Hi,

When talking with Dani this past week or so on ICQ, I found out that on the East Coast, where she lives, they do a lot of eating out, and not much cooking. As the conversation unfolded, I found out that Dani hasn't cooked much at all, and decided that she should learn a few dishes in order to try and learn how to cook. In this thread, I would like to have the community pass along serious, delicious things to make.

Cooking, after all, is science. It is eatible chemistry.

So to start it off, I'll write about Brown House Burgers. This is a hamburger that my roommate Brian and I started making back in college around 1993. We enjoyed cooking, I would grill on the Webber (charcoal) and he would make something inside to go with it. Always ate well.

To make Brown House Burgers, you need about a pound and a half of lean hamburger -- want it to be 85 - 95 percent lean, but not the leanest stuff, or the burger will fall apart on the grill. You also want more than 80 or so, or the grease from the meat will start a fireball in your grill.

You want to have an egg, some Lawery's seasoning, a can of mushrooms, and a bottle of Southern Comfort (this is liquer, and if you are < 21, there is risk). You will also want a handful of potato chips. We used Baked Lays.

First, take the can of mushrooms, and put them on a chopping board. Cut them into small pieces, and place them in a mixing bowl. Take the meat and put it also in the mixing bowl. Add a sprinkle of Lawrey's, and a shot of Southern Comfort. Take the potato chips, and crush them into little pieces, and put that into the bowl as well. Crack the egg, and put that in there too.

Mix the meat and fixings together in the bowl. Have your buddy start the grill, and warm it to a medium temp. You do not need to cook everything on HI. Take the mixed meat, and pound out the hamburgers. We would make 4 large hamburgers per 1.5 lbs of meat.

Cook the hamburgers about 7 minutes a side, assuming you are on medium heat, and a standard grill. Use the cover to keep the tops warm. Just before removing the hamburgers on the 14th minute, use the spateula to squeeze down the meat, and push any extra grease wanting to leave out. Do not try to flatten the burgers, just stress them a bit to make them healthier. Cheese? Put some on the top, and cover the grill for 30 - 40 seconds for the cheese to melt.

Serve with a bun.

Recommended Answers

All 158 Replies

Somen noodles, the easiest breakfast you'll ever cook.

1 bundle of somen
6 cups of water
1 tablespoon of salt

Boil the water, pour in the salt, toss in the somen, cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. It's good plain or with all manner of sauces and garnish. :)

Hot Fudge Sauce

Well, Naru contributed breakfast, Kc dinner. Here's dessert....

class AHotFudgeSauce : public ARecipe
{
protected:
    // ingredients
    EvaporatedMilk    m_milk;    // NOT sweetened condensed
    Sugar                m_sugar;
    Chocolate          m_chocolate;
    Vanilla               m_vanilla;
    Salt                  m_salt;
    Butter               m_butter;

public: // although, private might be the way to keep your friends coming back for more!
    AHotFudgeSauce()
    {
        m_milk.SetQuantity( 1, eCan );    // one can of milk
        m_sugar.SetQuantity( 2, eCups );  // two cups sugar
        m_chocolate.SetQuantity( 4, eOz ); // four ounces
        m_chocolate.SetType( eBakers ); // of bakers chocolate
        m_vanilla.SetQuantity( 2, eTsp ); // two tsp vanilla
        m_salt.SetQuantity( 1, eTsp );  // one tsp salt
        m_butter.SetQuantity( 4, eOz ); // half a stick
    }

virtual bool Make()
    {
        APot    pot( eHighSides );    // The mixture increases 10x in volume while boiling!

pot.Add( m_milk );
        pot.Add( m_sugar );

pot.Heat( eToBoil, eStirFrequently );

// Simmer 1 minute
        time_t startTime = time(NULL);
        while ((time(NULL) - startTime) < 60)
            pot.Heat( eSimmer, eStirConstantly );

// Now we add the bakers chocolate into the pot, which has
            // just been boiling, but we take it off the heat first or the
            // chocolate can scorch.  If it doesn't disolve completely,
            // you may need to reheat it a bit until it is smooth
        pot.Heat( eOffHeat );
        pot.Add( m_chocolate );
        while (!m_chocolate.Disolved())
            pot.Stir();

pot.Add( m_salt );
        pot.Add( m_vanilla );
        pot.Add( m_butter );
        while (!m_butter.Disolved())
            pot.Stir();

return true;        
    }
};
commented: Best Recipe Ever! Love the format, thanks a lot! +1
commented: hehe nicely programmed! Like the part about exceptions :) +3

Don't try running that recipe over a daylight-savings change, you'll either not make it thick enough or burn down the house. If you compile with exceptions on, the pot should throw an exception when it boils dry, but you'll still have a stinky mess on your hands!

Somen noodles, the easiest breakfast you'll ever cook.

1 bundle of somen
6 cups of water
1 tablespoon of salt

Boil the water, pour in the salt, toss in the somen, cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. It's good plain or with all manner of sauces and garnish. :)

Sounds yummy! Say, what type of sauces would you recommend with that?

>Say, what type of sauces would you recommend with that?
Soya is good (and my usual choice because it's also dead easy), so is teriyaki, but if you have the means, I highly recommend using miso soup as a broth. :) I usually like runny sauces for this purpose, but I don't see why something like sweet and sour sauce or just about anything (barbecue? ;)) wouldn't work well.

Oh this is cute you guys ;)

>Say, what type of sauces would you recommend with that?
Soya is good (and my usual choice because it's also dead easy), so is teriyaki, but if you have the means, I highly recommend using miso soup as a broth. :) I usually like runny sauces for this purpose, but I don't see why something like sweet and sour sauce or just about anything (barbecue? ;)) wouldn't work well.

WOW. I'm better at food than I thought!

As soon as I saw this, I thought, "Boy, that sounds like it'd go great with Miso!"

I'M HUNGRY!

Here's some from another forum, where we started an 'Incompetent Teen's Cookbook' for Gamers!

SUSHI!

Basic Sushi Recipe Ingredients:

Bamboo mat (maki-su) - to make sushi rolls
Rice Paddle or large flat plastic spoon

3 1/3 cups of uncooked rice - use only a high quality medium grain white calrose rice (ie: Nishiki or Kohaku)

4 cups of water

5 Tbs. + 1 tsp. of rice vinegar (or white vinegar will also work)

5 Tbs. of sugar

1 tsp. of salt

1 package of sushi nori

soy sauce & wasabi

Sushi roll filling ingredients:

1 cucumber (peeled, seeded and sliced into strips)

2 TBS of thin sliced red ginger in red brine liquid (sold in jars, pre-sliced, in the refrigerated section)

1 pkg. of gobo tempura - Yamasa fried fish cake w/burdock (refrigerated section - there are many varieties)

1 pkg. of kampyo (dried gourd)

1 small pkg. of takuan (pickled radish - bright yellow in color, refridg. section)

2 eggs cooked to thin omelet style

The flavor of sushi rice varies somewhat with the seasons. In summer a little more vinegar is used. Adjust the flavor of the rice and sugar amount as you like.

Cook rice (I use a rice maker, because it comes out perfect every time)
If you don't have a rice maker try this or follow directions on your rice bag:
Use a heavy bottom medium size pot , add rice and water. Cover and heat over medium boil for 2 minutes, turn down the heat to medium and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to very low and cook for 15 minutes or till water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and let stand on burner, with pot lid wrapped in a kitchen towel for 10-15 minutes.

Vinegar sushi dressing: Dissolve the sugar and salt in the vinegar over low heat. Force cool to room temperature by placing the bowl of ingredients in a bath of water and ice.

Toss the rice with a rice paddle by spreading a thin layer in a wide shallow plastic or wooden cutting board. Do not use any metal because the vinegar reacts with it causing a disturbing taste. Toss with horizontal, cutting strokes. While tossing, slightly sprinkle vinegar dressing over the rice. You may not have to use all the vinegar dressing. Don't add too much or it will get mushy. At the same time use a hand fan or paper to cool the rice. To keep the vinegar rice from drying out, place it in a container and cover it with a damp cloth. Vinegared rice should be eaten the same day it is made!

Place the dried gourd into a bowl of warm water to dehydrate (10-15 min.) Meanwhile remove the outer cucumber skin and seeds (by running your thumb down the middle). Slice the cucumber, gobo tempura and takuan (pickled radish) into rectangular strips. Place the cucumber strips in a bowl, lightly sprinkle with salt, squeeze and toss to distribute salt throughout. Once the gourd strips have softened, place into a sauce pan with 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Heat uncovered over medium heat till the gourd turns brown soaking up the liquid. Place all the strips of ingredients on a plate or cutting board.

Lay your bamboo mat on a cutting board with bamboo strips going horizontally from you. Toast the nori sheets by passing the shiny side over your stove burner (it will turn color - takes only a few seconds).

Place one sheet of nori on the bamboo mat. Spread 2-3 TBS of rice on 3/4 of the nori - leaving 1-2" with no rice at the ends. In the center of the spread rice place all the strips of the filling ingredients. Lift the bamboo mat and roll once to make a long sushi log - slightly squeeze along entire roll. Slightly lift the bamboo mat and roll again till you get to the end of the nori sheet. The roll should be nice and tight with ingredients directly in the center. Using a sharp knife slice the sushi log into 1 1/2" rolls, place flat on a plate. Serve with dipping sauce - soy sauce and wasabi.

Want to kid yourself you're livin' healthy and have some salad with your snags? Try this one.

Grab a handful of 'button' mushrooms and a couple of small zucchini from the veges section at the supermarket. Grab a bottle of French or Italian salad dressing as well.

Wash the mushrroms and zucchini, slice 'em paper thin, and toss 'em in the salad dressing.

That's it! Tastes good!

Righto! Here's the "Fast becoming Competent Teen's Kitchen"

Next time you're down the supermarket, grab a large sized microwave 'Rice Cooker' - best thing you can cook in if you have a microwave, and every gamer should have one of those!

Grab a set of nylon or wooden utensils as well.

Go without the next game, and get yourself a decent electic wok. They're about $80 to $100, and you can cook anything in them.

A decent knife, and that's it!

Oh! No it isn't! You'll need a set of plastic measuring cups, so you can get it right for those packs of 'Pasta & Sauce" or "Rices of the World"!

Here's how to do rice, by the way. One cup of rice in the rice cooker. Wash it first if you want, and use Basmati rice please. All other varieties are crap!

A tiny dribble of oil in the rice, shake it around, zap it on high for 1 minute, add 2 cups of boiling water, put the lid on, cook on high for 8 minutes.

Perfect rice!

ok people heres how u make this dead easy risotto, only takes about 20 mins to make and its bloody nice

you need:
180grams arborio rice
4 rashers bacon
2 tomatoes
1 large zucchini
tablespoon of butter
1 large onion
teaspoon garlic (minced is easier)
6tsp of chicken stock powder
4cups water
saucepan

what you do is:

1) fry the onions, garlic and bacon in the garlic and butter for about 2 minutes.

2) chop the zucchini and mix that and the rice into the pan you're cooking in. make sure you stir constantly to avoid burning for 2 minutes then pour the chicken stock liquid in and bring to the boil

3) turn down the heat once the pan is boiling so it reaches a simmer, then cover the pan and leave for 15 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the liquid. then chop the tomatoes, add them and mix through.

this recipe also works well if you use roast chicken and cheese instead of bacon and tomato, but you have to mix leftover roast chicken (pulled apart) and nice parmesan at the end when you would add the tomatoes.

Eggs Ala Disco

What you need:

- Eggs
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Spring Onions.

Chop up the spring onions, and crack some eggs into a frying pan. Add a couple of splashes of sweet chilli sauce, and the spring onions. Scramble the eggs like normal.

When it looks ready, it means it is. You'll have a nice treat in no time

Grishnahk's Sunday scrambled eggs:

3 eggs
Whipped cream, to taste (about 3-4 tablespoons, milk will do if you don't have cream)
salt, pepper
Chilli flakes, or nutmeg if you're a wuss
shredded ham

Put everything in a mixing bowl and beat with a fork, for about a minute at the longest, you're not making a pavlova. Don't skimp on those chilli flakes.

Pour into a hot pan at just above medium. DON'T put into a cold pan and wait for it to heat, it'll turn out crap. As soon as you put it in, start gently pushing the mixture in from the sides, allowing the uncooked egg to fall around. Keep doing this until the entire mixture is almost done, then turn off the heat, fold the scrambled eggs, and let cook nicely with just the pan heat. You don't want them dry and overcooked, just nice and fluffy. A rough guide is that the scrambled eggs should only take about twenty more seconds to cook than for the toast to pop up, on medium.

----------------------------

Super Protein feast chinese-style sweet chicken and corn soup

1 whole cooked chicken, meat shredded off.
1 onion
3-4 eggs
Spring onions, bunch
2 tins creamed corn
Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce (man, this sauce is THE BEST)
2 cups chicken stock

Fry the onion in a large saucepan until brown. Add the chicken stock and creamed corn and put heat on high to boil.

Crack your eggs in a large glass and beat lightly. As the soup boils, stir in a constant circular motion with your left while you SLOWLY add the eggs in a small stream with the right. The eggs will cook the second they hit the soup and you'll get that authentic streaky effect, like noodles. Turn the soup down to a simmer when done.

Add all of the chicken meat and mix. Add liberal doses of the chilli sauce, don't skimp on it. Finally, add the finely chopped spring onions and serve. Tastes bloody fantastic, and has heaps of protein in it for post-workout goodness.

This one is called "Willy's dad"

We used to get real drunk and sleep in my mates shed, which was alot more like his room away from rooms. Anyway most mornings his old man would make us this, the only problem was that if we wanted it we'd have to get up. It was usually worth it, and it became a student staple.

-You need freshish potatoes, cause old ones'll stick to the pan.
-Get some oil and butter, chuck a diced clove of garlic in it if you've got it.
-Chuck about 1 diced onion per 2 people in the oil, seal a bit
-Chuck about 2 medium potatoes (diced into 1 cm cubes) per person into the oil and onion and cook until potatos are golden brown. Medium High heat. Not smoking. Peanut oil is good, since it has a higher boiling point than many, but it don't matter that much. You'll need a healthy amount of oil or the tater's just won't get that yummyness. (drain abit late if you're worried) Turn here and there.
-While cooking, break about 2 eggs per person and one for the mix into a bowl and whisk with a fork just to break it up well. Some dried parsley (fresh if you have it) and anything else not too obtrusive to eggs can be added here.
-pour on cooked eggs and move around gently until cooked.
-Plenty of salt and pepper
-on toast
-Drink coffee and orange and mango juice if you have it

Protein
Carbohydrate
Oil
Caffeine
Vitamin C

I know this aint a hangover cure thread, but this is pure student stuff. If you were to use it as hang over material however, then what more could you want besides a Vitamin B?

Greek Meat Triangles

2 Tablespoons of Oil
4 Sprigs of Spring Onion, Finely Chopped
500g Beef Mince
5 Sprigs of Parsley, Chopped
1 Tablespoon of Mint
1 Tablespoon of Dill
1/2 Cup of Tomato Sauce
1/2 Cup of Parmesan Cheese
1 Egg
About 10 Sheets of Filo Pastry

Heat the the oil in a saucepan.
Add your Spring Onion and saute.
Add your Meat and fry untill brown.
Stir in your Parsley, Mint, Dill and Tomato Sauce.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Cool, then add your Parmesan Cheese and your Egg.
Then get 1 Sheet of your Filo Pastry and brush it lighty with oil and then Fold in half length ways then brush some more oil on to it. Repeat this step untill you have no more Pastry left.
Then get some of your Meat Mixture and spoon some on to the Pastry and then fold into a Triangle. Repeat this process untill you have no more of the meat mixture left.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or untill golden.

Or of course, you could try this quick 'n' easy if you've got a mate or a chick around and you want to impress.

Greek Pasta with Prawns

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves of garlic chopped
500g uncooked prawns (peeled, deveined)
1 1/2 cups drained canned artichoke hearts (chopped)
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
fresh parsley, oregano
500g angel hair pasta or linguine.

METHOD
Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Add prawns and saute until almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add artichokes, feta, tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley and oregano and saute until shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer pasta to large bowl. Add shrimp mixture to pasta and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper if needed and serve.

(Shamelessly stolen from the web, by the way. I couldn't be stuffed typing it out!)

Pogues Bum Burner Stew (vindaloo)

2 huge onions (or more small ones) Sliced
5 cloves garlic (dont use jarred stuff)
2" ginger grated (can use jar)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tsp cumin seed
2 teaspoons coriander
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp very hot chilli powder
1 tsp freshly ground peppercorns
8 cloves
1" cinnamon
1 tsp fennugreek seed
1 black cardamon 2 green
1 tsp mustard seeds
tin of diced tomatoes
salt to taste
water
1/2 cup vinegar
fair bit of oil or butter (can be skimmed off later)
meat of your choice

fry onion garlic ginger and whole spices in oil, for at least 15 mins, dont burn. (add meat, beef, lamb or pork and brown) Add rest of spices cook for 2 mins add tomatoes drained cook for another couple of mins add water and vinegar to make sauce. add meat(chicken) simmer till meat is tender. Serve with basmatti rice corriander leaves, onion salad, and chappatis or similar flat bread. feeds heaps

Credit to PCPowerplay Forums, where I just stole those from!

http://forums.pcpowerplay.com.au/index.php

(I'm pretty well known there, so I reckon I'll get away with it. Anyway, a few of those were mine to start with! ;))

- GREEZY CHICKEN TACOS -

Ingredients (makes 5 Greezy Tacos):

1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1 Head of Lettuce
1 Tomato
1/2 Cup of ShreddedSharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 Cup Corn Oil
5 Corn Torillas (add two if you never made this before to practice with)

Procedure:

1. Chop the tomatoes and rip up the lettuce.

2. Bring water to boil and toss in the Chicken Breast and leave there for about 20-30 minutes.

When Chicken Breast is done, rip it into little pieces, but not crumbs.

3. Put the corn oil in a frying pan while you warm up the tortillas in the microwave or on the stove.

4. Put the shreds of Chicken Breast into the warmed torilla and fold like a regular taco. Then place into the GREEZE. Let it sit for about 20 seconds and roll it on the other side. Leave for another 20 seconds. Then, flip twice more for 20 seconds each.

5. Take out the GREEZY TACO and fill with the lettuce, tomatoes and cheese.

6. Follow steps 4 and 5 untill all tacos have been prepared.

7. Add a green jalapeno for extra flavor.

8. Might want to let the GREEZE drip out of the taco first. :)

Alcides.

by way of a change of taste steam fresh beans, zucchini, squash and such vegetables in chicken stock and serve hot with a knob of butter on top. you can also boil your rice in chicken stock it really gives it a boost. again no water, poach your eggs in little chicken stock and sprinkle the yolk with a pinch of red paprika, a french stick and butter make breakfast a bit different.

Whats up folks, all on a diet or just off your tucker at the moment ?.

OK, here's a quick 'n' easy I invented the other night, using boned, skinless chicken thighs for a cheap but wholesome meat source.

500g chicken thighs
500g spiral pasta
large tin or jar of creamy mushroom casserole sauce.
Note: dunno if you have 'Chicken Tonight' in stores where you live, but that style of ready to use sauce is ideal
Bunch of baby bok choy, singapore bok choy or other oriental greens of your choice
Extra virgin olive oil
Note: Try to avoid using other oils for cooking if you actually like your body!

1. Chop the chicken meat into cubes and thinly slice the greens
2. Set a large saucepan of water to boil on the burner, and add a dollop of olive oil so the pasta doesn't stick while it's cooking.
3. Cook the chicken meat over hight heat in a pan or preferably a wok (eltric woks are a kitchen essential IMO). Stir constantly until the meat is browned to seal.
4. Add the greens an stir for a minute.
5. Add the sauce, bring to the boil and turn down to a slow simmer.
6. By this time the water should be boiling so add the pasta, bring to the boil, and turn down to simmer until cooked to your desired level.
7. When the pasta is cokked, drain it, rinse and then add it to the pan. Stir it through and allow it to simmer further for a minute or two before serving.
8. Garnish with some finely sliced red chilli and whole coriander leaves.

Easy, quick, looks flash and tastes wonderful! :D

Note: the amounts of ingredients mentioned make a full meal for several people.

Sounds yummy! Say, what type of sauces would you recommend with that?

Sauce? Sauce is advanced cooking, not introductory stuff :mrgreen:

I must admit I've not done much real cooking lately. Living alone and getting home quite late from work most days doesn't invite cooking, so I just slap some stuff in the frying pan or in the oven and hope most days :rolleyes:

But most days I do manage to avoid the microwave...

Woooooo, I got my special, Cheesy Alfredo, get some alfredo from Olive Garden, and put Yellow American cheese, mmmmmmmmmm, BRB, gotta make a drive.

Here's another. This'n makes a tasty and filling snack.

2 eggs per person
Same volume of grated cheese (Tasty cheddar works best)
Self-raising flour
Herbs and spices to taste. (I like to use hot paprika and dried oregano, but use what works for you!)

Whisk the eggs, cheese, herbs and spices in a mixing bowl until they're well blended together, then add the flour slowly until you have a mixture that will still pour but only just.

Pre-heat a heavy pan, melt butter or margarine, pour in all the mixture and cook over slow heat. When the underside is cooked enough to lift it, turn the loaf and continue cooking until it's cooked through. The loaf should rise to about twice its initial size.

Serve warm.

This can be cooked in a suitable loaf tin in the oven as well, of course, but it works best in a heavy pan on the stove top.

heh heh...
I've a large, heavy old cast-iron pan that I 'rescued' years ago from an old derelict house that pigs were running through. It's one of the prized parts of my kitchen, and has been for years!

heh heh...
I've a large, heavy old cast-iron pan that I 'rescued' years ago from an old derelict house that pigs were running through. It's one of the prized parts of my kitchen, and has been for years!

I have the ones that Grandma brought from Sweden in 1913!

Caribbean Chicken Soup with Bananas

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, then sliced
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
6 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 (49 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
3/4 cup converted white rice
Caribbean Spice Mix (recipe follows)
2 cups cooked chicken or turkey breast strips (about 1/2 pound)
3 bananas, thinly sliced
Preparation
In a 6-quart electric slow cooker, combine the onion, carrots, green and red pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, stock, corn, rice, and spice mix. Stir to blend well.

Cover and cook on the low heat setting 6 to 7 hours, or until the rice is tender. Stir in the chicken or turkey. To serve, add almost one-half banana to each soup bowl. Ladle the soup over the bananas and serve at once.

Caribbean Spice Mix: In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1-1/2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon Madras curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled, and a pinch of cayenne.]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/Catchow/Smilies/dance/manynanas.gif[/IMG]

Topramen boil water, pour water, break up noodles, add noodles to the water, let sit, for flavoring and the flavoring ***be sure to remove all packaging.

Use that microwave for this recipe.

ORIENTAL CHICKEN WINGS

8-10 chicken wings
1/3 c. soy sauce
1 c. fine cracker crumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. ground pepper

Cut wings in half, discard tips. Rinse; pat dry with paper towels. Pour soy sauce into shallow bowl, set aside. In another shallow bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Dip chicken in soy sauce; roll in seasoned crumbs, coating evenly. Arrange chicken wings, skin side up in spoke pattern in 9 inch round glass pie plate, placing thickest portion toward outside of plate. Cover with paper towels. Use high-cycle and cook 13-15 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Serve hot.

Hello,

This is wonderful folks! :) Looks like we have some good things going here. I'll add another grilling recipie: Pork Tenderloin

Pork Tenderloin (PTL) is just like beef, however, it is white meat, and you have to cook it through in order to avoid problems (chicken has to be cooked through too). PTL, depending on the size, can serve 2 - 3 people per loin, and here in Wisconsin at least, it is much more affordable.

If you have a BW3's around (http://www.buffalowildwings.com/index2.asp) and you like your pork with some ZAZZ, go and get a bottle of their Smoky Southwestern sauce. It has a nice kick, and gives complementary taste to the pork. Have some Ranch around, just as if it was a chicken wing.

I like to use a little bit of Lawrey's seasoning, or sometimes some Garlic powder. Don't get to crazy with salts though.

Light the grill, and put it on low to medium heat. Pork has to be cooked completely, and if the grill is too hot, it will start to burn the outer edges. Let the grill warm up. Place the PTL onto the grill, and cook it for 25 - 30 minutes, depending on heat and size. You will want to "flip" it every 5 - 7 minutes or so. As the meat cooks, it will become less "squishy" and more solid of a slice. Cook with the cover on.

A few minutes before removing, and after the last flip, apply your sauce. Be careful not to spill it onto the grill... that is just more to clean up. Let the sauce work into the meat for a few minutes before removing.

Cut the PTL, and let it sit for 30 or so seconds. If you see any blood, place the slice back onto the grill. Remember that pork needs to be cooked through.

Serve the PTL with ranch dressing, and veggies. I would usually go with corn or green beens. Fries or mashed potatos will work nice too. If you want to have it sandwhich style, you can shread it, and serve with a bun.

Christian

I love Chicken Corn Soup so I thought I'd better write the receipe here :
Ingredients

1 litre chicken stock
1/4 cup corn flour
1\2 cup cream of corn
1\2 cup minced chicken
1\4 cup soy sauce
1\4 cup vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. Ajinomoto (Mono sodium glutamate)
1 egg white, beaten

Instructions

Bring the stock to boil. Stirring constantly, add minced chicken and cream of corn. Cook for few minutes. Add salt, pepper, ajinomoto and vinegar and cook for few more minutes.
Dissolve corn flour in enough water to make thick paste. Stirring constantly, add corn flour paste into the soup. Cook for 3-5 minutes.This will thicken the soup.
Add egg white slowly, stirring all the time, until the egg white is cooked through.

Enjoy your chicken corn soup. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Since nobody is paying attention to this thread, I thought I´d add an old favorite for camping: Hunter´s stew (you don´t have to be a hunter, just a name)

-hamburger, amount depends on number of persons, fried and broken up small
-salt, pepper and lots of garlic to taste (can be garlic powder)

once that is well done, add
-potatoes, cubed, or anyway you want to cut them
-one can, whole kernal corn

cook until potatoes are done and serve.

Beware, for some reason this recipe is addictive...:mrgreen:

Eggs + Rice blended with chicken (Egg Biryani thats what we call it in Urdu). Thats one of my favourites.

1/2 cup Oil
1 cup Yoghurt
Whole Spices
6 Eggs boiled and peeled
1/2 cup crushed brown Onions
500 gms Rice boiled with Salt 3 tbsp
2 tsp Ginger / Garlic
Coriander and Mint leaves chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
Green Chillies chopped
2 tsp Red Chilly powder
Dash of Kewra
2 Potatoes diced
saffron dissolved in 1/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Peas boiled
1/2 tsp All Spice

Heat the oil. Add the whole spices and stir. Add the crushed onions, ginger / garlic, turmeric and red chilly powders. Stir and fry till the oil seperates.Add the potatoes, peas and yoghurt. Bring to a boil, cover and cook till the vegetables are tender. Add the eggs. In another pan spread 1/2 of the boiled rice, over this spread the contents of the 1st pan, sprinkle the coriander and mint leaves, and spread the remaining rice over this. Sprinkle the kewra and saffron on top. Cover the pot and simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes. And the wonderful egg biryani is ready for you ....

commented: Drooooooooling :cry: +2

Arroz con Pollo (from Spain) - converted to Chicken & Rice
this one is easy and delicious

In a large pan, dice a whole chicken and cook in olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste, until done. Meanwhile, in a pot, cook some rice in chicken stock (or cubes)

To the chicken, add onion, red and green peppers, lots of garlic, black olives and oregano. Just before the rice is cooked, add frozen peas and cover to amalgamate the flavors.

Drain the rice and add to the pan, stirring carefully.

Serve..and wait for the praise, they will ask for it again...

Thai Meatball Salad

Sounds complicated but it's not. Qucik 'n' easy, really, and tastes scrumptious!

Meatballs

600g or so of minced beef
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup coarsely chooped fresh coriander
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
1 egg lighly beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients except oil in a bowl, mix well by hand and roll heaped teaspoons of mixture into balls.

Heat oil in a pan and cook in batches until browned all over. Drain on absorbent paper and cool.

Dressing

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated lime rind
2 tablepoons lime juice
1 long red chilli, finely sliced
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup fish sauce

Combine in a screw top jar and shake well to mix.

Salad

200g baby spinach leaves
125g cherry tomatoes, halved
2 radishes, thinly sliced
Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced

Putting it together

Add two thirds of the dressing to the meatball in a salad bowl. Toss well. Combine the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl, add meat balls and remaining dressing. Toss gently to combine and serve.

Well, to help a malnourished ex-colonial :cheesy: heres my input.

1K chicken livers
1 standard tin chopped tomatoes
2 mid to large onions
2 tablespoons tomatoe puree
8 oz rice
Olive oil
Garlic cloves or minced

serves 4.

put 1 1/2 pints of water into a 2 pint pot, put on to boil.
Peel and coursely chop onions, cover and fry gently in olive oil until browned.
Cut chicken livers into small cubes and add to onions when they are ready. Stir in and keep frying until livers are seared.
Add garlic to taste.
Add chopped tomatoes (take out of tin first), add tomatoe puree.
leave simmering slowly, stir regularly.
when water boils add rice bring back to the boil and then simmer until rice has just softened.
put on kettle to boil 2 pints of water.

When rice is ready and kettle is boiling. drain rice into collander, then rince with boiling water from kettle. serve rice onto plates forming a ring aroung the edge of the plate.

Serve cicken livers sauce into centre of rice.

eat.

commented: Thanks thanks thanks .. ^.^ +2

Got a name for that dish? Add some Cajun spice mix and it's awfully like 'Dirty rice'.

I call it Chicken Liver Casserole, My wife calls it 'Oh no not that stuff again', my kids ask for DNA tests to ensure that I am their parent and can thus experiment on them.

But I like it. :cheesy:

Chocolate peanut cup cookies

Preparation Time : 20 Min
Cooking Time : 15 Min
Serves / Makes : 30 cookies

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

3/4 cup white sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips

1 cup peanut butter chips

10 chocolate covered peanut butter cups, cut into eighths

Method
1. Preheat oven to 350 degreesF (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.

3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.

4. Combine the flour, cocoa, and baking soda; stir into the peanut butter mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and peanut butter cups.

5. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Let it cool for 1 or 2 minutes on sheet before removing.

This may sound wierd and gross, but don't knock it till ya try it...

It's a very easy dish that goes good in the morning or as a snack during the day - Sugar Butter n' Rice. Basically you just mix the three till it tastes good. Probably not the most healthiest of dishes, but very tasty! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.