Hey,

I'm currently working for a bookmaker/gambling company and every day we send out specific list to newspapers with 50-60 odds for their sport pages that our odds compilers have put out. The problem is that we need to do this manually in order to get the 'same odds at the same "place" as all other bookmakers'.

I thought that there must be a better and more functional way to do this, and I instantly thought about these extract-programs that exists (we get this information through a browser).

What I'm essentially is trying to do is to take out one specific word, for an example "Manchester United" (and their odds, ex. "1.10 3.70 15.00") and match that with the same word "Manchester United" (with other odds, ex. 1.90 3.50 13.00). Don't know if this make any sense to you.

For an example look at this site: http://svenskaspel.se/pl.aspx?PageID=781&menuid=3&parentid=4373

Thank you,

Robin

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

Hey,

I'm currently working for a bookmaker/gambling company and every day we send out specific list to newspapers with 50-60 odds for their sport pages that our odds compilers have put out. The problem is that we need to do this manually in order to get the 'same odds at the same "place" as all other bookmakers'.

I thought that there must be a better and more functional way to do this, and I instantly thought about these extract-programs that exists (we get this information through a browser).

What I'm essentially is trying to do is to take out one specific word, for an example "Manchester United" (and their odds, ex. "1.10 3.70 15.00") and match that with the same word "Manchester United" (with other odds, ex. 1.90 3.50 13.00). Don't know if this make any sense to you.

For an example look at this site: http://svenskaspel.se/pl.aspx?PageID=781&menuid=3&parentid=4373

Thank you,

Robin

Not sure if you are in the right forum or what the right forum would be for this post. If you know which programming language you want to implement this in, you could post in the Software Development section of that programming language. Not sure if I understand 100% what you would like to do, but it sounds like you want to search documents for certain types of character patterns and pluck those strings out in order to process them further, in which case Regular Expressions could come in handy, I would imagine. What the exact implementation of the regular expressions would be would depend on what programming language you intend to write this in (you are writing a program, correct?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expressions

AD - you are a mod - can't you move this thread to somewhere more appropriate?

Not sure if you are in the right forum or what the right forum would be for this post. If you know which programming language you want to implement this in, you could post in the Software Development section of that programming language. Not sure if I understand 100% what you would like to do, but it sounds like you want to search documents for certain types of character patterns and pluck those strings out in order to process them further, in which case Regular Expressions could come in handy, I would imagine. What the exact implementation of the regular expressions would be would depend on what programming language you intend to write this in (you are writing a program, correct?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expressions

I'm searching more for a program.

I'm searching more for a program.

Well, there are all sorts of programs out there that use regular expressions. There are libraries that help people who WRITE programs and there are programs that you can use if you are NOT a programmer. They'll help you design the regular expression you need according to your criteria and will implement the search for you. Just type "regular expressions software" into a search engine.

AD - you are a mod - can't you move this thread to somewhere more appropriate?

I agree but we don't really have a better place for this.

Someone that know about any of these programs?

doing that is likely a violation of the terms of service of the websites you're going to be leeching the information from.
Try instead to get the data in a legitimate fashion. Most brokers of information (iow, the people those websites BUY the information from) are going to have web services or other APIs to retrieve the data.
You can buy access to those services, which allows you to retrieve the information with specified delays and specifically that data which you subscribe to.

I agree but we don't really have a better place for this.

Yeah, then later he started whinging about actually having to do something to earn the data - maybe we should just flag it inappropriate - like Jwenting was thinking.

No, it's not since we essencially only want our own data (our own odds). I don't know if you understand what I mean, but what I'm basically is trying to do is to get the games (that we, as well as all other bookmakers) in the same order (since we have it in another order) as Svenska Spel has, since all the newspapers demand that we have our odds in the same order as they have.

I'm not trying to steal anything, just get the information in the right order to speed up our work. We usually do this manually.

Try to Google it, but I couldn't find any good program.

GrimJack: I'm not whining about anything, I just thought that somebody would know any program like this..

we know full well what you want, and it's something we're not going to provide you with as it's unethical and quite likely illegal.

GrimJack: I'm not whining about anything, I just thought that somebody would know any program like this..

You should be able to dl the data from the newspaper's website, read it, replace their odds with yours and send it back to them for inclusion (understanding that where they keep their data is different that where they want you to send yours). Seems pretty straight forward but what do I know.

Kid wants to STEAL the data from newspapers for his own website...

jwenting:

I think it's quite fascinating (and a bit funny :)) how ignorant you are since you obviously haven't read and understood what I was writing.

I'm not trying to steal anyone else's odds, only get our (not mine in particular) odds in the correct order.

For an exampel, if you have odds A B and C, and would like to have them in the order B A and C instead - it's the same information, just in another order.

I understand full well what you want, and that's to steal information.
That's what you claimed to want at first, and only after people said they weren't going to help you do that did you pipe down and start claiming you only want to "get your data in the right order".

So what is the information that I'm stealing then?

I'm stunned how ignorant you are., that was what I wrote in the first post.

It's not the ODDS itself I'm looking for, just the specific order.

that's not what you were stating... You said you want to match your odds with those of others, which means you want to compare them and probably republish them.

Yes, it was. To prove you wrong I quote myself. Personally I think you're illiterate.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.