Just got a PM on DaniWeb with this sender:

From Miss Patricia Dick
Abidjan,Cote D'Ivoire

The rest is a typical Nigerian financial scam!

Did anybody else get this?

The user name was blessing12

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

My long lost dead aunt / uncle / brother 10 times removed is dead??!?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

blessing12 has already been banned by someone, so I doubt you will get any more of those PMs.

I understand that most of those Nigerian dead friend/relative scams originate from the Netherlands and the perpetrators are mostly Romanian Gypsy gangs.

blessing12 has already been banned by someone, so I doubt you will get any more of those PMs.

I had that "golden" opportunity ;) thanx to one very supportive member

I understand that most of those Nigerian dead friend/relative scams originate from the Netherlands and the perpetrators are mostly Romanian Gypsy gangs.

No reason for false accusations, however if you interested you can google it few interesting links about scam hunters for your self. Last year one of UK IT magz had about 4 page story on this topic

In case somebody has never seen one of those scams, here is one I got not too long ago, very funny to read, but I warn you, you can lose your own money fast ...

FROM THE DESK OF BARRISTER BROWN CHUKWUDI
BROWN % BROWN CHAMBERS
ADDRESS 182 OLUWA STREET IKEJA
LAGOS NIGERIA
E-MAIL:brown_chukwudi111@yahoo.com

Dear Vega,

I am Barrister, Brown Chukwudi a legal Practitioner. I was the Personal
Attorney and legal adviser to Mr. Robert Vega, a national of your country,
who used to work with Mobil oil Company Nigeria Plc.

On the 21st of August 2000, my client, his wife and their only son were
involved in a car accident along Shagamu Express Road.

All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost their lives. Since then I
have made several enquiries to your embassy to locate any of my client's
extended relatives and this has also proved unsuccessful. After these
unsuccessful attempts,I decided to trace his relatives over the Internet,
but to no avail,hence I contacted you.

I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left
behind by my client before they get confiscated or declared unserviceable by
the Bank where these huge deposits were lodged.

Particularly, the Bank where the deceased had a deposit valued at about Ten
Million,Three hundred and Twenty Thousand, Six Hundred and Forty Five United
States Dollars(USD10,320,645), has issued me a notice to provide the next of
kin to my late client or have the account frozen and the fund forefeited to
the government treasury by the end of this financial year.

Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over two years
now,I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the
deceased,since you are from the same country so that the proceeds of this
account valued at USD10,320,645 can be paid to you.

Thereafter,you and me will share the sum paid to you in the following
ratio:65% to me and 30% to you, while 5% should be for expenses or taxes, as
your Government may require.I am in a position to provide all necessary
legal documents that shall be used to back upthis claims,and all I require
is your acceptance and yourhonest Cooperation to enable us see this deal
through.

I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that
will protect you from any breach of the law.
But to indicate your interest please send the following information.

{1}.CONTACT ADDRESS
{2} FULL NAME
{3} PRIVATE TELEPHONE NUMBER
{4} YOUR AGE AND YOUR OCCUPATION

Please get in touch with me through my
email.brown_chukwudi111@yahoo.com

Best Regards,

Brown Chukwudi.
PLEASE MY DEAR FRIEND REPLY THROUGH THIS
BOX:brown_chukwudi111@yahoo.com

Thanks Vegs - why didn't you just point to the scambusters website rather than post the garbage?

commented: Good point +10

What kind of email is that for a lawyer, anyway?

Some of the stuff on those 419 busting sites is hilarious!

That reminds me, I was selling some stuff online recently.
I only got two hits, both scammers.

So I told both of them to contact me on my alternative email address and just swapped the emails over. Then plonked them both in the kill file.

I just hope they wasted plenty of time trying to out-do each other before they figured out what had happened.

commented: You are THE prankster +10
commented: haha, that made me laugh :) +3

Dutch police run regular operations against these scammers.
Yes, some of them do operate from here, but they're not locals.
They're (mainly) Nigerians living here who act as a front for Nigerian criminal gangs.
Of course it's not just Nigerians, but criminals from many parts of Africa and eastern Europe.

But the majority operating out of the Netherlands? No. Just the ones that get caught (the Nigerian and most other governemts where they originate don't do anything against them).

Thanks Vegs - why didn't you just point to the scambusters website rather than post the garbage?

Could have, should have, would have. Sorry, I was laughing too hard. This thing has sucker written all over it! Maybe stupid people deserve to have their money taken away?

I read my first one of these in the mid-nineties and all my greed senses pegged at 11 but I was burned at a carnival as a youth so I recognized that they were trying to overwhelm my intellect.

The latest one is, 'My wife was killed in a car accident a year ago and I have terminal cancer and will die in X months. Since we have no children, i would like to donate my estate of some-tremendous-amount to an orphanage but don't know of any. If you help me find a suitable one I will give you a-smaller-amount-but-still-a-lot-of-money.' Can we call them "human" beings. Although, the only reason the scams work is because of greed on the part of the responder. If the total amount offered in all of these scams were added together it would equal many times the known wealth of the world. Report these to spam@uce.gov. Spam would soon clog the iternet if it wasn't filtered out.

Never heard of Nigerian Scams, very interesting way to fleece some rather stupid people.

Here's an interesting recent link from some Nigerian official who thinks that the victims are as guilty as the perpetrators and should be arrested too:

http://merimbula.yourguide.com.au/news/national/national/general/jail-the-greedy-scam-victims-says-nigerian-diplomat/1251111.aspx

One of WC Fields' movies was titled "You can't cheat an honest man". Most scams are based on the idea of getting something for nothing ie GREED - sometimes it is dressed up with some do-good/feel-good stuff but but greed it is.

<wow, I can't believe that this thread is someone's first look at the Nigerian scam! Take a look at some of the other scams available.>

how about my first one :)
From my hotmail account:

Marie SOLO
Church Evangelique 7emeTranche
Angré
26 rue 12 Abidjan
Cote divoire

Dearest brother,

Please tell to your father to help me after you finish to read this message i know you have 15 years old.
I know this mail will come to you as a surprise since we have not had previous correspondence, please bear with me. I will really like to have a good relationship with you, and I have a special reason why I decided to contact you.
I am Miss Marie SOLO 19 years old girl from Cote dIvoire, the only daughter of Late Mr Robert SOLO.
Iam constrained to contact you because of the maltreatment I am receiving from my Uncles.
Theyplanned to take away all my late father's treasury and properties from me since the unexpected death of my beloved Parents.
Meanwhile I wanted to escape to anywhere i can have a good lifebut he hides away my international passport and other valuable travelling documents. Luckily he did not discover where I kept my fathers File which contains important documents.
So Idecided to run to an orphanage camp where I am presenty hiding under Church of God Evangelique 7è Tranche Abidjan-Cote D'Ivoire where my late father deposited some amount ofmoney in a bank.. I wish to contact you personally for a long term business relationship andinvestment assistance in anywhere in the world.
My late father deposited the sum of US$5.5million Five million Five Hundred united state dollars) in one of the leading bank with my name asthe next of kin.
However, I shall forward to you with the necessary documents onconfirmation of your acceptance to assist me for the transfer of the money to your account, and investment of the fund. As you will help me in an investment, and I will like to complete my studies, as I was formerly a medical student, when the crisis started.
If you are willing to help me in this kindly get back to me as soon as possible.
I am waiting for your urgent and positive response.
Please do keep this only to your self please I plead you not to disclose it till I come over to your country after the transfer.I am willing to offer you 20% of the total sums compensation of your effort and 5% for any other expence you made after a successful transfer.

Thank you and God bless.

Please i need your reply urgently from my yahoo box: mariesolo2008@yahoo.com

Marie

See the

i know you have 15 years old.

part, I guess they took a quick look at my profile ;)

Why do you guys keep posting the entire scam here - especially right after I pointed this thread to scambusters. Do think it gets more interesting after the 10,000th time we see it?

i know you have 15 years old.

part, I guess they took a quick look at my profile

That's a new twist. Of course they have a bot to check the profiles so they can send out thousands of e-mails. Last week on the news was a story about a college student who wanted to earn extra money, so signed up to be a secret shopper via the web. I did not know that this is the latest scam. After a couple of assignments she was sent a cashiers check for $1550.00, and told to deposit the check in her account, subtract $200.00 as a commission and send a money order to them for the rest as a test of money order efficiency. A $200.00 commission for sending a money order??, plus sending a $1 money order has the same efficiency as a $1350.00 money order.....no red flags there. The casher's check was conterfeit of course and she's out the money. The "15 years old" reminded me of this. Evidently teenagers are seen as easy marks for these type of scams.

Why do you guys keep posting the entire scam here - especially right after I pointed this thread to scambusters. Do think it gets more interesting after the 10,000th time we see it?

This thread is more or less for people on DaniWeb that have been exposed to scams. Is there a new twist? How did we handle them?

We could in the future always reference some website and never communicate at all!

You are correct sir. I will stop complaining when someone posts 2 screens worth of garbage to tell you that they changed a line in there somewhere.

If this were about new, improved scams, I would agree but pages and pages of minor variants of the Nigerian scam is just tedius. I will take my whinging to a different thread.

You are correct sir. I will stop complaining when someone posts 2 screens worth of garbage to tell you that they changed a line in there somewhere.

If this were about new, improved scams, I would agree but pages and pages of minor variants of the Nigerian scam is just tedius. I will take my whinging to a different thread.

Some folks think wining is relaxing.

commented: It's wine which is relaxing ;) +21
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.