Regular: A Daniweb member who visits/posts frequently, and tends to be friends with others who visit/post frequently.

New members could easily be overwhelmed by the mass of people running around, and it's hard to fit yourself in a community as old as Daniweb, where members are already well entrenched and have formed cliques. To make this inclusion easier, I had the idea of introducing those people who are around a lot and well known in the community.

This way new (and not so new) members can see who the big names are, why they're big names, and get a little background in the history of Daniweb. A little inside knowledge goes a long way toward fitting in. :)

So here are the rules:

1) You're not allowed to introduce yourself.

2) You're not allowed to bash someone for an introduction you don't agree with.

3) You're allowed to add to an introduction. For example, if someone introduces Dani and forgets to mention that she's a hopeless work-a-holic, you're welcome to add that to partial introduction.

4) You're encouraged to be honest. I'm well aware that some members aren't popular, so there's no need to pretend otherwise. We want the new guys to get a realistic idea of Daniweb. Hopefully everyone can be professional enough not to get into fights because of a harsh introduction. :icon_rolleyes:

I'll start.

Ancient Dragon

AD is in the informal clique of guru programmers for the Software Development category. If you ask a programming question, he's one of those most likely to answer it and be 100% correct. He's also a moderator with duties that span multiple categories and managed to get placed on the short list of featured posters for his contributions to Daniweb.

I don't know much about AD, and I can't really say that we're friends. However, I respect his opinion and trust him thoroughly when it comes to working together as moderators. He's very down to earth and has good judgement.

I get the impression that he's somewhat anti-social (when are you going to hang out more on IRC?) and limits himself to answering programming questions in the Software Development categry and moderator duties. He has a typical programmer mindset but hides it admirably most of the time. The rest of the time he's your typical cranky old man.

As a member he's great about helping people out by answering questions. His answers are almost always spot on and detailed. I find that I don't have to correct him often, despite his sickening post count and activity. AD has been around for a relatively long time, both in the real world and on Daniweb. ;)

As a moderator I've seen him make some bad decisions, but you can't expect everyone to be perfect. His good decisions far outweigh the bad ones. He's one of the moderators that I (as super mod) find myself relying on for picking up slack and setting a good example. He's very reliable and I have to try hard not to shove too much work on him. :(

Dani commented: I rarely hand out rep but this is an awesome thread. Thanks so much for starting it! +32

Recommended Answers

All 39 Replies

John A:
One of the most helpful users in the *NIX and Macintosh areas of the Tech Talk forums. He's a moderator. I can say that John A is not only a helpful person, but also a very nice one as well. He also keeps up a blog (in his signature).
Not much more I know about him, though.

The Dude:
One of the, in my opinion, funniest people (and one of the most pointless) on this forum. He usually resides in the Geek Lounge forum, posting funny links, games, and jokes. Hence his 2,250 post count :)

jbennet:
A helpful (and sometimes a thread bumper for the sake of repeating what the last person said) member of Daniweb, who I see roaming around all four corners of Daniweb, for the most part. He's in *NIX a lot of the time, helping many people. He plays bass, and his custom title is "Bass guitar god!" He is also a moderator, and has over 10,000 posts (which, if I had, I may have to kill myself).

Crunchie

Crunchie is the person that can fix almost any virus, spyware, or other nasty problem. He has over 6000 posts is the Virus, Spyware and other nasties forum. He has almost limitless patience when it comes to computer illiteracy and users problems. If you have a virus related problem he can fix it. He is also a Proud member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals). (Which you can find the link to in his signature).

jbennet:
The real computer genius here. Never gives you an old and stale idea or opinion. His only challenge is the English language, probably because he is Scottish. I don't know what the native language of Scottland is?

Ancient Dragon:
AD's opinions are exactly the same as my grandpa Simon's. So I imagine him to be a friendly little old wise man with a billiard ball head.

Narue

Narue is awesome because she comes up with threads such as these. When she first started here a couple of years ago, she was known for knowing her stuff but having a bit of an attitude, especially with the newbies. However, she's since toned down A LOT. (If you asked me, motherhood turned her into a softy.) She also likes to play with different online personalities amonst different communities.

When it comes to her administrative capability, I trust her implicitely. We are always on the same page and tend to have very similar views with most situations, including sharing the same vision for DaniWeb, which I think is the most important. She makes an awesome super moderator :) She's been an invaluable advisor for me when it comes to dealing with community issues.

However, I don't hang out much in the C and C++ forums, where she frequents, so while I hear excellent things, I don't have any firsthand experience.

yeah, narue is still kinda scary if you get on her bad side (e.g void main-ers) - but she knows a LOT about programming and is a good super mod

He's in *NIX a lot of the time, helping many people. He plays bass, and his custom title is "Bass guitar god!" He is also a moderator, and has over 10,000 posts (which, if I had, I may have to kill myself).

:) yeah, im usually in community intros (which i moderate), the offtopic forums, or dead machines / windows NT (i generally just lile helping people which is why i joined daniweb, plus it teaches me loads and is useful for my job)

I was also called proliant_fan, once upon a time.

anyway, back to the topic at hand

Serunson

He got his name from the online games we play, where he is Lord Serunson. We go to college together and met at school because we were in the same resistant materials class (resistant materials = posh word for woodwork) and we both were nerds. He however, is a bigger nerd than me. I got him in to daniweb because he does the BTEC National IT Practitioner qualification at college with me, as well as physics and electronics

He initially didnt want to join DW but my constant talk about it got him into it ;)

he is active in the community introductions forum and IRC and the windows NT/Dead machines foruns

vmanes
Like his atavar suggests is a grandfatherly well meaning figure, always helpful and friendly. He helps folks a lot in the difficult C++ forum. I mainly know him from the lounge, but always enjoy his insights into life as it is!

jwenting
Don't let his sometimes rough and conservative exterior fool you, deep down he has the deepest and best sense of humour in the forum. He is an excellent programmer and knows his languages, he is at home with Java. One word of caution, don't start to talk about photography with him, it will be tough to have him stop.

The Dude

Every community needs a jester and The Dude acts in that capacity at DaniWeb. He always puts a big smile on my face with his humerous and sometimes informative posts in the Geek's Lounge. The Dude is to DaniWeb that Jerry Lewis, Lucille Ball, Jonathan Winters, Benny Hill and many others were to commedy. I really don't know how he finds the time to do all that surfing and find those many links he posts. He's one person who I wish the rep system meant something in the Geek's Lounge because of his contributions to the DaniWeb community as a whole.

The Dude
A real genius, makes you think and even laugh when you actually don't feel like it. I don't think he/she has not one nasty bone in his/her body! Thanks Dude!

iamthwee
Industrious Poster with a large number of reputating browny points. Very smart, but likes to egg folks on a little when he/she gets bored. May just be a perfect geek!

joshSCH
Presently a banned member. Has the language skills of an 18th century Thames river washer woman. His posts make even iamthwee's worst contributions look like message from heaven. You want to study an unhappy person, take a look.

Has the language skills of an 18th century Thames river washer woman. His posts make even iamthwee's worst contributions look like message from heaven. You want to study an unhappy person, take a look.

4) You're encouraged to be honest. I'm well aware that some members aren't popular, so there's no need to pretend otherwise. We want the new guys to get a realistic idea of Daniweb. Hopefully everyone can be professional enough not to get into fights because of a harsh introduction.

be good

I'd say that was pretty accurate, except maybe the unhappy part (though he may be unhappy because of his ban) ;)

And what's wrong with photography? 4 cameras too much for you (and an option on a 5th)? ;)

sneekula:
I know Snee is a science grad student. He likes the Cs, that is the C language, Computers, Church, Chemistry, Cooking and Cars. He seems to be light hearted, easy going, and on occasion will leave the Geek's Lounge to make a contribution to the Python forum.

jwenting
An amazing guy, he really knows his java! I have a lot of respect for him as he is not afraid to stand up for what is right and really helps people gain a greater understanding of problems they are having.

jbennet
Always eager to help, and he is great at it! He is also very fair and a great mod. And jeepers, if you are ever afraid of starting a new thread in fear of getting no replies FEAR not jbennet is here lol!

Narue
Although have not had that much exposure/contact with Narue, have always (in the event) found Narue to be polite and helpful. Narue always replies to threads with great, helpful advice. Another member who knows their stuff!

~s.o.s~

My anime buddy, sos is very knowledgeable and helpful on the software development forums. He's one of the few programmers who has earned my respect through repeated accuracy and proof of ability. sos is another moderator that I tend to rely too much on due to his awesome judgment and reliability. As a regular member, a programmer, and a moderator, this guy is definitely a role model and fits well as a mentor.

commented: Thank you so much, I wonder how I missed this thread. :) +0

Salem

I get the impression that he doesn't particularly like me (or anyone, really), but we've been together on programming forums for several years. Salem is the programming bot, because he's always right (I can count the times I've corrected him on one hand, and they were minor points) and seems to have experience with everything. Sometimes he has a short fuse, but he keeps it in check most of the time. As an ex-moderator, he spends a lot of time reporting posts that fail to use code tags. I guess that's his pet peeve. ;)

Salem is on the list of programmers who make me look like a rank beginner.

Lardmeister:
One real rebel, too smart for his age, almost scary. The 'meister' of debating with little tolerance for ignorant folks, will cut the lard out! I really enjoy his wit.

~s.o.s~ and Salem I agree with Narue on both these people. You can always count on them to provide expert opinions and advice about most every software question and have a knowledge of a wide range of languages.

WaltP is another regular whose opinions I highly respect. I don't recall him ever being wrong about anything he has ever posted. Brillient person with obviously lots of professional experience.

The Dude:
Like him a lot! We match tastes when it comes to web sites, the ones that make me smile.

It's been almost two years since this thread was started and because we have a lot of new "regulars", I thought it might be a good idea to bump this thread. The same rules still apply:

1) You're not allowed to introduce yourself.

2) You're not allowed to bash someone for an introduction you don't agree with.

3) You're allowed to add to an introduction. For example, if someone introduces Dani and forgets to mention that she's a hopeless work-a-holic, you're welcome to add that to partial introduction.

4) You're encouraged to be honest. I'm well aware that some members aren't popular, so there's no need to pretend otherwise. We want the new guys to get a realistic idea of Daniweb. Hopefully everyone can be professional enough not to get into fights because of a harsh introduction. :icon_rolleyes:

I haven't been posting a lot outside of the C++ forum lately, so the person I like to highlight is:

Jonsca

Jonsca joined in September 2009, but has already broken the 1K-post-barrier, which makes him a regular IMO. He mainly posts in the C++ forum, where he offers good advice to newbies and not-so-newbies. He's doesn't let his pride get in his way and admits when he makes a mistake.
He also likes flagging bad posts (a lot) and is always very creative in the message he sends along with flagging it :)

Wow. I'm speechless and totally honored. I'll have to return the favor:

Nick Evan:
Well what can I say a great moderator and a great guy( when he's not running over elderly men on their bikes off the road for the sake of a good story).

When I first got here I thought he was a moderator because he kept a level head and kept discussions on track (he officially became one soon after that). Like all of the great mods here he offered excellent advice too! He has too many posts to count (well over 3k) and has (according to the rollover label) "a reputation beyond repute."

One thing I don't know is how to pronounce his screen name. I tend to pronounce it like Nicky, but I suppose it could rhyme with "sneaky" or sound like "Nikkei."

Well, there's so much more I could say but I'm sure there will be many others who will sing his praises.

(as a response to one of his comments: I'm very deliberate about my bad post reporting, I know. I also figure that the top secret moderator forum must get pretty boring so I do like to provide a little entertainment with my reports--occasionally it trickles out into my non-Geeks' Lounge posts as well)

>I also figure that the top secret moderator forum must get pretty boring
It does indeed. Though there's a separate forum for reported posts, otherwise any of the legit mod threads would get lost in the mess. ;)

Vegaseat
Pretty darn cool guy. Moderator.
Very talented at python and is always there to jump in and give excellent advice on nearly any subject that pops up. He is fun in the geeks lounge and can be also seen in various other places around daniweb helping out :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.