hi guys,
I have just installed debian 2.6.18-6-amd64 and am trying to install the graphics card i have a 7600 gt and have downloaded the package from nvidia i reboot into single user mode so that gdm isnt started and then run the package. It tells me that the driver hasnt been built for my kerenel would i like to check ftp://nvidia.com i say yes but it cant connect as the network isnt enabled in single user mode so it then says would you like to compile for your kerenel i click yes but it cant find the kerenl soure files. Now i know i need to install them but where do i get them from i have tried using apt-get but it cant find them. Please help!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Most likely the drivers only require the Linux kernel headers. Find out your kernel version with:

uname -r

Then grab the kernel headers with something like:

apt-get install kernel-headers-[B][I]version[/I][/B]

Then try to recompile again. If that doesn't work, you might want to try downloading the full kernel source (which would be kernel-source-version).

hi i have tried

apt-get install kernel-headers-`uname -r`

but it doesnt work i have also tried

apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.18-6-amd64

and this doesnt work as it cannot find the package, i have selected all the selectable repostories also when i google for thoes kernel headers i get nothing. I have tried looking for the kernel source on the debian website but am probably lookin in the wrong place cld u give me a link?? cheers

managed to get it working wasted most of my sunday doing it but it wors !!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.