"The reason we start a war is to fight a war, win a war, thereby causing no
more war."

George W. Bush

I think war is a dangerous place.
--George W. Bush, Washington, DC, 05/07/2003

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
~~~ Albert Einstein

George W. Bush in an interview on CBS News on 9/6/2006:
"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."

The US has won the war in Iraq, so I guess this is solved.

War doesn't determine who's right - only who's left.

During World War II, the free-tailed bat caves near San Antonio were guarded closely as part of top-secret Operation X-ray. The U.S. military attempted to train the bats to carry small incendiary bombs and release them in Japanese buildings. During one test, bat bomb carriers escaped and set fire to barracks and a general’s car. The project was scrapped after that.

Well, you can do your part by making your own Bat-House (with The Delicate Sound of Thunder in the background - what would be apropos )

anyone here even been in the armed forces?

opinions?

Yes. I have a Purple Heart and A CIB I picked up in Vietnam.
I've ranted about this before, so let me just say this:
The infantry fight these battles and takes the majority of the casualties, backed up by all the other support troops. When I was picking up my dead and wounded after the battles, I wanted to know if the sacrifice these guys made was furthering the interests of the American people. It wasn't then, it isn't now.
Go look at a badly wounded veteran, or see and smell the dead on the battlefield and you might have a different take on this, or any war.
War is a serious business, and this one is being run by amateurs.

commented: well said +31

You are right! War is serious business, and this one is being run by amateurs at the top.

An old imperial motto:
"When in doubt, escalate the war!"

Yes. I have a Purple Heart and A CIB I picked up in Vietnam.
I've ranted about this before, so let me just say this:
The infantry fight these battles and takes the majority of the casualties, backed up by all the other support troops. When I was picking up my dead and wounded after the battles, I wanted to know if the sacrifice these guys made was furthering the interests of the American people. It wasn't then, it isn't now.
Go look at a badly wounded veteran, or see and smell the dead on the battlefield and you might have a different take on this, or any war.
War is a serious business, and this one is being run by amateurs.

I looked up the word "Ranted" and there was a photo of you!!! I have never known any of my fellow servicemen that served with me in Viet Nam to ever talk about it as you do. I could never relate what it is like over there to anyone that was there with me, let alone someone that has never seen anything like it before.

This post was intended to be a light hearted look at the silly things said and done during warfare. It was never intended to be a "Last post". Please keep it a light hearted post to enjoy!!

Afghanistan is the most daring and ambition mission in the history of NATO.
--George W. Bush

I just read in the news that some bomber on a bicycle blew up a German armored vehicle in Afghanistan. There were quite a number of dead. A bicycle vs. an armored car?

because he was probably wearning an explosive vest.

Also depends on thier definition of "armoured"

humvee = death box on wheels
land rover = same, but even worse

A real APC would still take significant damage from an IED.

Shoot, the French Resistance was successfully using crossbows against German tanks (if you consider a few dead tanks for the whole war successful) -- granted, they did have explosives on the quarrel. What happened was the quarrel made an instantaneous weak point in the armor then the explosives went off, blowing out a cone of armor that would bounce around inside the tank causing meat damage.

yeah but modern armoure vehichles should have explosive reactive armour

The Russians used cocktails against German tanks with success. No wonder the Krauts lost that war too. I drink to that!

Are the Germans using NATO as an excuse to take over more territory? How did they ever get to far away Afghanistan?

No one should be dumb enough to think they can conquer Afghanistan. Everyone who tried it was crushed against the mountains. The Russians killed over a million and half Afghans and still lost there. The British tried, yadda,yadda,yadda.

---
I just read in the news that some bomber on a bicycle blew up a German armored vehicle in Afghanistan. There were quite a number of dead. A bicycle vs. an armored car?

It's not just the Germans that get killed there.

This is in the news today:
US helicopter gunships pounded one Afghan army post and killed large numbers of Afghan soldiers loyal to Hamid Karzay.

These Afghan soldiers may have turned into Taliban terrorists sooner or later anyway! The US was just preemptive. These things happen, after all war is hell!

an "outisde the box" idea:

legalise drugs and nationalise the poppy fields
that way we can have a real war on drugs, while genrating lots of $$$ for afghanistan.

Germans

That mention reminded me of this.

That mention reminded me of this.

You are right Dave, British, American, Canadian, Dutch, Australian and Danish soldiers bear all of the combat weight in Afghanistan. The rest of the coalition forces sit around and keep busy by carefully cleaning their vehicles. Who are the fools?

"It's the Afghan national army that went into Najaf and did the work there."

Spoken by George W. Bush during a joint press conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi (Washington, DC 09/23/2004)

For those of you that are geography-challenged, Najaf is in Iraq.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.