the only "coding tool" you need is VI, and maybe a commandline compiler.

Probably the most relaxed coding I've ever done was in a lounge chair at the poolside, sipping a cold drink with one hand while writing code in pencil on paper with the other.

talk of relaxing...that is the way to go :)

yeah, backward. (I'd say back in time, but I'm not sure if there was ever a time when this was common place)

No. Writing software code on paper is not only cumbersome, but it's error prone and time consuming (you still have to feed it into a compiler/interpreter) and unless you have some magic ocr, that means typing it.

But yeah, I guess that would be relaxing.

Probably the most relaxed coding I've ever done was in a lounge chair at the poolside, sipping a cold drink with one hand while writing code in pencil on paper with the other.

I tried something like that ONCE -- the next day, after the hangover, I had to burn everything I did because it was nothing but a bunch of crap.

Morale: don't drink and code.

The best way for me to relax and code is loud music...it oddly enough makes me concentrate even more...I guess it really doesn't distract me...

Sometimes it is good to take a breather!
The body can only handle so much..heh.
:)

I tried something like that ONCE -- the next day, after the hangover, I had to burn everything I did because it was nothing but a bunch of crap.

Morale: don't drink and code.

where did I say it was an alcoholic drink?

Well i just thought of something..piano!! a laptop against a piano. Code and play some crappy music..(dont think there are good pianists here :) ) well are there any??:-/

I play a mean guitar. Everyone runs away when they hear me playing...

Listening to the music when you are coding is just a choice. You can just do coding only.

Listening to the music when you are coding is just a choice. You can just do coding only.

Who would want to code without taking a break?

In this order (ordered by difficulty of problem to be tackled) -- do nothing out of ordinary, music, tea, coffee, beer, Irish coffee, straight whiskey. Normally do a linear iteration through the set and stop when the relaxing method meets the challenge.

In this order (ordered by difficulty of problem to be tackled) -- do nothing out of ordinary, music, tea, coffee, beer, Irish coffee, straight whiskey. Normally do a linear iteration through the set and stop when the relaxing method meets the challenge.

Or when you pass out :P

But how can I pass out when there's a challenge to be met? Talk about ethics!

It's just an extended break ("relaxation") until you can begin another cycle as described :)

commented: The vicious... I mean beautiful circle! +6

About one minute of deep belly breathing takes a lot of tension out of your system, You can play some relaxation video at http://www.relaxwithnature.com during this minute or two.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.