I joined the cnadaian infantry but was out in no time due to some lifestyle choices they didnt agree with.

Im not gay :), I like(d) to party too much.

Im glad because i was young and needed a path to follow but the path found me. now i have a beautiful wife and child, all my limbs and a bright future.

none of that would have happened if i stayed.

jasimp commented: Now you just have to keep walking that path +6

Navy Recruiter: Just fill out this form, and you're on your way to the reserve.
Homer Simpson: There's a question that's crossed out.
NR: Well... due to a recent presidential order, we're not allowed to ask that particular question.
HS: I think I can make it out.
[reads]
HS: "Are you a homosex...”
NR: [interrupts] For God's sake, don't answer that, I could go to jail!
HomerS: But I'm not a homose...
NavyR: [covers his ears and sings loudly] La, la, la, la, la, la, la, I am not lis-ten-ing! La, la, la, la, la...
[exits]
HS: Nice fella. I wonder if he's gay?

wait, america dosnt accept gays? wtf is up with that i thaught y'all were meant to the land of freedom ;)

Why send a perfectly good gay to another country to have him killed?

Canada does accept gay people in the army bennet, i was joking.

What, you couldnt tell by my smiley face. ha.

tuns out america do, but only if you hide it, else you get fired.

We allow it here in the Uk i think.

War is simply too dirty for gay people.

The socalled Miracle Marine, who survived being burned over more than 95 percent of his body in Iraq and established a charity to help burned children has died, the military has announced. Now there is a hero!

he sounds like that bloke what got burnt in the falklands war, he did the same thing.He had 49% burns i think

I have to admire you Brits, you won that Falklands War despite all odds, and got rid of a very brutal military dictatorship in Argentina at the same time. Success all around, that's the way to do it, congratulations!

Come to think of it, you had great leadership in those days.

ol' maggie thatcher

she did lots of good, but she also did lots of bad (privatisation of vortually everything + destroyed the UK mining industry, which crashed the eonomy of the north, scotland and wales)

with hindsight we see that privatisation maybe wasnt the best idea...

but as far as good goes, she showed those argentines, made us a nuclear superpower, and kept us out of the EU

The EU is pretty much like the UN, one good idea at first, but then the beggar countries are taking over.

One positive note on the EU, it has so far prevented another war in Europe.

One positive note on the EU, it has so far prevented another war in Europe.

um, how?

Usually ignored victims of a war:

About 300,000 troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTSD results from wartime trauma such as receiving wounds or witnessing others being hurt or killed. Symptoms include irritability, outbursts of anger, sleep difficulties, trouble concentrating, extreme vigilance, and an exaggerated startle response.

Many of these people start to withdraw and isolate themselves and are unable to hold down a job. Medication that is normally prescribed for depression does not work well in these cases.

I wonder if old Mrs. Clinton could do as good a job as the Iron Lady.

The Iron Lady was a class act. Hillary would have to be reborn to follow in her shoes.

What makes the Iron Lady a 'class act'? She has a Brit. accent? She beat up on Argentina?

Strangely enough the Iron Lady had a PhD in Chemistry. Maybe that's why a lot of things she did actually made sense.

Hillary Clinton is trying to polarize the US along gender lines, the Iron Lady never did that. Old ladies are Hillary's major support.

Hillary Clinton is trying to polarize the US along gender lines, the Iron Lady never did that. Old ladies are Hillary's major support.

You see what you look for. What you are saying is as meaningless as saying that Obama is trying to polarize the US along racial lines or that McCain is trying to split the US along,er, along.... ah! Age line, yeah, McClain is trying to polarize the US along generational lines.

We ought to shift this kind of stuff into the Presidential Election thread. Well maybe an election is kind of a throw the mud war.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.

I know that you are joking but I am going to respond as if you weren't for those who don't see the joke.

"War boosts our economy" is an example of the 'Broken Window Fallacy' - imagine, if you will, 'a vandal throwing a brick through a shopkeeper's window. The shopkeeper will have to purchase a new window from a glass shop for a sum of money, say $250. A crowd of people who see the broken window decide that the broken window may have positive benefits:
After all, if windows were never broken, what would happen to the glass business? Then, of course, the thing is endless. The glazier will have $250 more to spend with other merchants, and these in turn will have $250 to spend with still other merchants, and so ad infinitum. The smashed window will go on providing money and employment in ever-widening circles. The logical conclusion from all this would be ... that the little hoodlum who threw the brick, far from being a public menace, was a public benefactor. (p. 23 - Hazlitt)The Broken Window Fallacy is enduring because of the difficulty of seeing what the shopkeeper would have done. We can see the gain that goes to the glass shop. We can see the new pane of glass in the front of the store. However, we cannot see what the shopkeeper would have done with the money if he had been allowed to keep it, precisely because he wasn't allowed to keep it. We cannot see the set of golf clubs not purchased or the new suit foregone. Since the winners are easily identifiable and the losers not, it's easy to conclude that there are only winners and the economy as a whole is better off.'

AD - thanks for the opportunity dig that up - I had completely forgotten about the broken window fallacy

I understand where you are coming from and fully agree with you but why not ask the family of the soldiers that died in any war, what they think of the broken window fallacy???

Britain is still paying off debts that predate the Napoleonic wars because it's cheaper to do so than buy back the bonds on which they are based.

we only paid off world war 2 lend/lease borrowing to the USA in the 1990s

I understand where you are coming from and fully agree with you but why not ask the family of the soldiers that died in any war, what they think of the broken window fallacy???

Mainly because this is not a very good idea - it is rather intrusive and you have no idea what the answer would be Vis à Vie the attitude of the parent - some parents are proud that their child died for a good cause, some aren't. I remember quotes from parents during the VN war "I am proud to have given my child for such a good cause"

But I know where you are coming from.

we only paid off world war 2 lend/lease borrowing to the USA in the 1990s

You should have waited for a while longer, at the rate the Dollar devalues a few Pounds could have done it!

All wars are wars among thieves who are too cowardly to fight and therefore induce the young people of the world to do the fighting for them.
-- Emma Goldman

Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.
-- John F. Kennedy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.