Bill Gates ?? think again because he lost that title in January this year when he tried a hostile takeover of Yahoo. Microsoft stock fell 15% and put poor Bill in the #3 spot behind Warren Buffett (now #1) and Carlos Slim Helú from Mexico.

Full article here.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Still though... didn't he give away a lot of his money? Or make some charity or something? The margin's not that big. Still though. He was there for a while. I wonder if he'll jump back.

>> He is up $2 billion from a year ago and would have been perhaps as rich -- or richer -- than Buffett had Microsoft not made an unsolicited bid for Yahoo (YHOO, news, msgs) at the beginning of February.
I read something similar before. How was their takeover bid of Yahoo 'unsolicited'? Were Yahoo on the market? Did MS put forward a reasonable price? Were they right to try? How is it unsolicited? It's like saying trying to buy a car is an unsolicited attack on a car manufacturer.

Because of the rapid and deliberate devaluation of the US Dollar, you have to make sure your wealth is in another currency.

Are you sure it was a hostile takeover attempt? I was under the impression that they approached Yahoo's board who turned them down, resulting in MS taking a hit?

Yep, and then they got "hostile", but it's nothing you wouldn't really find happening in the Corporate world.

>> Are you sure it was a hostile takeover attempt?
I was quoting from the link. They used the word "unsolicited". I'm of the same opinion, csgal. I thought it was by-the-books. I saw that term being used in at least two other articles too...

Rich are getting richer and Poor are getting poorer..
Thats how to goes.......
Everybody Knows... :D

Thanks for sharing anyways :)

Alley

The other question should be:
"Who of the richest folks pays the most tax?"

I don't think you can call that hostile MS trying to take over Yahoo. Anyways, most prolly Bill will be knocking on that no. 1 spot again.

The other question should be:
"Who of the richest folks pays the most tax?"

Considering that the two richer ones don't live in a country with a lot of tax, the question is moot.

It also doesn't matter, because there are so few rich people that even taxing them 100 percent wont increase the amount of money government has.

The real question to ask is, "Why is government taxing people below the poverty level?"

I heard there is some Indian Guy who is one of the richest person in the world and getting in TOP now.

Its like a story telling.. but doesn't really matter who is in TOP or not.

The real question to ask is, "Why is government taxing people below the poverty level?"

In USA? They aren't taxed and they pay no income taxes, but of course they pay other taxes (consumption taxes) just like everyone else and in some cases they don't evey have to pay that. Here in Illinois there are certain not-for-profit community homes which can get tax exempt cards so that they can buy food, clothing, etc with no tax. There's one such home in my area for people with cerebral palsy.

How come that Bill Gates is on 3rd please of being the richest man?

The way the Dollar is sinking it reminds me of the old Italian Lira. We could soon see Trillionairs in the US.

I doubt it we would see Trillionairs. Right now the richest person in the world only has 6.2% of what would be needed for a trillion dollars.

Argentina used to have 1200% annual inflation rate. It wouldn't take long to create trillionairs.

Henri, you are scaring the socks off me there! Let's hope there are some responsible folks left in Washington. The Federal Reserve seems to have none of them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.