make it possible.

What? Your sudden lash at the fed is idiotic. Bernanke is very intelligent, and the federal reserve has kept America from another depression.. despite the fact that congress and fiscal policy fight them all along the way..

commented: Hate the Fed, Mr. Ron Paul man! :p -2
commented: Yeh...why the hell is Yahoo! of all companies at this point being offered 45 billion dollars? 45 million sounds more like it to me. Someone at Microsoft should wake up and realize that they're throwing their money away. +3

Today Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said Microsoft is growing impatient more than two months after the Redmond, Washington-based software behemoth made its unsolicited takeover offer for Yahoo. Yahoo Inc. has three weeks to accept Microsoft Corp.'s $31 per share cash-and-stock offer, or Microsoft will mount a proxy battle to win investor support for the takeover.

I would feel so sorry for all the inovative folks at Yahoo.

I'm not good at the sarcasm detection business, but I'm guessing the above post was, in fact, sarcastic. Right?

Today Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said Microsoft is growing impatient more than two months after the Redmond, Washington-based software behemoth made its unsolicited takeover offer for Yahoo. Yahoo Inc. has three weeks to accept Microsoft Corp.'s $31 per share cash-and-stock offer, or Microsoft will mount a proxy battle to win investor support for the takeover.

Yup !
that'll certainly do.
yahoooooooooo is gonna go to microsoft....it's just a matter of time now.....(i think :| )

Amongst investors Microsoft is considered a pretty stodgy corporation. The lack of innovation certainly is part of that impression.

I would feel so sorry for all the innovative folks at Yahoo.

I hear a lot of them left when the news came out...

Amongst investors Microsoft is considered a pretty stodgy corporation. The lack of innovation certainly is part of that impression.

Oh? Can you be specific about the lack of innovation? There's a lot of people who give Microsoft a lot of credit for being innovative about how their products work, more than coming up with new off-the-wall technologies...

Oh come on. Lately MS has been rather innovative. Maybe not cuting edge hardware stuff, but MS is not a hardware company.

Look at the latest refresh of VS. Also, their implementation of HTPC software is unrivaled to date, and it keeps getting better. Don't forget surface.

Not trying to say MS is the most innovative company in the world here, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that they sit on their considerably giant ass and steal ideas from the likes of Apple.

... let's not fool ourselves into thinking that they (MS) sit on their considerably giant ass and steal ideas from the likes of Apple.

My thoughts too!

Oh? Can you be specific about the lack of innovation? There's a lot of people who give Microsoft a lot of credit for being innovative about how their products work, more than coming up with new off-the-wall technologies...

The investor wants to hear about innovations that make money down the road. Maybe Microsoft does not communicate well with the financial community?

Ah. The financial community must have missed last quarter's revenues up 90% over the previous year, with profit up like 40% (IIRC, it has been 3 months afterall). Funny, I thought they communicated those values pretty well.

Ah. The financial community must have missed last quarter's revenues up 90% over the previous year, with profit up like 40% (IIRC, it has been 3 months afterall). Funny, I thought they communicated those values pretty well.

So the stock price hasn't jumped for joy! I think the financial community is used to looking at MS more as a commodity stock. Occasional quarterly bumps, particularly comparing it to one dismal quarter one year ago are too thinly vailed for the longer term investor.

Bill Gates made his fortune with Microsoft, but is investing it elsewhere through his investment vehicle 'Cascade Investment', like Mexican brewer Fomento Económico Mexicano.

Bill Gates made his fortune with Microsoft, but is investing it elsewhere through his investment vehicle 'Cascade Investment', like Mexican brewer Fomento Económico Mexicano.

I'm sure he's putting money a lot of places. You don't keep all your eggs in one basket, especially if you have that many eggs.

Will the new company be called "MicroHoo"?

YahSoft

YahSoft

Very clever, but MicroHoo has a better ring to it.

CNN (03May2008):
Microsoft Corp. said Saturday it has withdrawn its proposal to acquire Yahoo Inc. and will not pursue a hostile bid for the Internet company. Microsoft said the breakdown of the proposal came despite having raised its bid to $33 a share after an intial offering of $31 a share -- or $44.6 billion.

You got a link for that, vegaseat? Did they give a reason for it?

Maybe Microsoft realized that they better bring out a new decent operating system after that Windows Vista disaster. Rather than to muck up the lives of all those talented folks at Yahoo.

Why dont MS release a workstation version of server 2008? its basically what vista should have been in the first place

Why dont MS release a workstation version of server 2008? its basically what vista should have been in the first place

It's all in marketing! It's what you get when you have one of those marketing guys in charge. Sort of what happened to the US auto industry (more chrome, more chrome) before the Japanese came in.

Because it wouldn't make sense for business. You've heard how fanatical everyone is about upgrading to Vista, so saying "here, here's a 'new' OS that's somewhere between Vista and 2008, now pay up yet again" would just not work. The effort (see: money) put into that release wouldn't pay itself off.

Now, depending on how well Windows 7 goes, you might see something more along those lines...

windows 7 will probably be based on server 08, thats generally how ms does it

win2k (at the time NT was almost exclusively used by businesses/develoepers) -> xp
server 2003 -> xp x64, xp itanium and vista
server 2008 -> windows 7?

From what they've been saying so far, Win7 will be drastically different from Win6 (Vista/2k8).

minwin seems interesting

Smart move on Microsoft's part. Look how the price of Yahhoo tumbled, and the speculators that thought this was a done deal lost big. MS can repeat that a few times and bring Yahoo stock down to the $5 range. Now they have a more realistic price!

MS now wants AOL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.