the only "coding tool" you need is VI, and maybe a commandline compiler.

Probably the most relaxed coding I've ever done was in a lounge chair at the poolside, sipping a cold drink with one hand while writing code in pencil on paper with the other.

talk of relaxing...that is the way to go :)

yeah, backward. (I'd say back in time, but I'm not sure if there was ever a time when this was common place)

No. Writing software code on paper is not only cumbersome, but it's error prone and time consuming (you still have to feed it into a compiler/interpreter) and unless you have some magic ocr, that means typing it.

But yeah, I guess that would be relaxing.

Probably the most relaxed coding I've ever done was in a lounge chair at the poolside, sipping a cold drink with one hand while writing code in pencil on paper with the other.

I tried something like that ONCE -- the next day, after the hangover, I had to burn everything I did because it was nothing but a bunch of crap.

Morale: don't drink and code.

The best way for me to relax and code is loud music...it oddly enough makes me concentrate even more...I guess it really doesn't distract me...

I tried something like that ONCE -- the next day, after the hangover, I had to burn everything I did because it was nothing but a bunch of crap.

Morale: don't drink and code.

where did I say it was an alcoholic drink?

Well i just thought of something..piano!! a laptop against a piano. Code and play some crappy music..(dont think there are good pianists here :) ) well are there any??:-/

Listening to the music when you are coding is just a choice. You can just do coding only.

Listening to the music when you are coding is just a choice. You can just do coding only.

Who would want to code without taking a break?

In this order (ordered by difficulty of problem to be tackled) -- do nothing out of ordinary, music, tea, coffee, beer, Irish coffee, straight whiskey. Normally do a linear iteration through the set and stop when the relaxing method meets the challenge.

In this order (ordered by difficulty of problem to be tackled) -- do nothing out of ordinary, music, tea, coffee, beer, Irish coffee, straight whiskey. Normally do a linear iteration through the set and stop when the relaxing method meets the challenge.

Or when you pass out :P

It's just an extended break ("relaxation") until you can begin another cycle as described :)

Votes + Comments
The vicious... I mean beautiful circle!
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.