If "pro" and "con" are opposites, what's the opposite of "progress"?

Exactly how are you defining 'Progress' here? I know of one definition for it, but I know of a derived word which seems to indicate something else.

If "pro" and "con" are opposites, what's the opposite of "progress"?

Very nice play on words!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are sure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
-- Bertrand Russell (18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970)

How certain was he about that?

If you think you can do something, or if you think you can not, you are correct.

It is much easier to be critical than correct.

commented: very true +7

Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

Helen Keller

There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is I'll get married again.
-- Clint Eastwood

This... is my BOOM stick!

Bruce campbell, Army of Darkness. Love that movie.

A day without laughter is a day wasted.
~~~ Charlie Chaplin

In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It is the life in your years.
(Abraham Lincoln)

I read this in a cubicle the other day:
"Heisenberg may or may not have been here."

commented: very nice quote +7

If your children ever find out how lame you really are they'll murder you in your sleep.

Frank Zappa

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves.

Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts.

I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.

--- Albert Einstein

commented: nice quote +7

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
Quoted by Winston Churchill

"I think the American people — I hope the American — I don't think, let me — I hope the American people trust me."
Quoted by George W. Bush

The lighter side of life:
Pretty women make us buy beer. Ugly women make us drink beer.
-- Al Bundy

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
(Albert Einstein)

Note: or any other grandmother

Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.
Quoted by Somerset Maugham

To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.
~~~ George Washington

Another one goes something like this:

The distance between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. … The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.

That's the beauty of argument, if you argue correctly, you're never wrong.

Incidentally, if you haven't seen the movie watch it! It's excellent.

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
~~~ Oscar Wilde

Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
~~~ Marilyn Monroe

Let me not be measured by what I have today but, by what I have left by tomorrow.

My favorite - from political prankster and sometimes candidate Dick Tuck. This was his concession speech after losing an election. "The people have spoken.....The bastards!"

the word is b a s t a r d s

"whether you think you can or cannot you are right" - by i forgot the name :D and i think he is right.

He knows nothing; and he thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
~~~ George Bernard Shaw

"As house prices fall, a huge amount of financial folly is being exposed. You only learn who has been swimming naked when the tide goes out -- and what we are witnessing at some of our largest financial institutions is an ugly sight."
Just quoted by Warren Buffett

We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!

George Bernard Shaw

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.