Ok I know we are all from opposite ends of the earth on this forum... so this could be a reach. I talked to my CIS prof. the other day and he was telling a few of us that by the time we get out or even now, to get a decent paying job in CIS you would need a master's degree. Any comments on this? I hail from the great land of horrible weather (michigan), although this weekend has seemed to be an exception. So for all those of you who are in the working world right now, could you lend me your opinion as to what employers are seeking now?

Thanks,
Nate

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

At absolute least a bachelors. An MBA is an amazing way to break into corporate I.T., especiall with computer science or CIS as an undergrad. Also, perhaps some certifications targeted towards the career you're going for. More than anything, experience is important.

Yes I think Dani is right ... I would prefer an MBA IT degree after my BS in CS ... but before that I would be working on some certifications to refine my practical skills .... Experience will matter when I'll gain some.

'decent paying job' generally means being a manager. So, a degree is important, experience is important, but either an MBA or good communication/organization skills are very helpful.

Your first job or two shouldn't be looked at as ways to make money, but ways to gain experience. If you can then get hired as a director of CIS, THEN the money will follow.

Your first job or two shouldn't be looked at as ways to make money, but ways to gain experience. If you can then get hired as a director of CIS, THEN the money will follow.

Chainsaw,
I totally agree, actually right now I'm in my junior year at U of M, but since I just transfered over this fall, so I'm only just starting on my CIS classes. My next plans are to get an internship somewhere so I can get some sort of experience, and then definately doing any kind of work possible to put on my resume - whether it be paid or voluntary, so long as it's experience.

Thank you to everyone for all the great responses, these are very great... hope to here some more opinions too.

Nate

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.