> I believe G-d created the Universe
Which one?

The Christian G-d.

The other "gods" are just that, gods (lower g, generic). There can only be one G-d. Which One? You are asking me to compare G-d to human-created deities, ideas, apparitions.

Matty

Why do you say "G-d"?

he might be a jew

jews arent allowed to say god

Yes they can.

Why do you say "G-d"?

I am a Catholic.

Some info on "G-d":

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better. Observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it. To avoid writing the Name, Orthodox Jews (and sometimes other denominations) substitute letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God."

Regards,
Matty D.

he might be a jew

jews arent allowed to say god

Why would a Jew believe that the Christian God created the Universe?

lol

Why would a Jew believe that the Christian God created the Universe?

Because we believe that there is one and only one G-d who created the universe. Plus Jews and Christians have the Old Testament of the Bible in common.

Because we believe that there is one and only one G-d who created the universe. Plus Jews and Christians have the Old Testament of the Bible in common.

I realize it's the same God. It's just hard for me to picture a Jew choosing to use the phrase "the Christian God" when describing who created the Universe. I can't see anyone but a Christian using that particular phrase in that context.

You should make that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - these are the 3 who are tied together by Abraham and the old testament. Some think Bahai should fit in there somewhere since it is <sort of> is an off-shoot of Shi'a; but once you open that door, then you have to decide about Sufism which claims direct descent from Mohamad but different than or inclusive Shi'a and Sunni - and so on.

The 'G-d' representation threw me for a loop the first time I encountered it, which was not long ago. I, too, was under the impression that it was a mostly Jewish writing tradition. I season that with my similar curiousity to the '(pbuh)' addition elsereligion. At times I wonder why I did not have contact with such written elements earlier on.

Tangentially related to the topic was an article that recently interested me.

Tangentially related to the topic was an article that recently interested me.

Dave - that article is not even tangentially related to this topic -- but I can't help myself, I have to respond.
I only wish life in these United States was as pure and wonderful as painted in that article. Look here - I don't want to appear down on the U.S. but I really don't like Pollyanna-like belief in the purity of our side (whether or not the side is religious, political, or whatever).

People are people no matter what side they are on.

I believe both -- God created everything, how he did it was through evolution.

Yes. God planned/built all initially (energy, physics, DNA... ); within this "design" was Evolution as well, a mechanism employed to allow the creation(s) to unfold over time and become stronger, faster, better, hence more able to subsist and survive on this planet. This ensured further reproduction of said species and ongoing evolution.

Even evolution had to start with something, let's call it creation.

I want to call it Dave.

I want to call it Dave.

Very funny! :)

Even evolution had to start with something, let's call it creation.

Could be a loop, no beginning and no end.

i hear tell our Milky Way Galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy are going to collide soon.

It's going to be huge disaster.

Better get your affairs in order now.

Until a scientist proves that life can be derived from sterile [insert element(s) here], a higher power is the only explanation. Of course after the jump start of life, evolution would have had to take over.

I don't think that Adam had the time to name over 1.5 million different species. Evolution is just another one of the Lord's great creations.

Until a scientist proves that life can be derived from sterile [insert element(s) here], a higher power is the only explanation. Of course after the jump start of life, evolution would have had to take over.

But what would this "higher power" be made of and how did it come to be without another "high power"?

But what would this "higher power" be made of and how did it come to be without another "high power"?

Leaving aside what I believe, it could have been anything. Maybe man evolved on another planet and as the Sun grew or shrunk, he deposited a seed on this planet. The possibilities are endless.

> a higher power is the only explanation.
Funny, a bunch of people (well everybody really) thought at one time that say "thunder" was caused by gods. Do you still believe that?

EVERY stone of the unknown which has ever been turned over to reveal knowledge about something has found no "god" hiding underneath it.

When the biogenesis process is understood as well, there won't be a god there either, and your "god of the gaps" will have to find some other stone to crawl under.

Your "We don't know, therefore god-did-it" is just faulty logic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

> a higher power is the only explanation.
Funny, a bunch of people (well everybody really) thought at one time that say "thunder" was caused by gods. Do you still believe that?

EVERY stone of the unknown which has ever been turned over to reveal knowledge about something has found no "god" hiding underneath it.

When the biogenesis process is understood as well, there won't be a god there either, and your "god of the gaps" will have to find some other stone to crawl under.

Your "We don't know, therefore god-did-it" is just faulty logic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Actually, I am open to any possibility. I just choose to go with my heart rather than my mind. On the other hand though, you seem to know everything, maybe you created life on earth and are just too shy to say anything.

commented: There's no need to be rude. -2
commented: typical dumb statements by people who run out of facts to discuss. -2

VI works on everything, twomers. It's omnipotent.

The editor of the Beast: VI VI VI (I never get tired of that joke but hardly anyone has heard of VI (dang noobs).

commented: :D +34

Actually, I am open to any possibility. I just choose to go with my heart rather than my mind. On the other hand though, you seem to know everything, maybe you created life on earth and are just too shy to say anything.

No, maybe we learn from the history of science. Science is not w/o heart - is relegion w/o mind?

No, maybe we learn from the history of science. Science is not w/o heart - is relegion w/o mind?

You are correct sir, science certainly is not w/o heart and religion is likely w/o mind, but let me ask you this? What would cause a man to go through great lengths, even death or torture, to stand for what he/she believes in. In history, many of the great scientists changed their public hypotheses when challenged by the old Roman Catholic church. Certainly, a man would not want to die or be tortured just to prove that he/she is right. On the other hand, many Christians would rather die, or worse, than to do the same. What could possibly cause someone to do this, I would say much more than just a "fill-in-the-gaps" religion. Something has touched that person's heart, something obviously beyond my understanding and possibly yours as well. I believe that there is a bit more to it than "Salem" allows.

What Christianity lacks in mind, it makes up for in heart.

commented: No, your church (like all the other faith-heads) can only "win" the argument by threatening people with pain/suffering/death, because it knows no other way. -7
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.