This thread includes thoughts from and about our Canadian friends too.

US Elections:
Too much Pluribus, not enough Unum.

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

I have a lot of friends in Canada (just a few miles away from my place) and they tell me that these are the Canadian national song lyrics:

"First come the black flies,
Then the Horse flies,
Then the Deer flies,
Then the snow flies!"

You May Be A Canadian ...

You're not offended by the term "Homo Milk"
You eat chocolate bars instead of candy bars.
You drink pop, not soda.
You don't hold your hand on your breast when you sing the national anthem.
You know that francophones, or anglophones are not electronic devices.
You don't care about the fuss with Cuba, it's just a cheap place to travel
to and has good cigars.
When there is a social problem, you turn to your government to fix it
instead of telling them to stay out of it.
You're not sure if the leader of our nation has EVER had sex and don't
want to know if he has!
Pike is a type of fish, not some part of a highway.

Top 10 Reasons for being North American:

1. You can have a woman president without electing her

2. You can spell colour wrong and get away with it

3. You can call Budweiser a beer

4. You can be a crook and still be president

5. If you've got enough money you can get elected to do anything

6. If you can breathe you can get a gun

7. You can invent a new public holiday every year

8. You can play golf in the most hideous clothes ever made and nobody seems to care

9. You get to call everyone you've never met "buddy"

Typical official communications between Canadians and their neighbours to the South.

Americans: "Please divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision."

Canadians: "Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision."

Americans: "This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course."

Canadians: "No, I say again, divert YOUR course."

Americans: "This is the aircraft carrier USS Missouri. We are a large warship of the US Navy. DIVERT YOUR COURSE *NOW*."

Canadians: "We are a lighthouse. Your call."

commented: LOL I liked that one :) Although Canadians are also Americans. +36

Five leading countries the US imports oil from (in 1000 Barrels/Day):

CANADA 1,883
SAUDI ARABIA 1,479
MEXICO 1,124
VENEZUELA 1,085
NIGERIA 946

Typical official communications between Canadians and their neighbours to the South.

Americans: "Please divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision."

Canadians: "Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision."

Americans: "This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course."

Canadians: "No, I say again, divert YOUR course."

Americans: "This is the aircraft carrier USS Missouri. We are a large warship of the US Navy. DIVERT YOUR COURSE *NOW*."

Canadians: "We are a lighthouse. Your call."

That is very funny, but I hope you realize that Canadians and Mexicans are also Americans. America refers to the North American continent, not the USA.

If we call folks from Mexico Mexicans and folks from Canada Canadians, what do we call the folks that live in the good old USA?

Also, America refers to North, Central and South America.

If we call folks from Mexico Mexicans and folks from Canada Canadians, what do we call the folks that live in the good old USA?

Yankee Doodles? Good question, since Americans would be inhabitants of the entire American continent. I demand congressional action to clear this up!!!

We are all Americans.

I love it, thank! I needed that.

Showing a toilet on early US TV was so taboo, that the first toilet ever seen on TV wasn't until the comedy series "Leave It to Beaver."

Things have changed a little since then!

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
(quoted by a fine American, Albert Einstein)

Canada has no president. Canada's government is a Parliamentary democracy (federal constitutional monarchy) whose Monarch is Queen Elizabeth II. Canada has a Prime Minister.

Colorado and Hawaii are the only two states in the United States where all the water flows out of the state.

Love that Coors stuff!

Vancouver Canada is tied with Zurich Switzerland for the highest quality of life of any city in the world.

Awww. Two leaches on the back of working folk.

Awww. Two leaches on the back of working folk.

????????????????

Alaska is the US state with the highest percentage of people who walk to work.

21% of the people that live in Wyoming have no teeth.

As a youth in Montana, I worked on a ranch with a guy named Pick-Eye Pete - lunch with this guy was pretty disgusting. He was an old bare-knuckle boxer and had a lot of good stories but dang... lunch with him was too much.

The state with the highest number of alcoholics is Wisconsin.

We are Alaska:
Our size is 586,400 Square Miles
We are 2 times the size of Texas
We have 29 volcanoes
We have 33,000 miles of coastline!
1,400 miles North to South
2,700 miles East to West
We own over 1/2 the world's Glaciers
Just 55 miles east of Russia
Alaska purchased from Russia in 1867 for under 2 cents an acre
We are the only state to have coastlines on three different seas:
Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea.

Record high temperature: 1915 +100F
Record low temperature: Tanana -78F
Record Snow: 974 inches in 1 year in Valdez

Our State Flower is the "Forget-me-not"
Our State Sport is "Dog Mushing"

Anchorage with a population of 277,000 is Alaska's largest city with 42 percent of the state's total population.

We are Alaska:
Our size is 586,400 Square Miles
We are 2 times the size of Texas
We have 29 volcanoes
We have 33,000 miles of coastline!
1,400 miles North to South
2,700 miles East to West
We own over 1/2 the world's Glaciers
Just 55 miles east of Russia
Alaska purchased from Russia in 1867 for under 2 cents an acre
We are the only state to have coastlines on three different seas:
Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea.

Record high temperature: 1915 +100F
Record low temperature: Tanana -78F
Record Snow: 974 inches in 1 year in Valdez

Our State Flower is the "Forget-me-not"
Our State Sport is "Dog Mushing"

Anchorage with a population of 277,000 is Alaska's largest city with 42 percent of the state's total population.

If I could start my life all over again and know everything that I know now, the first opportunity that I had I would move to Alaska. Oh well.

Can you imagine, a state twice the size of Texas and almost no Texans in it?

The Texas State Flower is the Bluebonnet
The Texas State Sport is _____________

Hmmmm, my guess is eating barbecue or chili con carne.

I looked it up on the internets:
Rodeo is the official state sport of Texas, though High School Football is more popular.

Overheard in a bar in Montana:"If the Texans don't shut up about how much better they are than anyone else - we will split Alaska into 2 states and make Texas the third largest state."

Overheard in a bar in Montana:"If the Texans don't shut up about how much better they are than anyone else - we will split Alaska into 2 states and make Texas the third largest state."

That won't shut them up, because they simply are so much better!

Everything is bigger, louder and faster in Texas. That does include ego.

Has anyone heard this song from Canada? I like the idea of bundling up all the unused ballots from the US elections and offering them to the rest of the world on a first come first served basis. US elections have so much of an impact on how the world goes - well, if we don't vote then we should let them.

Heh,Heh - Hey, JW - you could vote for your rightwing agenda, eh?!

Spanglish is a mix of Spanish and English that flows well when spoken. It is getting more and morer popular in the USA.

Spanglish is a mix of Spanish and English that flows well when spoken. It is getting more and morer popular in the USA.

Yeah! There was a radio station in Tuscon in the mid-90s called k-hot that did Spanglish and also alternated between English and Spanish every other sentence. It was pretty cool and the music was HOT.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.