Ok, I know its old, but I wanted to know if this worked on Vista...

First the (quick) story.

We had to fix a clients PC, was riddled with crap, so we called the customer and told her that it would be better to back up all her data, and re-install the software. She asked about Vista, and as it was a new machine, we said Vista would be fine.

So we installed it, or rather my business partner did. After 4 hours installing and getting her old files back on, he decided to take a break and went to the local deli to get us both something to eat.

Whilst he was away, I downloaded and installed SysInternals Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) Screensaver, set it for 30 mins and waited...

He came back and we sat down to eat. 15 mins into our lunch, the Vista PC Blue Screened, He spat out his food and screamed 'Oh No' (with a few choice blue coloured words). Needless to say, he wasn't happy. After 30 mins of him trying hard to find out what the issue was, I looked at him scratching his head, and I came clean.

Luckily, he laughed and let out a big sigh, knowing that there was nothing actually wrong with his Vista installation.

You too can play the same trick.

Download the BSOD Screensaver [ From Here ] Full instructions on the page.

Let us know here at DaniWeb if you tried this and what the outcome was.

Sulley's Boo commented: Thank you :P +4

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

i haven't tried it on vista but did use it with xp. i found the outcome hilarious! what a trip, i will be vnc'ing employee computers and adding this on theirs!

Ohhh you are an evil one :) :) Several (ok many) years ago during MS-DOS 6.X days I played a similar prank on my boss. I wrote a tiny C program that did nothing but display "Formatting drive c: Please Wait ...". I ran it on his computer after he left the room, and when he came back I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown :)

only know it's cool on xp

lol that's a good one, and you say im Evil. Might be worth writing something new. Might become really big.

My favorite way to mess with folks is do a screen capture of their desktop, save it as an image, then display the image fullscreen (irfanview works well)

They spend minutes clicking on their shortcuts, the start button, taskbar....

My favorite way to mess with folks is do a screen capture of their desktop, save it as an image, then display the image fullscreen (irfanview works well)

They spend minutes clicking on their shortcuts, the start button, taskbar....

Now that is really evil! Here I thought you were such a nice person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1bgsvsWms

That video gave me an idea:

I made a wave that had 5 minutes of silence and then a loud scream. Set it as the startup sound on a co-worker's computer and watched him :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1bgsvsWms

That video gave me an idea:

I made a wave that had 5 minutes of silence and then a loud scream. Set it as the startup sound on a co-worker's computer and watched him :)

Hahah Thats funny

How about, when you get acces to someone's computer:

-Capture a screenshot of the entire desktop
-Turn the screenshot upside down
-Set the screenshot as the background image
-Hide the original icons, and the task bar

Now the screen is an exact copy of what it used to be, but upside down :)

And, to add some fun: if the computer has the function to turn the desktop upside down (for usage with a projector i guess) then do so.. The screen will look the same as before you touched the computer, but the mouse will be funny, icons and lins unclickable, ...

~Majoxu

commented: haha! +4

Pull the power cord, wrap clear tape around one of the prongs, plug it back in. About 67% of the users will never figure it out.

Pull the power cord, wrap clear tape around one of the prongs, plug it back in. About 67% of the users will never figure it out.

So that is what my students are doing, and I kept buying new computers.

And, to add some fun: if the computer has the function to turn the desktop upside down (for usage with a projector i guess) then do so.. The screen will look the same as before you touched the computer, but the mouse will be funny, icons and lins unclickable, ...

the control panels for most graphics cards e.g ati/nvidia willl have this too

The upside-down video screen would be normal down under (Australia). :)

That reminds me of the fake DOS program I wrote 20 years ago.

No matter what you did, it gave the error message:

BAD COMMAND OR FILE NAME.

and then it printed a C:\ prompt and waited for input. It repeated this until you used ctrl-C.

You can also set Word to print in mirror printing to make T-shirt transfers.

Push the Scroll Lock key on someone's computer when they are not looking, and watch what happens.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.