If you got some extra money pleease help support johnscompany.net, please donate via this link: https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=hexstar%40gmail.com&item_name=Donation+to+webmaster+of+Johnscompany.net+for+better+server&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD - this money will be used to get a new g5 mac from apple for a server for johnscompany.net, I need to raise $2,666 for the server (to purchase it), specs of it are:

• Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
• 2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB DDR SDRAM
• 56k V.92 internal modem
• 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Card
• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
• YellowDog Linux - U.S. English

any donations of $5 US dollars or higher are greatly appreciated, thanks....sorry I guess this could be seen as spam but I really need this support and will continue to make useful posts on this forum (won't spam anymore)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Why would anyone donate money to you for your new computer?
Did you donate money to any of us when we wanted a new toy to play with?

If it's for a company website the company should pay. If they don't have the money they should go to the bank with a sound investment plan and try to get a loan.

If it's for yourself save up until you can afford it.

I would gladly donate money to this site if I had any money...that's the whole reason I need donations...I have no job, and am a under 18 teenager in highschool trying to run a website...I posted this thread thinking that some people here may be kind enough to help me out, believe me if I have some extra money after purchasing the server I'll gladly donate to this site, no problem there

If you're so poor how are you going to fork out the cost of a datacenter to place your server?
Your ISP most likely will not allow you to host a large scale webserver from your bedroom and terminate your account when they find out (which they will).
As a hosting solution where you place your machine in a datacenter costs hundreds of dollars a month the cost of the actual machine is peanuts in comparison over time.

So you either plan to come here begging for more money to keep the machine running every month, never wanted a webserver at all but a nice machine to show off to your friends, or you didn't ever consider the hosting cost in which case you're going to have to rethink your plans.

In either case there's no reason at all for any of us to spend the money towards your playstation.

commented: mean, bad spirited, obviously looking for attention and trying to start a flame war +0

my ISP does not care about me hosting a server through my connection, a g5 is not a playstation, far from it, if you look at the specs I posted it'll be VERY powerful, pleease donate - thanks....there must be a kind soul on this forum somewhere...this is not a lie, scam, or whatever else one may think this is, this is a honest request from a teenager looking for money to purchase a new mac to be used as a dedicated server

$2,666??? GOOD LORD!

Why not build a dual processor x86 box, where things will be WAY cheaper, and you can do same as everything with one of those as you could do with that G5 box?

Okay, beggers can't be choosers, but let's examine your config, and see where changes could be made to save money:

• Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

Again, why G5's? Athlon XP's, or Athlon64's would be WAY cheaper. Heck, depending on the traffic you're getting, you might be able to do for a P3 or something.

• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
• 2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB DDR SDRAM

Do you really need this beefy of a video card? If this thing's a server, go get a used PCI 8MB or 16MB video card, because you will not need that much video memory or power if you're not doing any graphics processing.

• 56k V.92 internal modem

Are you going to be serving over dialup? If not, you don't need this. You could choose to omit it if building your own x86 box.
• 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
I'll give you this, since you've got 500GB of space on this box.
• PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Card
Do you have a Gigabit LAN? If you're running this over broadband, a 10Mbit card would do. Besides, you can pick up a 10/100Mbit card for $10, easy.

• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

Again, if this is a server, these are almost pointless. Get a $10 keyboard, and a $10 mouse. Since it's a server, you can just borrow one from another machine temporarily. From there, since you're running Linux, you can just SSH or VNC into it to do all of your adminstration.

• YellowDog Linux - U.S. English

Retail box? Grab Fedora Core from a retailer, or just download it. Later on, donate some money to the developers. Your options really open up when running x86. Debian or FreeBSD, anyone?

If you're going to ask people for money to get a server, at least make it look like you're trying to be judicious. I've got enough money right now to buy the box you're after, but I still would be picking up a P3, or lower spec, if I were going to build a webserver.

He just copied the specs from Apple's website, the box comes with those things as standard.

Remains that what he's claiming to want as a webserver is really a highend graphics workstation for photographers and graphicists, not a server machine at all.
Which, if he knows what he's doing (which is someone doubtful but let's give him benefit of doubt for now) means he knows full well he doesn't want a server and just wants a free new workstation for a hobby or company at our expense...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.