I've had enough of it because every little thing that happens I loose the sound. So tonight I got rid of it and went back to XP Pro. Glad I had duel booted the two operating systems because it was very easy to get rid of the duel boot option. Right now I'm reformatting my D drive where I had it installed. I also had to uninstall a lot of stuff from XP because they were installed on D drive, which I am now reformatting.

Anyone considerinstalling Vista -- don't. You will have nothing but headaches.

Salem commented: Hasta la VISTA baby +20
Nick Evan commented: Good advice! +8
The Dude commented: Xcellent thread and good advice Dragon :) +8

Recommended Answers

All 55 Replies

I have only heard horror stories about upgrading from XP to VISTA. It is almost impossible to buy a new machine with XP (especially laptops) in stead of VISTA. I got a really good deal on my toshiba with 2 gigs of memory installed But I don't like VISTA but it hasn't bit me yet (well, I have found some programs that won't work on it but...); I still have an XP machine for gaming. (I use FoxMarks to keep my bookmarks sync.ed).

Upgrading a machine to Vista is, IMO, a crapshoot. First, most PCs that were fine in XP will need hardware upgrades to meet the realistic minimums for Vista, so the cost to upgrade becomes nearly, if not, the cost of a new PC. Then, drivers.............

On a decent machine made for Vista, with proper drivers, it seems to run stable and has speed comparable to XP - most mortals probably can't tell the difference (since SP1, anyway).

I find it interesting that the big brands have realized that the PCs have to be beefier to be worthwhile - I'm seeing low to mid tier machines, like you find in the Big Box stores at the $500 point (including 20" LCD) coming with 4GB RAM and 250GB drives- that would have been hard to find in upper level machines 6 months ago.

My tip #1 for Vista use - get TweakUAC.exe and use that to turn off all the d*&^ warning dialogs - you can keep UAC working in the background, just not be bothered by it. See my rant in Techies Lounge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glad I had duel booted the two operating systems

While I usually go crazy about people using "duel boot" in place of the correct "dual boot" term, in this instance, maybe you used the right word;) (Some of my former jobs involved a lot of editing other people's writing. Old habits die hard.)

Thankyou for "TweakUAC.exe" - I have been looking for a tweaker for VISTA

It's a one-trick pony. I've not found anything quite like XP's TweakUI powertoy - there's some that come close, but not for free.

Iv'e been using vista ultimate (without SP1 for most of the time), and to tell you the truth, I think its great and easy to use. Iv'e never really had any problems with it, and I have only ever found 1 bug in it (you delete a file but the icon remains there..)

>Anyone considerinstalling Vista -- don't. You will have nothing but headaches.
So to be totally honest, I dont agree with this. I say try it out first, off a friend who has it, or in a store. But you shoulden't just jump to conclusions and just say "Vista is just plain crap" ;)

I bought a new machine a month ago because my 1800 celeron deserved his retirement.
So I was thinking: "If I'm going to buy something, I better buy something good"
So I'm now the proud owner of a quad-core with 4 gb ram etc etc...

That was where the trouble started. Apparently, XP doesn't like 4 cores. So to get maximum performance, I needed Vista or XP64. After deciding to go with the flow and just buy vista, the problems started.

- printer drivers? -> no, trow it in the bin.
- scanner drivers? -> no, trow it in the bin.
- capturecard? - -> no, trow it in the bin.

These devices were about 2 years old, but there's no way in hell you'll get them to work on vista, so now I forced to buy new stuff, or follow AD's example and make a dual boot system. :@

But looking from the bright side: When XP first came out, I hated it almost as much as I currently hate Vista. So maybe I'll 'get used' to it.

>Anyone considerinstalling Vista -- don't. You will have nothing but headaches.
I've only had one problem with Vista, and it wasn't caused by Vista. But I fixed that particular issue (with my graphics card driver) and now everything is just peachy.

>I say try it out first, off a friend who has it, or in a store.
That only serves to test whether you can tolerate the interface. It doesn't give you any idea how Vista will run on your system.

If you look back in the annals of Windows, you'll discover that XP had the exact same problems. People were whining that XP was too slow, and XP was incompatible with everything, and XP was crap. If you take just about any complaint about Vista and replace "Vista" with "XP", it's like deja vu. But how many people now running XP would be willing to drop back to Windows 98 or NT?

Got 2 systems running Vista, no problems with either (except a shoddy soundcard in one of them, but that's a hardware problem, loose connector somewhere).

I expect it to be the "ME" of 64 bit, the next version will hopefully be a better upgrade.

Remember you can only use 3.6 (seems to vary from system to system but almost always less than 4 gig) gigs of memory unless you run the 64 bit version

Remember you can only use 3.6 (seems to vary from system to system but almost always less than 4 gig) gigs of memory unless you run the 64 bit version

Oh, you'll need at least that.

Well, Microsoft could have come up with something less childish, but then they have pretty much a monopoly in the PC OS market. There was not really an incentive to do better.

Vista is crap.......

I wouldnt recommend this POS to my worstest enemy!!

You know, I'm not the biggest microsoft fan, but I will say that XP was an awsome OS. How can they go from XP to that trash.

Here's an idea...

Instead of buying Vista, wait until 2011 for Windows 7

I'd rather wait 3-5 years for a new OS than invest in one that will become yesterdays news fairly soon.

commented: Good idea. Most ppl don't need to be on the "new" OS every 3 years mill M$ would have us believe. +20

A big problem is the drivers. I bought a laptop with Vista installed on it a year an a half ago. It came with a disk with drivers on it, but they were all Vista drivers. I checked the manufacturer's website for other drivers and all there were were Vista drivers. I tried installing XP on it and hoping that it either wouldn't need drivers or that the XP disk would have them (I didn't think there was much chance of that working and it didn't) or that the Vista drivers would work (they didn't). It was a complete disaster, so I reinstalled Vista, which works fine in most cases, but it clearly has a bunch of security "features" that I don't know much about and the long and short of it was that a whole bunch of programs like MySQL couldn't really install correctly out of the gate at the time (a year ago), or you had to do a bunch of tweaking. I'm wondering if Microsoft tells these laptop manufacturers not to provide XP drivers? I have friends swear that Vista is just fantastic once you "get the hang of it", but I wouldn't know since I don't have the hang of it yet.

Here's an idea...

I'd rather wait 3-5 years for a new OS than invest in one that will become yesterdays news fairly soon.

I wait a few years on everything if I can on the assumption that it takes a few years to get all the bugs out. Being the first one on the block with a new product can be cool, but it is inadvisable in my opinion when it comes to software and Operating Systems and brand new medical procedures/drugs.

commented: Yeah, wait for "SP3" of any M$ product. It's usually pretty well finished by then. +20

This will be just as much a piece of crap as vista is believe me!!

commented: Why should we believe you? -3

> This will be just as much a piece of crap as vista is believe me!!
Out of curiosity, why is it that you hate Vista so much ?

> This will be just as much a piece of crap as vista is believe me!!
Out of curiosity, why is it that you hate Vista so much ?

quite simple. The typical kiddo style "I h8te Micro$oft" attitude. They just think it's "kewl" to "hate" Microsoft, that it will score then brownie points with their "friends".

>>>Why should we believe you? - John A

:) This is good rep on a rep comment.

commented: This is rep comment on comment on a rep comment :) +8

quite simple. The typical kiddo style "I h8te Micro$oft" attitude. They just think it's "kewl" to "hate" Microsoft, that it will score then brownie points with their "friends".

It's ok to hate Microsoft, I do too, but for a good reason, I am a web developer and they make my life that much harder. But they have done some good things in the past that they should be recognized for that. For example XMLHTTP.

But, you must admit that their quality control is *^&%. And I hate any company that outsources work. Its like cheating your own country's economy.

their quality control is no better or worse than that of any other company.
It's just that their products are so much more complex than most, which means that it's impossible to find all problems with them in a timeframe that's economically feasible.

I have no problems with IE for websites. As long as you stick to W3C standards IE will work with them well.
Can't say that of the competition.

commented: Good post :) +3

their quality control is no better or worse than that of any other company.
It's just that their products are so much more complex than most, which means that it's impossible to find all problems with them in a timeframe that's economically feasible.

That's an important point to ponder. Consider that any Windows version is expected to be stable on a virtually infinite combination of hardware, and support software that may have been written for Windows of several generations back. Some days I'm amazed it works at all. Other days, I'll be the first one to make an M$ joke.

For those that "just hate Vista" - fine. But if you're gonna make a scene about it, at least say something substantive - what features (or lack thereof) do you hate? What would you fix/change to make it better? Otherwise, just go sulk in a corner and run Win98SE (that was nice and solid) or Win2K or your favorite flavor of Linux or OS X. Or just go play with your Gameboy/PS/Wii. I'll bet I can find something to hate about all them, too!

commented: Ive just enjoyed you point of view in the past and figured id use this reutation thing, although its probably pointless. +1

I have no problems with IE for websites. As long as you stick to W3C standards IE will work with them well.
Can't say that of the competition.

That's funny, I test for Opera, FF, Safari and IE and find myself adjusting specifically for IE more than any other browser. Sounds more like a bias to me than anything else.

It's just that their products are so much more complex than most

Solutions don't always have to be so damn complex.

solutions can be more simple, but they'd be far more specific than what Microsoft creates.
If Microsoft were to go that way you'd get software like Apple's Mac stuff that only runs on a particular CPU fitted onto a specific motherboard with a specific videocard and soundcard, etc. etc.

That's why Apple's Mac software is so much more stable than their Windows software. As soon as they enter the chaos that is the hardware market in which Microsoft moves they're subject to the same problems Microsoft is.

Without microsoft the people would realize why they make our lives better. Until then people will complain.

On the vista side of things, i hated it when i first tried it because thats when it first came out, but now im getting used to it and it seems to be more stable then at first. Hey, you got to give them credit, they are working on it. Xp, however, is my main choice and will be for some time (until i need something else) but until then xp works perfect for me and ive learned the ins and outs enough that im very comfortable with it. I think thats the problem with vista they changed to much for the old "stuck in their ways" types of people who were just completing their personal training on Xp.

I have three machines with vista ultimate, Xp pro, opensuse 11 and kubuntu running between them but i alway find myself on XP.

Well Xp is working great . There's no reason to upgrade into Vista when you have to pay for both Vista / hardware costs and then you have a buggy OS which has a lot of problems with existing softwares . No thanks , I prefer windows xp / linux partition .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.