If you had all the money in the World...

What would you buy...or

What would you do with the money?

I'll start off...

I would buy a house in California and just spend the rest of my life surfing, and writing posts on Daniweb:)

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

If you had all the money in the world, how would you expect to find a market in which you could buy a house?

commented: haha +3
commented: Well said! "Trade you two sheep for some lumber, neighbor?" +3

according to this you would own the world if you had all the money in the world,,,but i know what mallard is getting at......you mean rich like warren buffet or the sheik in Saudi. then definitely pay for a lot of the kids who are suffer from hunger and malnutrition, then contribute to the cure for breast cancer, build houses for all my family & friend and get then any thing they want, i would give dani all the money she would ever need to keep this going,,,,

If I had all the money in the world -- I'd give it away to everyone that wants it. But I'd have to be very careful about that too because it could cause a surge in the inflation rate. If I gave everyone a million dollors (pounds, or whatever currency you like) then it might cost a thousand dollars for a gallon of gas or an apple. If I invested it in the stock market then the price of stocks would skyrocket. The only way to avoid high world-wide inflation rates with that much money is to hide it under my mattress and not spend any of it. In that case what good would it be ?

I would destroy the economy and take over the world.

If I'd have all the money in the world, money would be called something else.

yah, if one person had all the money in the world the economy would no longer be money based and therefore that money would have no value over the intrinsic value of its base materials.

So the paper notes would make novelty toilet paper, the coins would be melted down into metal bars and exchanged for goods more useful to me.

Instead of being incredibly literal I think I will answer the way he intended the question. If I was obscenely rich I would find the best landscape in Maine (heart-stopping sunsets, mountains in the background with an old country road no one uses) and have my dream house built. Two floors, first floor has everything I need except for what is on the second, Second floor is a large library with a computer in the middle. I would buy the best computer I could find and run the fastest internet around out to my house. I would have one room facing the mountains with a huge window that I could look out of. I would have a modest TV (30 in) and your average cable package. No phone because I hate talking to people that way. I would listen to 100.3 WKIT all the time while I cooked and surfed the web. I would read and write for most of the day and sleep only when required.

he-he
Well just to carry on this one, I would buy a state in America or buy a county in England, name it whatever i like, and drive around it with my fleet of super-cars.

he-he
Well just to carry on this one, I would buy a state in America or buy a county in England, name it whatever i like, and drive around it with my fleet of super-cars.

Always thinking so small. ;)
And in any case, what part do you not understand that your bill notes would be good as toilet paper?

If I had all the money in the world, I would have to hire a huge private army (something like Blackwater) right away to protect it.

Too many headaches! I would be happier without it. You couldn't even give it away quickly, it would create one giant riot.

I guess the whole thread is a rather unintelligent question.

Not unintelligent at all. You can tell a lot from a person by asking them this question and analyzing their response.

If I had all the money in the world, I would have to hire a huge private army (something like Blackwater) right away to protect it

Not if you tried to keep it a secret.

Think! If you wanted to keep it a secret, you couldn't use it!

If you spent normal amounts of money each year then you could keep it a secret.

Ok
so maybe the question wasn't used in the right way. What I meant was if you a lot of money, what would you do with it...

I didn't think you guys would take it so literally...

If you spent normal amounts of money each year then you could keep it a secret.

Think, since nobody else has money, everybody could figure out where it is coming from.

Ok
so maybe the question wasn't used in the right way. What I meant was if you a lot of money, what would you do with it...

I didn't think you guys would take it so literally...

The idea was good though! The answers so far were interesting. I would buy a ticket to heaven by giving it all to the Catholic Church.

Think, since nobody else has money, everybody could figure out where it is coming from.

I was under the impression that you did not have all the money in the world. Maybe you should think (your favorite word it seems) and stop being so literal. If you read my original post I said that I was using the scenario that you had billions of dollars becasue you could not have all the money in the world.

I'd make half of the US a preserve, buy a really nice RV, and a really nice computer with a wireless internet card, a really nice camera, and an old WWII M1 Grand and just travel around the preserve livin off the land and doing computer stuff at the same time

. I would buy a ticket to heaven by giving it all to the Catholic Church.

Don't you know you can't buy your way to heaven ?

I said that I was using the scenario that you had billions of dollars becasue you could not have all the money in the world.

I, for one, wouldn't know what to do with all that money. I'd probably have to give it away similar to what Bill Gaates is doing -- he's going to give most of his billions away before he dies (or at least that's what he has said). Bill Gates and his wife have an foundation whose goal is to give away money.

Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett set our overarching priorities—such as improving health and reducing extreme poverty in the developing world and improving high school education in the U.S.—and they establish high-level goals for our grantmaking programs. Then our three program teams devise a strategy for meeting these goals.

Bill Gates isn't the first person to do that -- Rockerfeller Foundation was formed many years ago (in 1913) to do that also.

I'll wake up in this nightmare....

The idea was good though! The answers so far were interesting. I would buy a ticket to heaven by giving it all to the Catholic Church.

As AD said, you can't buy your way into heaven. The Roman Church wouldn't be able to guarantee your ticket even if you could; from what I've read, they don't guarantee anybody heaven.

What would I do in a situation where I had a great deal of available worth? (Note: A great deal of 'money' wouldn't necessarily be the same thing; consider the duetschmark between the Wars.)

I'd try one of two things, both of which I ocasionally daydream about.

1) Convert as much as possible to gold or silver (one only) and attempt to set up my own currency, just to see how well it did on the markets.

2) Buy a medium-sized region somewhere and see first-hand whether or not the feudal system could work out in the modern age. Although how I'd get people to agree to join in on that...

I'm going to pay all the Liabilities of all Countries in the World..

Kenneth

Don't you know you can't buy your way to heaven ?

It all depends what you belief! Martin Luther spoiled it all.

I would establish city on the moon for scientists, dreamers and poets.

Be a loan shark with a low interest rate...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.