Hi all. just wondered if you'd like to share with us all what your favourite project/application/website is that you worked on (i.e. the one you enjoyed the most and was most pleased with at the end). Thanks for your input!

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Too many to list to be honest and my favorites required a NDA agreement so I 100% can't mention those....

The current company I work for had a really bad website and I scrapped it and redid the whole thing from top to bottom.

http://www.rotorclip.com/

Inside and out... back end coding + db + gfx design.

looking good, very stylish site techniner!

Thanks bud!

I take pride in my work.

Never worked on web programming -- don't know the first thing about it either. All my experience is with desktop and wireless (barcode scanners) devices and interfacing with other equipment you might find on assembly lines in manufacturing plants. Probably the most interesting one was writing a program for a toothbrush manufacturer in Tennessee, that interfaced PC, database, vt100 terminals, and lazer printer that etched text on the sides of toothbrushes. Over the 12 years I worked for that company I got to visit quite a few manufacturing plants of all sorts.

All my experience is with desktop and wireless (barcode scanners) devices and interfacing with other equipment you might find on assembly lines in manufacturing plants

You know anything about EpoS and warehouse management?

my best project was getting a load of old 486DX to run as diskless X terminals.

Hmm. Probably the audio streaming transmitter interfaced to a PC with a custom USB interface. I got to bring in my old stereo and speakers for device testing! But the 8051-cored USB micro and the DSPs were way fun (after the learning curve) and really cool 'exotics' to mess with.

I haven't really worked on many extravagant projects. Nurtured some pet projects over time... favourite (which doesn't work anymore!), was a program that sent SMS text messages via an online interface. Very convenient, but the website has changed how it works (potentially techniner's work ;)). I haven't put much work into remedying the problem, but man am I frustrated.
DSPs are fun, alright, Dave. Can be a head-wrecker from time to time though!

>> lazer printer
Laser printer? American spelling? But that wouldn't really make sense... :-/

commented: "DSPs are fun, alright, Dave. Can be a head-wrecker from time to time though!" -- True dat. +13

yeah is AS

"Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation"

A Web application framework in Java. Hierarchical-MVC, each controller a state machine, each state with a template or UI panel. View is an nested composition of the views of the current states of the tree of active controllers. Its stable and a bunch of example apps work OK. I wrote it to help get work, like a portfolio piece, and because I crave attention. I'll switch the site on in two of three weeks then brace myself for the constructive criticism ;)

>> lazer printer
Laser printer? American spelling? But that wouldn't really make sense... :-/

You have to check the AD dictionary to find that spelling :)

commented: Ah. I thought your experience may have lead to exposure to a new (or perhaps old now ;)), technology of which I was ignorant. +5

I am presently working on emulation of human movements through robotics as my college project.

I am working on an expert system to replace our lying and cheating political leadership with a lying and cheating computer system. :)

commented: hehe +1
commented: LOL :) Didn't we have a prototype in the 2000 election ? +24

lol sneekula !

A collaboration between my best friend and I in lower sixth form. It was a text based python espionage game that we focused really hard on emulating AI.

Although I can't find the code ANYWHERE, I distinctly remember a level on the game where the player has to diffuse a bomb by simply choosing either a red wire or a blue wire, and although it seemed like just that to the player, in the background there were algorithms going off analyzing the player's previous mistakes and successes and trying to decide the odds of the player's character being right about it, while still giving some degree of randomness.

There was also this fighting scene so to speak where they player is attacked by goons and "supergoons" that tried to group and attack in ways that were more damaging (I can't even remember how we did it now).

Anyhow, I never have that much fun coding anymore, because everything I write has to have some economic purpose or whatever. I can't, say, decide to branch off and code something marginally useless, but would still add just a little bit to the users' experiences. It's the marginally useless things that are more fun to code. At least, imho.

I am working on an expert system to replace our lying and cheating political leadership with a lying and cheating computer system. :)

That might just be an impossible project! Working on Perpetual Motion surely would give you better results.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.