Yeah but then again in that case it would be authorised activity for which they would allow each other to see their IP addresses. but when we are talking about illegal hacking thats when they need to find out the ip addresses without asking all nicely and decently from the host computer.

Thats what i wanted to know how do the third party tools the ones that Maulth mentioned would work to find out the ip addresses.

Raj

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I've never actually went in search for a person's IP, unless they had done something to me first, which I then used varying "third party" tools to find their IP. When I'm talking about something like ventrilo, or game servers, you can go in the console and get the person's IP. The most common way to find them is not to even bother them :P

I don't really understand the last sentence but what i make out of it was, if you do find the IP for someone then just leave it at that without messing with it. Hope I got it right.

Now not to offend you in any way or form, If I ask you to find my IP then how would you go about it. I am not even linked to any game server apart from my company server which i take it is pretty darn safe.

Raj

i know your IP. Im a moderator so i can see it. You give it to this site whenever you view it (you request the page, and it is sent to your ip for viewing)

But i was wanting to know how would a hacker go about finding out, gven that he does not have the access what you would have? You have got it easy my mate:)

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

i know your IP. Im a moderator so i can see it. You give it to this site whenever you view it (you request the page, and it is sent to your ip for viewing)

May be its not PC's IP that Website can detect of guest...Its might be ISP's Router address.

true.

nope it was the pc one that u can see fella

how can i see it.....? and how to get an ip address of any site or computer... step by step

@technogeek
I'm not going to give you step-by-step instructions on how to hack somebody, this is ONLY an informational thread, and if it turns into anything other than that, I will quit posting in it.

Usually I could get your IP via exploits in a forum board, or MySQL injection. But since I'm 100% sure there are alot more intelligent people here than me, and I would like to remain part of daniweb, I won't do it here. I'm almost certain I wouldn't be successful anyhow. MySQL injection it probably the most common way of getting someone's IP. You cannot just randomly get someone's IP, there is no magic trick, a "hacker" must rely upon lower sources of information to find his target. The problem with that nowadays is that people can mask their IP addresses easily, ex. Hide my IP (program), Proxies, ect. A forum database records IP addresses upon login, and if I were to use MySQL injection to steal the db, wouldn't be hard to get your password, IP, email, ect..

this is ONLY an informational thread, and if it turns into anything other than that, I will quit posting in it.

exactly. anything like that will lead to locking by me

I never ever intended to make this a step by step instuction booklet to hack systems, never thought to do it. As in the start of the thread I made it clear that this is supposed to be one of those threads where people could gain knowledge about defferent aspects of hacking, their consequencies/impact on victims as well as hackers. Hacking is one subject that people have not discussed about on this site. I brought it up because I dont think any IT realted organisation can function perfectly without touching up on this particular side. I never thought that this thread would have come this far but Thanks to everyone who have contributed towards this thread to make it a knowledgeable one. I wish for it to keep going on.

Now as i said i am going to come up with some wierd questions. Here they are, I know I am gonna sound quite like an idiot here, actually i m going to sound like an absolute plonka, but i'll take my chances.
You know in movies they show a lot of funky stuff, say in Die Hard 4, hope you ve seen it, Mcclane's sidekick uses phone to hack into couple of systems. How is it possible to do anything with a phone, specially when it was kind of nicked from a random guy on the street, no special software installed or anything. Fair enough he used Internet enabled phone but is it still possible for doing such with a phone.

I know it was just a movie and anything is possible in it, but in real life is it possible to do something of that magnitude. If it was I really wish that I had that kind of knowledge.

Raj

How is it possible to do anything with a phone, specially when it was kind of nicked from a random guy on the street, no special software installed or anything. Fair enough he used Internet enabled phone but is it still possible for doing such with a phone.

it was a smartphone.

My windows mobile smartphone current has installed apps for ping, traceroute, vpn, and a remote desktop/ssh client as well as a crack libary for wifi. I could probably hack with that (but i dont, i use it for my own network)

wat phone is it that u have, i got tmobile vario, good phone but never explored any of the features to see what it could do?

depends whether your is windows mobile + phone extensions, or whether its windows mobile smartphone edition. Smartphone edition is very cut down, and doesnt run the same executables.

what is the difference and how can you confirm which one is which i know for sure its Windows Mobile but which version it is I have no friggin clue. Since i ended the contract i have been using it mostly as Sat Nav thats pretty much it or play music on Media player sometimes. There are a lot of things in the settings section which i have to say i never bothered to even play around with but then again, they would need for me to have internet connection even to play around and that would have cost me an arm and a leg, so i mostly kept it simple.

does it have a touchscreen or not?

Yes its the touchscreen one with a full qwerty keyboard on the side slide.

its probably the full version then, i think smartphone version lacks touchscreen support.

i use http://www.pocketputty.net/ for accessing my linux servers from it

Right ok, maybe the phone in DH4 was smartphone. I must have been mistaken.

Here comes another dumb question related to movies, this is what i saw in The Core, if you have seen it then the character Rat does some tuning to an ordinary phone using a chewing gum rapper making some sort of high pitched noise and tells other character that he got long distance calls on the phone for free forever. How could that be possible? Is that possible to acheive on a normal phone or was it just hollywood being hollywood?

I did some research about hacking and hackers and found out about one of the guy who was jailed for using a whistle from a cereal box to make high frequency noise or something to route the calls internationally or something on that line. Dont remember all the details, but is this what was happening with the movie scenario as well? Any ideas?

Raj

the guy who was jailed for using a whistle from a cereal box to make high frequency noise or something to route the calls internationally or something on that line

yeah, the whistle which came with his captain crunch cereal made the exact same noise as a modem would.

WHAT are u talking about.......

One of the hackers used a whistle that came with a cereal box to make some long distance calls or something as the whistle made the exact same frequency noise as the phone company's voice modem would, he did end up in jail i think, or did he end up having a happily ever after. I am not entirely sure about the specifics of the whole story.

Raj

any conclusion for that/////?

conclusion: i'd say that stay away from these things, they are pretty tempting but end results are hardly pleasing.

But any input towards hacking topic is always welcome.

Raj

ok..... so hacking is bad....... is their any law that stop that?

well mostly depends on what you are hacking into and what was the purpose?

Laws are there depending on your location. A lot of countries have very strict laws against hacking. I read this article where a couple of guys were charged with stealing property. What brought the charge on them? They stole some furniture in a virtual world from another guys hotel room or something. Now if you come to see they did not do it in real life even but still got the sting. So its your perception of what you want to hack into. There are quite strict laws against hackers as they can potentially be very dangerous.

Raj

One of the hackers used a whistle that came with a cereal box to make some long distance calls or something as the whistle made the exact same frequency noise as the phone company's voice modem would, he did end up in jail i think, or did he end up having a happily ever after. I am not entirely sure about the specifics of the whole story.

Raj

I think you are referring to Kevin Mitnick, there is a myth that this guy could trigger a nuclear war by whistling into a payphone however that has never been proved. And yes he was convicted.

Ability to launch nuclear weapons by whistling into a payphone

Thanx for the info,please keep the discussion open for knowledge.
I know very little about it but back then in College some geek buddies told me I should keep it that way cos once you know it then I can find myself in real crap.....But then again knowledge was never a bad thing
So for the sake of knowledge keep it comin
Thanx guys

Well that is the main idea behind starting this thread man, lets hope it keeps going. Been quiet for a few days though. Don't want it to fade out.

I was wondering about the question about the Movie The Core where the hacker guy syncs the phone with a tone made from chewing gum wrapper and teels him that the phone is capable to make long distance calls for ever for free. ANyone with answers which could have the slightest possibility to relate to that scenario is most welcome. I was thinking it could relate to Kevin Mitnick's(^^^Thanks for the name Hammerhead^) hacking procedure.

Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.