Processed food companies spend more than $33 billion per year on advertising, nearly 70% of which goes to market snack-foods and alcohol while the GDP of Afghanistan was $35 billion.

In 2000, the USDA spent $300 million promoting the consumption of fruits and vegetables while Wrigley's spent $117 million marketing chewing gum.

Er, or at least discomfited.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

horrified? Not at all. I love to watch all those commercials :) I think its great when there is 5 minutes of TV show and 10 minutes of commercials. Damed TV stations interrupting the commercials with all those tv shows.

>>GDP of Afghanistan was $35 billion.
Even more shocking is that Bill Gates himself has more money than that, and he is only the 3d richest man in the world, there are two others with even more money.

the only thing I'm horrified about is the extremely poor quality advertising that money bought.
Makes you wonder what's going on in the advertising industry that they're producing such extremely annoying and ineffective commercials even given such massive budgets.

I guess whether or not you like a commercial is still a matter of taste. I think commercials make watching TV at least a little interesting.

hmm, then why does 90% of the audience switch channels during commercial breaks or for example browse the web (like I'm doing now)?

A prof said in a marketing class I took a looooong time ago that people remember only the 1st and last commercials. All the other commecials never stop between the ears. And I recall counting commercials -- there were nearly 20 commercials shown at one time during a late night movie. About 5 or 6 minutes of movie then 15-20 commercials.

I think its great when there is 5 minutes of TV show and 10 minutes of

we have no commercial adverts on BBC, so we get mostly uninterrupted viewing, but we have to pay for a TV licence to watch TV :(

we have no commercial adverts on BBC, so we get mostly uninterrupted viewing, but we have to pay for a TV licence to watch TV :(

Yes I found that out when I went to the UK for 3 years in the 70s. BBC was great -- but you still had other channels that had commercials. We have commercialess movie cable/sattalite channels. We get one called BBC America which shows old BBC programs with commercials.

the length of blocks of commercials is limite here by law, but channels find ways around those laws.
They just interrupt the commercials with "announcements" for their upcoming programs, which for the law ends the commercial block.
So we still get 5 minute commercial blocks every 10 minutes or so, extremely annoying.

Luckily it's not as bad as it was when the commercial channels started. At that time a 90 minute movie could have so many and lengthy commercial blocks in it that it could last up to 5 hours.

yay to no commericals! Having said that I love commericals that are a prelude to something big. They have a long timeline and when the final ad is finally featured I am usually dissapointed with the product/service.

yeah only ones on BBC are short ones to inform you what other programs are coming on.

BBC 1 and 2 and the digital BBC channels (i think there is 2 ?) have no adverts but 3,4,5 do, as do most of the digital ones.

There is also BBC3 and another one, plus all of the BBC kids telly.

Some people in the US sit in front of a turned off TV and find it more entertaining than turning it on.

If you are on cable you can always turn to the Comedy Channel. I love Jon Steward's Daily Show.

If you are on cable you can always turn to the Comedy Channel. I love Jon Steward's Daily Show.

The Daily Show is almost enough to get me to subscribe to cable - but I have resisted assimilation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.